Early Sonic 3 prototype found, features major differences to the final game

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 17, 2019.

1. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2014
    United States
    To those hating on DRX's gameplay, he isn't just playing Sonic 3 he's trying to show off everything different, obviously if you just want him to rush to the end like a normal play through he is gonna miss a ton of stuff.

VinsCool, Ammako, MushGuy and 3 others like this.
  2. Vivisector

Vivisector Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2019
    United States
    Its an unreleased prototype, and as long as you own a legit copy of Sonic 3 I don't see any moral issue with it. If you don't you could always buy a digital version of it to ease your conscience.

PineappleGod likes this.
  3. CeeDee

CeeDee Oh, fishsticks. I'm nauseous...

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    Not like it's the easiest to do so nowadays, it hasn't had a digital release in ages.

PineappleGod likes this.
  4. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2014
    United States
    Last edited by LuigiXHero, Nov 21, 2019
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
  6. Vivisector

Vivisector Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2019
    United States
    Its on Steam as well as PS3 and Xbox 360, and I'm pretty sure its in the Sega Genesis Classics Collection on PS4, Xbox One, and Switch.

7. YukidaruPunch

YukidaruPunch GBAtemp Regular

Oct 24, 2017
    Brazil
    If it helps: the device you're using to post this was probably involved with sweatshop work at some point during its assembly, the clothes you wear might have been involved with either sweatshop work or even slavery, the food you eat - provided you're omnivore - was probably involved with animal cruelty and torture at some point, the car you drive (provided you drive a car) runs on oil farmed from countries driven to civil wars for exploitation and pretty much every tech company you might support purposefully makes millions (or even billions, if you're using Windows or iOS) off of work from much less well-payed workers (and sweatshops as well).

I can understand your morals withstanding you from downloading a prototype ROM off of the internet, but I believe not only Sega wouldn't mind and that you can rest assured most tech companies and big corporations wouldn't mind doing much, much worse. One of the main things under consumer-driven capitalism is that it throws on the consumer the responsability of being righteous while not being righteous at all.

Last edited by YukidaruPunch, Nov 21, 2019
    Ammako, PineappleGod and Jonna like this.
  8. CeeDee

CeeDee Oh, fishsticks. I'm nauseous...

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    Nope to this one - it's not been rereleased since about 2012 due to music issues.

Most of those are a (the same?) PC release, and the Xbox release originates from 360. Not sure if backcomp works on it. It does, so you can play it on Xbox One as well.
    You can't buy it on, say, PS4, Switch, or mobile. It's definitely possible to get ahold of, because they're lucky they haven't had to take down the Steam copy or the Xbox copy. But it just hasn't been officially released on this generation of consoles.

Last edited by CeeDee, Nov 21, 2019
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If the objective was to give Sega some money (or dodge the second hand market woes) to in turn dodge some anguish over "pirating" a prototype for a decades old game then you could happily do that. No need to download it as part of that.

CeeDee likes this.
  10. PineappleGod

PineappleGod Banished God (My name's Piney)

Oct 2, 2019
    United States
    Now in GhostLatte's van!
    (・o・)

YukidaruPunch likes this.