E3-2017 WTF is Wrong With the Game Industry?!

D

Deleted User

I think it's high time the industry learns how to walk this tight rope.
I think its high time you realize you aren't mistreated, and you just want attention. Saying that people feel discouraged because their race isn't represented is like saying white people are discouraged from eating at Popeye's (because their commercials consist of mostly African American advertisers), or eating watermelon is not ok for white people.

Companies also should be looking for the right kind of people. Somebody could want someone funny, and the best person to apply could be white.
Same applies for African Americans...

Luckily, I haven't seen a gaming company held by the same quotas as most employers, where certain people have to be African American, Hispanic, Asian, Female, Gay, etc.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Saw the title, tought this thread was more like wtf is this shit of consoles their trying to sell, than what? the presenter isn't "blue" nonsense... But yeah, sometimes people feel like others are better than themselves and think that's "racism", when themselves don't consider any better than others (no, I'm not talking in a racist point of view), it's all about self esteem, not my skin color.

Any industry hires people who's competent for the job (and that means a lot of things), not any single human being is capable of doing everything correctly, and we have to understand it and accept it as it is.

No offence meant BTW.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Some of you simply don't get it. Lack of representation alters the mindset of people who are not properly presented. You wonder why there aren't many people of color into extreme sports or into certain hobbies and industries? It's because many people of color get the whole feeling of "it's not for them" when they are shown a group that makes them feel as if they're not invited to be a part of. Additionally, better representation keeps the industry from being stagnant. We're being fed stories from ONE POV. With diversity the industry can mature into a place where we can tell more compelling stories and in a way that movies could only dream of. I don't want the industry to hire people of color "just because". Additionally I don't want the industry to say "fuck it, we don't care". It's a fine line but gaming has been around since the late 1970's. I think it's high time the industry learns how to walk this tight rope.
This argument is bad no matter what group of people you substitute "people of colour" for.
I'm trans and don't see many trans people in ANYTHING but I don't care. Whether trans people are involved in something or not isn't gonna change my view of it or make me feel like I am or am not invited to be a part of it.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Saw the title, tought this thread was more like wtf is this shit of consoles their trying to sell, than what? the presenter isn't "blue" nonsense... But yeah, sometimes people feel like others are better than themselves and think that's "racism", when themselves don't consider any better than others (no, I'm not talking in a racist point of view), it's all about self esteem, not my skin color.

Any industry hires people who's competent for the job (and that means a lot of things), not any single human being is capable of doing everything correctly, and we have to understand it and accept it as it is.

No offence meant BTW.
I thought the same thing when I saw the title. I think that's why it pissed me off so much, being blindsided. The rest of your post I couldn't decode for the life of me.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some of you simply don't get it. Lack of representation alters the mindset of people who are not properly presented..

Only if you're ignorant

I think you're the one who doesn't get it.
Qualifications over colour.
Don't be so prejudice.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greed. :ninja:

Oh, wait you wanted more umm okay i can try.... well umm let's see.... I suppose many things, mostly prices. (All lectures about funding will be ignored so don't bother quoting me replying on it.) too many console revisions. Just make a new system, not ps4 pro or xbox one x, make PS5 or any dumb name for the next xbox THAT DOESN'T INVOLVE X IN IT. What else, umm how bout actually putting effort into making games that match the money used to make it instead of well being cheap like using unreal engine 3 on modern hardware..... okay well like i said greed. People concerned with trying to grab our money and not delivering the reason to make us spend our money. Just make something we wanna spend money on. Mega man 11 not mega man legacy collection. Finish a game instead of releasing content updates for incomplete games, make reasonable dlc, not shopping at the mall for costumes for your characters that don't make the game play better. (the online digital store where you buy dlc is what i was referencing as the shopping mall cause you buy clothes there in real life but instead for game characters you dlc) Well the one way to end this post, the same way i stared it.

Greed. :ninja:

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
200w.gif

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
What the hell is OP going on about? America had a black President. And he was re-elected too. I don't get why they're crying over a gaming conference. And please stop with this "people of color" nonsense. White is also a color. That means everyone is equal.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
(note: haven't seen the presentation yet)
Hmmm...too bad. I really liked Aisha Tyler. She always came across as someone who really loved what she was presenting. And especially compared to mumbling CEO's or nervous indie devs, she was a breath of fresh air.

But lets keep things in perspective here. It never was a sign of what's wrong with the gaming industry. In fact, I'd say that's one of the least problems of the industry...if you even want to call it part of it (Christ...what's next? Judging the movie industry on the skin color of the oscar presentations? :unsure:).

As a person of color with a passion for gaming and tech, it feels like a slap in the face.
Erm...and is that about the lack in diversity in the industry, or because you don't have a black and/or female presenter presenting games? I know the thread focuses on the latter, but you originally started by mentioning both.

