Where do you buy used tech from?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
So, where do you buy your used tech from? GBAtemp? ebay? CEX? Or somewhere else. Like use your local gaming store? Flea market? Or you know a trick which you keep to yourself?

You might have noticed I've creating threads on used tech a lot lately. Lately I have the itch to fix something with my solder iron. Either it's not worth spending the money. Cost out weigh the reward. Or spend extra £5 to get a working version.

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mostly would buy used broken Gameboys from eBay or Japan 4 U. I've bought a couple local as well but haven't bought any in a while cause with covid they got so much more expensive and I got burned a couple of times with Gameboy Colors from Japan for you. The pcbs were so corroded that they were unfixable without a full board replacement.

Reactions: Flame

jkm81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use offerup ( bought an old 3ds in prefect condition for $50 it is japanese and had broken ds compatibility), my local retro store for used games, and pawn shops ( got a ps4 on 9.0 for $160 on peak pandemic, a fat vita 3g for $80, 2 old 3ds for a $100, 2 ds lite for 40 each, and 2 erista unpatched switch one for $150 and the other for $200)

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the USA we have whats called "Craigslist" or "Nextdoor". I find stuff all the time people are getting rid of cheap, I have even found Xbox 360's RROD for free, Furniture for free, Fish tank for free, they just wanted to get rid of it, but not throw away, or too lazy to throw/move it out. Not sure if something like this exists near you but maybe. There is also a store near me called "New Uses" that sell used electronics/TV's/game consoles, somewhat cheap.

Last edited by BigOnYa,
Reactions: GeekyGuy and Flame

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I tend to buy the vast majority of my used tech from local stores. Sometimes eBay or off people I’ve been talking to online. I tried Amazon but after getting multiple broken shit from them, I’ve stopped using Amazon

Reactions: Flame and BigOnYa

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
eBay, yahoo auctions via buyee, Kleinanzeigen.de (a German eBay clone), local flea markets occasionally (they usually don't have much tech), second hand shops (we got two for games and like 2 dozens for other tech in my city), I've seen local Facebook groups recommended as a source if there is one, very rarely the blackboard at the supermarket.

If you have an itch to repair something you can also always get a stock console and recap it (most old ones desperately need new caps) and then possibly mod it further. Make a SNES or Genesis region free, slap an IPS display into a game boy and solder some wires to adjust it via button combos, make a game boy advance to game boy micro link cable adapter like Nintendo should have made themselves, that sort of thing.

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In NL there's some online market place where people sell/give a way their stuff. There are computer and gaming equipment, furniture, clothes and even cars on it.

And sometimes I buy from small (web)shops selling seconds hands/refurbished devices.

Reactions: Flame and BigOnYa

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Goodwill Computer Works, though they tend to know what's up with what they have. Nevertheless I've gotten some great deals from them--I just got a WD Passport 2TB for only $2.99 because the manager wasn't sure what it was lol

Reactions: SAIYAN48

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to get fantastic deals at Goodwill, but they pulled almost all of their games and consoles a couple years ago so that they could cash in on the retro game bubble. That place has sucked since.

Today, I either shop on eBay or take a trip to a couple malls that I know of that have a retro games store.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:unsure::unsure::unsure: Ya know.. There's one place that hasn't been mentioned here.

👉 PAWN SHOPS 👈

@Flame As people also pawn their items [computers, gaming items] for fast cash. Try there. :) I've had to do it a couple of times in my life.

Last edited by AncientBoi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto