EA: you make something great, we'll take it!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That said, I really don't see the big deal here. It's a cover their ass thing that one of their lawyers probably made them do. If people are gonna be submitting things to them, they pretty much have to either say "anything you submit is ours" or a few years down the line when some game in some branch of the company completely unconnected to the contest (probably bought out by EA between the contest and then) has some superficial similarity to some schlub's entry, well, hello lawsuit city.
That's true. Obviously, EA is currently working on ideas of their own. If they hold a contest without such a clause and someone shows something that is similar to what they are currently working on...how then would EA ever release that game they were already working on without risking to get sued for "stealing an idea"?

So...no. EA can be evil as much as they want but this contest isn't a proof of this*. In fact, if I had a million dollar gaming company and I would write out a contest, it would have a very similar note.

*or rather: the clause. I still don't get how they can't get sufficient creative ideas from within their company.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
people should mee up infront of ea headquaters and then go to the next best starbucks to code for 14 hours and then make actual money with the things being created

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Congratulations! You're bitching about the EULA that every company has and not just EA!

Maybe next time when you go to use an online service, you should read what you're agreeing to. Go ahead, read EA's, Nintendo's, Sony's, Microsoft's, Activisions, Blizzards, Valve's...

No company HAS to keep it's servers running.

nah i'm too lazy too BUCKO!!

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow, I at least hoped for some % to the original devs.
Honestly, who goes to a thing like this? They'll just copy your work/idea, and maybe make money out of it. Incredible....

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
EA has responded to our request for comment. "The language on the Code Wars site was confusing and unfortunately was posted prematurely," an EA representative told us via email. "Most importantly, we have no intention to own participant code. We appreciate our fans bringing their concerns to our attention so we can address them, and that's why the site was brought down. We'll share more information soon and look forward to a fun developer event in February
BOOO EA BOOOOOOOOO BOOOO YOU'RE THE WORST BOOOOO

EDIT: Also, inb4"LOLTHEY'REJUSTTRYINGTOMAKEACOVERLOL"

Reactions: Gahars

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seriously people?
http://code.google.com/codejam/
http://pyweek.org/
http://java4k.com/index.php?action=home
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_golf
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Seven_Day_Roguelike_Challenge

EA are just running a coding contest and if those are the rules they are fairly normal for such things. There are many things of a questionable nature that EA has done but this really is not one of them, indeed it is probably one of the more charitable things they do.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
whats charitable about having your work taken and probably not be paid a cent or get any credit for it?

I would be extremely surprised if they did not allow credit to be given and they do not ask for exclusive rights, they may or may not sell the game but some of this might be more so when they publish the results and advertise and whatever they do not have to go through the serious aggro of figuring out your cut. Similarly these things are typically a lead into a job offer, certainly it makes for good CV/resume fodder.

When you enter a coding contest you typically sign over the rights to the results in so far as they can publish them and share them with the world. I have not properly gone through everything yet but that looks to be the case here, but people are possibly reading more into it or reading it through "EA you so evil" lens.

Equally "14 hours to create something", now I would be shocked if people turned up on the day without at least some ideas about how to set about things (coding prowess contests aside, though even there you can probably do some prep, it is usually expected you have the basis for things in your head and spend the day pulling it together).

I am basically finding ways to say "it is a coding contest, this is par for the course" so I will leave it for now.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
EA, how about redeeming yourself by making a new Desert Strike, you already have the patent submitted and finalized, redeem yourself and revive the series you killed in the late 90's.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BOOO EA BOOOOOOOOO BOOOO YOU'RE THE WORST BOOOOO

EDIT: Also, inb4"LOLTHEY'REJUSTTRYINGTOMAKEACOVERLOL"

Shut up tom :angry:

aaron-paul-boo-bitch.gif

Reactions: the_randomizer

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA, how about redeeming yourself by making a new Desert Strike, you already have the patent submitted and finalized, redeem yourself and revive the series you killed in the late 90's.

I actually like this idea.... My take on it if they wanted to modernize it is make it all 3D flight sim style but with out all the flight sim crap... more arcade like. I guess what I would like to see is a cross between EA's Strike series and Sega's Thunder Blade with more modern graphics of course.

Edit:

Or Sega could just mutate Thunder Blade into the game I described.... I would be happy with that too lol

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
guy presents idea:

EA: SOO...how have an amazing story with great character development with emotion at the same time and a way to monetize the game after sale with story updates??..uh...yeah.....oooohhh sorry one of ....uh OUR GUYS is...ha...WORKING on that ...ah. EXACT. (yes) EXACT SAME IDEA. so......you can leave now

I actually like this idea.... My take on it if they wanted to modernize it is make it all 3D flight sim style but with out all the flight sim crap... more arcade like. I guess what I would like to see is a cross between EA's Strike series and Sega's Thunder Blade with more modern graphics of course.

Edit:

Or Sega could just mutate Thunder Blade into the game I described.... I would be happy with that too lol

Making EA back into Electronic Arts is something (a) God nor man can could never accomplish. No matter how hard they tried...only more IP's were killed and blood was shed...*syndicate..Sims.....ugh..SimCity* Lets leave the "Strike" series die with dignity.

That's like asking Square-Enix to become the wholesome fan loving SquareSoft again. Even Chuck Norris cries when people ask him to do it.

D

Deleted-188346

while you don't get money for what you come up with i'm sure it would help you get a job.
If a dev team can create a game/app within 14 hours that wins the competition, they likely already have a job, an existing promising project, or the raw talent to be successful without the competition.

spiral6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
No matter how hard they tried...only more IP's were killed and blood was shed...*syndicate..Sims.....ugh..SimCity* Lets leave the "Strike" series die with dignity.
I honestly think Syndicate was pretty good from it's transition from strategy to shooter. It was a great reboot! (Even if the story was weak.) Add a deathmatch multiplayer to it, and you would have one of the most awesome shooters ever.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I honestly think Syndicate was pretty good from it's transition from strategy to shooter. It was a great reboot! (Even if the story was weak.) Add a deathmatch multiplayer to it, and you would have one of the most awesome shooters ever.

eh compared to the other classic rebooted tripe EA has shitted out...Syndicate was okay... I actually have it. Wasn't GREAT. but it wasn't absolute shit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: With other peoples couches