EA to expire an iOS game, still selling it

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
One possible explanation I've heard for this bullcrap is that the licenses EA hold for the music will expire on that date, or something like that.

Still, leave it to EA to pull any sort of dirty business practice as not allowing people to continue using a product they paid for. People probably did not buy the download expecting an expiration date on the playability. The support and the servers perhaps, but not the actual ability to play it.

It could be they really were going to pull the plug, but the outcry made them reconsider the action and call the message "an error".

If that was true then they could re-release it with music that they would have no problems using.
Licensing new songs for a re-release would take a lot of time. Charting the songs for play is another, and that takes a lot of time too.

It wouldn't be worth it as it would be hypocritical of Harmonix to release a game with a bundle of songs whilst they use a perfect DLC strategy for the console game. Also, the market's been gone for a while and it won't be as popular as 4 years ago.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you download songs are they permanently saved to the iphone or is it in a temporary folder?

My brother purchased Guitar Hero a while back and it would only keep 2-3 songs. If the people who made this app wanted to take off their server, it would also discontinue the app since it wouldn't be able to find the songs.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
This is ridiculous. Are they seriously so desperate for people to buy the "newer" versions of the game that they intend to disable this game entirely? This is why I hate digital downloads... I know a lot of people say that it's illegal because you "own" it, but unfortunately, you actually don't... pretty much every digital transaction has a claus in the terms of service that says something to the effect of that you're simply "renting" the digital property, and that they reserve the right to deny your access to it with or without giving you any kind of compensation (consider the story of the guy who's entire kindle library featuring hundreds of books getting deleted because he was "suspected" of being the victim of identity theft, and Amazon didn't give him any compensation until after a huge fight from the customer in question).

Yeah, it sucks, but that's the way this industry works, apparently. And the fact that there's no real regulation to prevent that doesn't help. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-