Most-Wanted

3D OLED TV'S /o/
Trophies
XP
Country
Am I the only person here burned by the lack of diversity in the gaming industry? I'm no SJW but for fuck sake, a little diversity, even of the token variety goes a long way! It's so damn bad, we don't even have Aisha Tyler hosting the Ubisoft event! Again, the fuck is wrong with this industry? You're selling a mass market product. You're selling media to people of all walks of life and you can't seem to hire from a more diverse employee pool or at least find some non industry presenters with some "variety" to them?! It feels like the gaming industry is giving a big ol' middle finger to people of color. As a person of color with a passion for gaming and tech, it feels like a slap in the face.

Oh look a Racist! , Hiring people because of skin color makes you a Racist and you should be ashamed of youself!

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh look a Racist! , Hiring people because of skin color makes you a Racist and you should be ashamed of youself!
It begs the question, what ever happened to hiring people who are most fit for the job? SMH

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think the key issue with the e3 so far is... everything.
Zinger*

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Am I the only person here burned by the lack of diversity in the gaming industry? I'm no SJW but for fuck sake, a little diversity, even of the token variety goes a long way! It's so damn bad, we don't even have Aisha Tyler hosting the Ubisoft event! Again, the fuck is wrong with this industry? You're selling a mass market product. You're selling media to people of all walks of life and you can't seem to hire from a more diverse employee pool or at least find some non industry presenters with some "variety" to them?! It feels like the gaming industry is giving a big ol' middle finger to people of color. As a person of color with a passion for gaming and tech, it feels like a slap in the face.
That's fucking retarded. You don't hire non-whites to seem less racist, you hire people who are qualified and professional. You also need to look at things like how black people and Asians are minority groups in the US and the UK, so odds are there will be more white candidates. It's not like there are 500 black people applying and 15 white people applying and only the whites get hired because racism.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Racism will only end when we stop talking about it. Looking for things to be offended by is just as harmful as blatant racism. Honestly I'm fucking over it, from both sides (the willfully offended and blatant racists, not black/white). Human beings have so much potential but spend all their time bickering over nonsense like "the color of so-and-so's skin". Time to grow up.

Black people make up only 13.2 percent of the US population. Take the smaller percentage of those that are in this line of work and the even smaller percentage of those that applied for this particular gig and you have your reason for this disproportion.

Couldn't agree more.

Does OP hear fat people complain that they aren't represented? Or gay people or whatever-the-fuck-makes-a-community people?
No you don't, cause for a lot of us, we're completely over it. It's an event about games.

PS: Although my sona is a dragon and they did not bring back Scalebound, that's unacceptable specism right there.

Last edited by deinonychus71,

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does OP hear fat people complain that they aren't represented? Or gay people or whatever-the-fuck-makes-a-community people?
Some fat people and whatever community people do complain but they're special snowflakes. Tokenism is kind of similar, you have to be pretty retarded or pretty racist to actually make skin color a big deal.

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh god not another one of these.... I really don't care what race a fucking VIDEO GAME CHARACTER is as long as the game itself is good, SJWs just make the gaming community worse with how offended they are in everything.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was never a part of the camp that got angry about Resident Evil 5. It was logical that 80% of the zombies would be black. The game takes place in Africa. As for all of you talking about how the industry should hire qualified people and just due to color, I agree but let's he honest, not every presenter at E3 is a developer. We're talking about stage hosts. There are plenty of "colorful folks" with a passion for gaming that can give a professional presentation. The development process "is what it is". You hire as many qualified people as possible BUT presentation and marketing is the other half and I'm sure there is a higher pool of marketing people than developers.
So you realized that most zombies were black because the game took place in Africa but you're offended that there aren't many black people working in gaming markets where the populations are >85% white? Huh...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    what are you currently playing?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    Just started God of War 2 on the PS2
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    why we saying hello again for?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Mondooooo, cuz you both werent here
    +1
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    oh btw, did you know that the teenage mutant ninja turtles is having an r rated live action movie?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I did not know that
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but it would make sense
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    just look it up
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    from the perspective that the original audience that saw it as kids are now grown adults
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I heard the original comic books were as dark as that
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    it's called the last ronin
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    while that was a kid-friendly endeavor, this new take will adapt the story Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin. The outlet notes that this new iteration is being written by “Tyler Burton Smith, who co-wrote the upcoming R-rated action movie Boy Kills World and who wrote the 2019 iteration of Chucky horror franchise Child’s Play.”
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    The film, titled ‘The Last Ronin,’ will be targeted at adults and promises a high-body count tale
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I grew up with the 2012 show
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    so yeah, they're will be lots of kills
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    so kinda like how they went r rated in the Loan movie for wolverine
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    and remember that time when someone had the idea to make scooby doo r rated?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    where shaggy is a stoner and a pothead?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    that's a true story
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Mondooooo, the first scooby doo live action film?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    it's cancelled and not in the works anymore
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they kinda implied it, and joked about it in the cartoon attorney harvey birdman
    S @ salazarcosplay: they kinda implied it, and joked about it in the cartoon attorney harvey birdman