E3-2017 WTF is Wrong With the Game Industry?!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only person here burned by the lack of diversity in the gaming industry? I'm no SJW but for fuck sake, a little diversity, even of the token variety goes a long way! It's so damn bad, we don't even have Aisha Tyler hosting the Ubisoft event! Again, the fuck is wrong with this industry? You're selling a mass market product. You're selling media to people of all walks of life and you can't seem to hire from a more diverse employee pool or at least find some non industry presenters with some "variety" to them?! It feels like the gaming industry is giving a big ol' middle finger to people of color. As a person of color with a passion for gaming and tech, it feels like a slap in the face.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Am I the only person here burned by the lack of diversity in the gaming industry? I'm no SJW but for fuck sake, a little diversity, even of the token variety goes a long way! It's so damn bad, we don't even have Aisha Tyler hosting the Ubisoft event! Again, the fuck is wrong with this industry? You're selling a mass market product. You're selling media to people of all walks of life and you can't seem to hire from a more diverse employee pool or at least find some non industry presenters with some "variety" to them?! It feels like the gaming industry is giving a big ol' middle finger to people of color. As a person of color with a passion for gaming and tech, it feels like a slap in the face.
Erm... So you're suggesting hiring people for the sake of representation and nothing else? I'm not sure I agree with the notion there. I get where you're coming from, but the idea of equality is everybody's on an even field. Hiring somebody just to say "hey guys, we like black people here as well" isn't exactly right. On the other side of the coin, a whitewash does give the impression you're talking about. I'd like to think for these events, they'd pick the people most confident with being on stage. And using people from the company gives off a better impression than hiring somebody external. But that's just my opinion.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The industry should have qualified workers, catering for diversity just for the sake of it is a bad thing, and it is not like there is an entry barrier for people of color, if anything, I could say they don't have interest in this.

Also as a counterpoint, Terry Crews showed up in Microsoft's E3 for making some multiplayer game.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Huh? I don't even watch E3 and to be honest, I couldn't careless what color the presenter have. I honestly grewn to this part of life that I couldn't even bother to lift my figre about it with tv-series or movies. Aslong as they're entertaining they can be all white, black, yellow, green, purple, pink or whatever. As long as they're entertaining. I don't need to be "represented" (Seriously, what is that?) in it.

Reactions: VMM and WeedZ

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you wanna feel even more offended by this, play Resident Evil 5. You're two white people killing 99% black zombies through most of the game.

I was never a part of the camp that got angry about Resident Evil 5. It was logical that 80% of the zombies would be black. The game takes place in Africa. As for all of you talking about how the industry should hire qualified people and just due to color, I agree but let's he honest, not every presenter at E3 is a developer. We're talking about stage hosts. There are plenty of "colorful folks" with a passion for gaming that can give a professional presentation. The development process "is what it is". You hire as many qualified people as possible BUT presentation and marketing is the other half and I'm sure there is a higher pool of marketing people than developers.

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
We're talking about stage hosts. There are plenty of "colorful folks" with a passion for gaming that can give a professional presentation.
And what about the presentation is going to change if they hired a different person of color? They'd use the same script complete with 'jokes'. In all honesty, getting so mad over something as trivial as what person was hosting a children-tier hobby conference is sad. There's plenty of better battles in this world to be fighting that aren't "oh no, someone who isn't white isn't hosting a conference"

Reactions: Deleted User

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Racism will only end when we stop talking about it. Looking for things to be offended by is just as harmful as blatant racism. Honestly I'm fucking over it, from both sides (the willfully offended and blatant racists, not black/white). Human beings have so much potential but spend all their time bickering over nonsense like "the color of so-and-so's skin". Time to grow up.

Black people make up only 13.2 percent of the US population. Take the smaller percentage of those that are in this line of work and the even smaller percentage of those that applied for this particular gig and you have your reason for this disproportion.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of you simply don't get it. Lack of representation alters the mindset of people who are not properly presented. You wonder why there aren't many people of color into extreme sports or into certain hobbies and industries? It's because many people of color get the whole feeling of "it's not for them" when they are shown a group that makes them feel as if they're not invited to be a part of. Additionally, better representation keeps the industry from being stagnant. We're being fed stories from ONE POV. With diversity the industry can mature into a place where we can tell more compelling stories and in a way that movies could only dream of. I don't want the industry to hire people of color "just because". Additionally I don't want the industry to say "fuck it, we don't care". It's a fine line but gaming has been around since the late 1970's. I think it's high time the industry learns how to walk this tight rope.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure thats what MS was doing when they paraded 2 female race care drivers during their forza thing and brought out an obvious feminist for something else
Its sad that companies have to do this now or someone will get offended and cry on the internet about it

as always, muh diversity

D

Deleted-401606

Whats your user on thecoli

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Some of you simply don't get it. Lack of representation alters the mindset of people who are not properly presented. You wonder why there aren't many people of color into extreme sports or into certain hobbies and industries? It's because many people of color get the whole feeling of "it's not for them" when they are shown a group that makes them feel as if they're not invited to be a part of. Additionally, better representation keeps the industry from being stagnant. We're being fed stories from ONE POV. With diversity the industry can mature into a place where we can tell more compelling stories and in a way that movies could only dream of. I don't want the industry to hire people of color "just because". Additionally I don't want the industry to say "fuck it, we don't care". It's a fine line but gaming has been around since the late 1970's. I think it's high time the industry learns how to walk this tight rope.
I think its high time you take personal responsibility and stop assuming that all races should be grouped together. The only thing you have in common with "all" black people is the same thing I have in common with "all" white people, and that's skin color. Not every black person you see on TV or in sports represents you. And their lack of presence doesn't mean you personally can't participate. You're absolutely delusional if you think this way. And a racist btw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse