EA: you make something great, we'll take it!

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EA is having a creating competition for people to create an iOS, android or Windows game or app. Which is cool. Bunch of teams get together, and they have 14 hours to create something, and have a 3 minute presentation ready for EA to judge. Only thing is if you make something they like, whether it be a brand new game mechanic or a way to monetize in the game, EA has the right to use it in any of their games for free, without paying the creator(s) royalties.

Before you register, read the fine print. There is a lot of legal language of which you should be aware. While your creation remains your property, any physical submissions become the property of EA. Furthermore, anything you create during the Code Wars event can be used by EA under a royalty-free, irrevocable, but non-exclusive license.

In other words, if you come up with the next great game mechanic or monetization scheme, EA can use it throughout its portfolio without paying the creator a thing. You can license it to others and use it yourself without a problem, but you also wouldn’t be able to collect fees from EA’s use of your idea.

Additionally, EA cautions that its own studios might already be working on something similar. There is a chance that your great idea might not be that unique, in which case you might not even be able to license it out because of EA patent filings.

Source

Worse than the mafia.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
so let me get this straight their too fucking lazy to come up with game ideas now so they will get other people to do them instead and just take it and give them fuck all back?!

EA:

whysostupid.png

Reactions: the_randomizer

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there even any point in taking part in something like this? Answering my own question: no.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA is having a creating competition for people to create an iOS, android or Windows game or app. Which is cool. Bunch of teams get together, and they have 14 hours to create something, and have a 3 minute presentation ready for EA to judge. Only thing is if you make something they like, whether it be a brand new game mechanic or a way to monetize in the game, EA has the right to use it in any of their games for free, without paying the creator(s) royalties.

Source

Worse than the mafia.
Weird. who would show up...?

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe EA is trying to redeem themselves? Some people take longer to learn lessons than others do. And I find that them being interested in what a bunch of lowlifes/indie developers can make is... interesting.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA takes online games offline when ever the hell they feel like it!! nuff said!!

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EA takes online games offline when ever the hell they feel like it!! nuff said!!

...Congratulations! You're bitching about the EULA that every company has and not just EA!

Maybe next time when you go to use an online service, you should read what you're agreeing to. Go ahead, read EA's, Nintendo's, Sony's, Microsoft's, Activisions, Blizzards, Valve's...

No company HAS to keep it's servers running.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Congratulations! You're bitching about the EULA that every company has and not just EA!

Maybe next time when you go to use an online service, you should read what you're agreeing to. Go ahead, read EA's, Nintendo's, Sony's, Microsoft's, Activisions, Blizzards, Valve's...

No company HAS to keep it's servers running.

Like in the SimCity Social deal. They shut down the servers, but they allowed us to expand our cities to the maximum because of this. I believe I got over 2 million people and I was happy. But there were people upset; I was upset that they shut them down, but now I'm okay.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't get why of all companies, EA has such a competition. They've taken over PLENTY of small companies. If they don't have talent indoors to come up with a new game mechanic or way of monetizing (?) in game...who will? It's like they don't trust their own employees... :unsure:

As for the competition itself...I'm not joining the hate bandwagon on this one. It may look like a cheap way to innovate, but for starting teams, an entry that won an award at EA may look good on their CV. All in all, there are far worse career moves to spend 14 hours...

Reactions: Sterling

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you could always use the event to troll EA... Find some pics online of EA execs and use those to make some homosexual dating sim.... lol

You wouldn't win but seeing the looks on peoples faces as you present it might be worth the effort.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not like anyone didn't know EA was evil a long time ago. I've been hating them since they raped the souls of Ultima and Wing Commander to death.

That said, I really don't see the big deal here. It's a cover their ass thing that one of their lawyers probably made them do. If people are gonna be submitting things to them, they pretty much have to either say "anything you submit is ours" or a few years down the line when some game in some branch of the company completely unconnected to the contest (probably bought out by EA between the contest and then) has some superficial similarity to some schlub's entry, well, hello lawsuit city.

This sort of suit does happen to movies from time to time (though generally not via contest submissions) so it's a reasonable fear.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-