EA: you make something great, we'll take it!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by ShadowSoldier, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ShadowSoldier
    OP

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    EA is having a creating competition for people to create an iOS, android or Windows game or app. Which is cool. Bunch of teams get together, and they have 14 hours to create something, and have a 3 minute presentation ready for EA to judge. Only thing is if you make something they like, whether it be a brand new game mechanic or a way to monetize in the game, EA has the right to use it in any of their games for free, without paying the creator(s) royalties.

Source

Worse than the mafia.

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I honestly can't see how they were voted one of the most hated companies in the US :creep: ;)

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    so let me get this straight their too fucking lazy to come up with game ideas now so they will get other people to do them instead and just take it and give them fuck all back?!

EA:

[​IMG]

the_randomizer likes this.
  4. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    Is there even any point in taking part in something like this? Answering my own question: no.

5. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Weird. who would show up...?

6. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    It's not stealing. They're just flattering the devs with style.

7. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    What's the point of joining?
    EA:
    [​IMG]

spiral6, KingVamp, Satangel and 4 others like this.
  8. dsionr4

dsionr4 Gbatemp's Shonen Character

Mar 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Space
    they are now rotten to the core. if you're a big company come up with your own ideas.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  9. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Maybe EA is trying to redeem themselves? Some people take longer to learn lessons than others do. And I find that them being interested in what a bunch of lowlifes/indie developers can make is... interesting.

10. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    EA takes online games offline when ever the hell they feel like it!! nuff said!!

11. ShadowSoldier
    OP

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    ...Congratulations! You're bitching about the EULA that every company has and not just EA!

Maybe next time when you go to use an online service, you should read what you're agreeing to. Go ahead, read EA's, Nintendo's, Sony's, Microsoft's, Activisions, Blizzards, Valve's...

No company HAS to keep it's servers running.

12. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    some companies purposely are working in such a way to establish their identity.

i'm quite sure their employees are not satisfied with their own policies.

13. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Like in the SimCity Social deal. They shut down the servers, but they allowed us to expand our cities to the maximum because of this. I believe I got over 2 million people and I was happy. But there were people upset; I was upset that they shut them down, but now I'm okay.

14. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    and once they have stolen the idea they will fill it full of micro transactions just like every single other one of their IOS/android games
    :gun: EA

15. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    uh....mm....no??

Satangel likes this.
  16. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I don't get why of all companies, EA has such a competition. They've taken over PLENTY of small companies. If they don't have talent indoors to come up with a new game mechanic or way of monetizing (?) in game...who will? It's like they don't trust their own employees... :unsure:

As for the competition itself...I'm not joining the hate bandwagon on this one. It may look like a cheap way to innovate, but for starting teams, an entry that won an award at EA may look good on their CV. All in all, there are far worse career moves to spend 14 hours...

Sterling likes this.
  17. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    Well you could always use the event to troll EA... Find some pics online of EA execs and use those to make some homosexual dating sim.... lol

You wouldn't win but seeing the looks on peoples faces as you present it might be worth the effort.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  18. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    DO...IT...NOA!!!

19. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    while you don't get money for what you come up with i'm sure it would help you get a job.

McHaggis likes this.
  20. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Not like anyone didn't know EA was evil a long time ago. I've been hating them since they raped the souls of Ultima and Wing Commander to death.

That said, I really don't see the big deal here. It's a cover their ass thing that one of their lawyers probably made them do. If people are gonna be submitting things to them, they pretty much have to either say "anything you submit is ours" or a few years down the line when some game in some branch of the company completely unconnected to the contest (probably bought out by EA between the contest and then) has some superficial similarity to some schlub's entry, well, hello lawsuit city.

This sort of suit does happen to movies from time to time (though generally not via contest submissions) so it's a reasonable fear.