Early Sonic 3 prototype found, features major differences to the final game

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 17, 2019.

Front-page

Previously, Hidden Palace and The Cutting Room Floor announced their "Sonic Month" event, where documentation on never before seen Sonic the Hedgehog prototypes would be unveiled, courtesy of drx. The first handful of prototypes to be shown were of Sonic CD, followed by some early versions of Sonic Chaos and Sonic 2. Today, yet another prototype has been revealed, and this could be the most important one yet. An early build of Sonic 3, dated November 3, 1993, has been dumped, with lots of content to discover within its code.

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3_(Nov_3,_1993_prototype).2019-09-13_20.03.41.png Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3_(Nov_3,_1993_prototype).2019-09-13_20.02.23.png Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3_(Nov_3,_1993_prototype).2019-09-13_20.07.29.png

Booting the ROM brings up a WIP version of the title screen, featuring a completely different looking sprite of Sonic from the final build. Sonic also features his older sprite set from Sonic 2, surfboarding onto Angel Island instead of hopping off the Tornado and going Super Sonic as he does in the completed version. There is also no insta-shield, however, there is something entirely unexpected: a move that is almost identical to Sonic Mania's Drop Dash. By jumping in the air, and holding up+jump, Sonic will spindash the moment he lands. It also appears that Sonic would have other unique moves, as there is unused code present for an "air dash" attack, and a ring throw ability, where he could attack badniks with them.

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3_(Nov_3,_1993_prototype).2019-09-13_20.01.44.png Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3_(Nov_3,_1993_prototype).2019-09-13_20.01.55.png Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3_(Nov_3,_1993_prototype).2019-09-13_20.20.54.png

Continuing on, a level-select that looks very much like Sonic 2's features Flying Battery, Mushroom Valley, and Sandopolis as stages for Sonic 3, while beta Lava Reef tilesets are present, which as we all know, these levels would all later be cut from the game and moved over to Sonic & Knuckles. An hour-and-a-half video has been uploaded showcasing the gameplay of the prototype in full, for those interested.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (69 replies)
  1. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    Yoni Arousement and loler55 like this.
  2. PineappleGod

PineappleGod Banished God (My name's Piney)

Oct 2, 2019
    United States
    Now in GhostLatte's van!
    Very interested to take a peek and play the ROM, but my moral standards are preventing me from doing so. (。•́︿•̀。)

3. eskinner3742

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Professional Lurker

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    This is a must for me. Sonic 3 was my childhood

Yoni Arousement, Vorde, Robz8 and 6 others like this.
  4. PineappleGod

PineappleGod Banished God (My name's Piney)

Oct 2, 2019
    United States
    Now in GhostLatte's van!
    I became nothing but Sonic 3.

5. Freezerbomb

Freezerbomb Likes tacos

Aug 17, 2018
    United States
    A psychiatrist might help with that. :P

souhukyafod, vpd, Vorde and 6 others like this.
  6. drazenm

drazenm Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2008
    United States
    Have no idea who at all cares about sonic. Sonic was never Mario nor it will ever be, maybe Sonic was popular in the US but nothing at all world wide. Characterless character.

loler55 and Naster like this.
  7. alexenochs

alexenochs GBAtemp Fan

Aug 30, 2010
    United States
    wonder if anyone thats kick ass at rom hacking will take these stages and re-ad them to the finished game PLUS the knuckle sequences basically giving sonic 3 a diffrent ending and the other moves sonic has here aswell

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I was wondering if this was just going to be before the split into Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles but this is more than that.

Because by doing so you are denying Sega the money for Sonic 3 that you already own or could easily buy a copy of?

9. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    Oh I like the different instruments in Angel Island Act 2

Yoni Arousement and Robz8 like this.
  10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I don't know about that. Sonic has a lot of fans. Maybe not as many as Mario though.

E1ite007, brenokk, tyrantnyx and 13 others like this.
  11. ChiefReginod

ChiefReginod Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    United States
    California
    The music..! The PC version was actually the original soundtrack the whole time! If you're a YM2612 fanatic like me, this is the most amazing prototype release in at least a decade just based on this alone.

Can't wait to hear the VGM rips.

12. Ammako

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    That's sick, more interesting than the movie.

13. NeoSlyde

NeoSlyde Let us start the game

Mar 6, 2015
    France
    Morocco
    I’m pretty sure Air Dash is now the Hyper Sonic move: Hyper Flash

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Sonic >>>>>>>>>>>> poop > Mario
    Tho..

Only uncult kids will say the opposite ;)

14. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    The franchise has sold 105.14 million units at retail worldwide, 52.9 million units, were from North America. 35.24 million of the games sold were from Europe, while 5.17 million of the units sold were in Japan.

How on earth can you claim the sonic franchise is only popular in North America when you look at the European sales figures??

Pleng, FateForWindows, Vorde and 8 others like this.
  15. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    There aren't any morals involved with this, unless you redistribute this for money. This is not a product for sale, and if you somehow had police confiscate your computer for having it and they question you, you should counter "where can I pay for a copy of this specific prototype of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 that was never sold anywhere?"

Also I've been watching all the livestreams, and I did not expect this at the end. I thought the two prototypes late in development was all we had for so many years. To see such an early development prototype was found is just god damn amazing - to the point I didn't even think what I was watching was real.

Robz8, banjo2 and Silent_Gunner like this.
  16. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    i want zuber knucliz

17. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    So, does this have the music composed by the Smooth Criminal himself!?

18. budtoka420

budtoka420 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2012
    United States
    Disney plus sucks for removing stark raving dad

Glyptofane likes this.
  19. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Anyone remember that odd line of rings embedded into the wall above a cave area of 3 power up boxes near the end of act 2 of Angel Island? (note this was fixed in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Have to play Sonic 3 stand a lone to see this)

Looks like this prototype solves where those came from. Same line of rings appears to be there, but the whole section where the power up boxes isn't there. Looks like they changed the layout of this area and forgot to remove the old placement of the rings. :P

FateForWindows, Robz8, KiiWii and 4 others like this.