Early Sonic 3 prototype found, features major differences to the final game

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 17, 2019.

1. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    I think you live in a parallel world, man...

Last edited by pustal, Nov 18, 2019
    Pleng, FateForWindows, Robz8 and 7 others like this.
  2. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Nope. The crazy twist is that every one thought the Sonic & Knuckles Collection used some general brand quickly-tossed-together MIDI songs for the music as they couldn't use the Michael Jackson music, but it turns out that music is in this prototype (sounding new for the first time as it uses the Genesis instrumentation instead of a PC's soundcard generic PC sound). So, this whole time we've actually been hearing prototype music! It also helps establish that he was involved, and brought on later to score some tracks.

It's hard to still establish why the tracks were added, and the credits not mentioning him, though. His allegations were running before this build came out, and only a month later did it get heated up with his sister testifying against him, so that seems such an odd and short time to add music, only to have the credit retracted. Then again, considering the extremely short development time they had for this, and seeing the state of how incomplete this is for a game to come out only 4 months later, it looks like some decisions were made quite rash.

3. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    all I have to say is that that gameplay is painful to watch.
    and it also bothers me that the sound emulation isn't on point (no lowpass filter, those rings sound too sharp), but I'm nitpicking too much I guess.
    otherwise, nice discovery.

EDIT: I stand corrected. the sound emulation is on point, my headphones confirmed it for me.

Last edited by Sakitoshi, Nov 17, 2019
  4. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Nitpicking on extremely early development on a rushed game - yeah. You aren't wrong, and you can add on that the sound chip is constantly crying throughout the game, but that's the beauty of seeing these prototypes and how they evolved eventually to the final product from these early stages.

5. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    I was reading about The Simpsons episode Stark Raving Dad recently and according to that, MJ voiced the lines in the episode, but they used an impersonator to sing Happy Birthday Lisa even though MJ allegedly wrote the song. He wasn't credited for any of that either. Supposedly, his record contract wouldn't allow him to do anything without their approval/setting it up, and I guess singing the song would be an even bigger breach for him than just doing the lines? Anyway, I would imagine the Sonic 3 situation was similar to that.

Last edited by Glyptofane, Nov 17, 2019
    budtoka420, Silent_Gunner and Jonna like this.
  6. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    nah, I know I can't expect perfect results. but I though the sound emulation was too crisp while a real genesis has a lowpass filter going on (that emulators usually leave off by default) and slightly muffles the sound to hide the imperfections of the chip.
    turns out I put my headphones on and it sounded like it should, so I was wrong about that.
    the guy that was playing though isn't too familiar with sonic or the physics are really fucked up to constantly bump into hazards and enemies like he does.

Last edited by Sakitoshi, Nov 17, 2019
  7. James_

James_ *Meowstic noises*

Oct 2, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Meowstic Land
    This is incredible to see. It's weird yet interesting to see Sonic 2 sprites in Sonic 3 and all that stuff. It obviously looks a bit rushed in some places, but imagine if this was the final product. Just imagine what a world we would've lived in. To be honest it wouldn't be all that different

Also, Sonic on a surfboard is probably one of the best things I've seen all year

8. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Sonic is popular in the UK and France. In fact Sonic is freaking popular in France, even more so than in the USA.

The Sega Genesis actually had a quite decent sound for a 16 bit system but the music has to be changed to save space and Michael didn't like the end result so he asked for his name to be removed. He was probably expecting something that sounded as great at the Moonwalker Arcade game but Sonic 3 wasn't a Sega CD game and so space had to be saved. That or legal problems.

Last edited by raxadian, Nov 17, 2019
    Jonna likes this.
  9. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Don't feed the trolls.

The most interesting thing about this prototype is that it contains the alternate music for Carnival Night and Ice Cap before they were swapped out with the Michael Jackson tracks. These were previously only used in the 1996 PC release. Since it is those tracks preventing Sega from being able to re-release the game, Sega should really just use these in future releases.

Worldblender, Robz8, raxadian and 5 others like this.
  10. Graxer

Graxer Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2016
    Also, Sonic is even more popular in Europe than the US. It is true that Sonic isn't big in Japan though.

Its just a troll trolling. If it isn't, they need to get their facts straight.

Last edited by Graxer, Nov 17, 2019
    Robz8, banjo2 and AirbusX like this.
  11. AirbusX

AirbusX Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2018
    United States
    I thank god Sonic was never Mario! If you dislike Sonic so much, why waste time posting your meaningless opinion on a post about Sonic. Go get laid or something, probably not possible I imagine.

Anyway, this is a fantastic find!!! I hope we get to play the ROM soon!

Last edited by AirbusX, Nov 17, 2019
  12. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    As I said, don't feed the troll. There's only one reason why a person would say they dislike Sonic in a Sonic thread.

Robz8, AirbusX and Jonna like this.
  13. Graxer

Graxer Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2016
    Yoni Arousement, AirbusX and cvskid like this.
  14. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    You sure about that ? Sonic is Sega's mascot and he had enough popularity to get his own cartoon played around the world and now is getting his movie ,he has made billions. It's also the one character not owned by Nintendo that has appeared with Super Mario and the Nintendo brand the most :) Respect

NeoSlyde likes this.
  15. NeoSlyde

NeoSlyde Let us start the game

Mar 6, 2015
    France
    Morocco
    Sonic got 4 cartoons if I remember well..

SatAM, Sonic Underground, Sonic X, Sonic Boom

Robz8 and Teletron1 like this.
  16. Jokey_Carrot

Jokey_Carrot ̶g̶b̶a̶t̶e̶m̶p̶ Heroin Addict

Oct 23, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Britian
    E
    Europeans: what the fuck is a Mario

NeoSlyde likes this.
  17. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!