Hacking DVD9 (DL) Kills / Strains Your Wii? Speak Here!

Are They Worse Than The Devil For Your Wii?

• Yes, I Wouldn't Even Use Them To Play God Of War III (If That Was Possible...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, They Are Perfectly Fine!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dan_Aykroyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

As topic, with the sudden (new) wave of DL games (Metroid Prime Trilogy), all this stuff about lens dirty and not powerful enough comes to the surface again. And the thing is that the deeper we get into the Wii life cycle, the more chances that AAA games will come out as such (Super Mario Galaxy 2? Metroid: Other M?)

Anyway, what's your opinion? Do DL disc strains excessively your Wii's lens? Do you try to avoid them as much as possible? Sadly, for example, with MPT is quite tempting to just record a DL and use it (you'd get the built in menu and wouldn't have to fiddle with alt dols), but if you are worried about straining your lens... thats not so nice anymore. In my case, I recorded SSBB on a DL when it came out and I always refrained from playing it. Maybe scared that it would wear my Wii out? Who knows.

Thanks for your time and let us know what you think.
gbasp.gif

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or just buy MPT and Barlw. They're worthwhile games and the real disc probably strains it somewhat less than a DVD. Or just load them from an external.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
wow, pointless if you ask me

there is only a hand full of DVD9 disk games for the wii and they work perfectly the only trouble you would have is with "BACKUP DISKS" as the wii drive wasnt made for playing coppied disks that why you hear more noise from a backup disk than a original as the wii's drive has to do more work to read them, especially at the low speed of 3x.

in my opinion if your gonna moan get the original instead of complaining about the wii's sudden wave of dual layer games which is about 2 to 4 at the most as its only backup disks that have the most degrading effect on the wii or jsu boot from usb.

Dantarion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, even the originals put wear on your lazer, many people in the Brawl tournament scene have wiis that fail to read Brawl after many many hours of play.

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't see a problem with them. If Nintendo releases them on Dual Layer discs, it means the Wii is made to read them. One time I had to clean out my disc drive, though (it had heaps of dust inside it).

SunRisesInTheEas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, DL backups really do strain your laser unit because they are not as reflective as commercial discs AND the lazer has to penetrate the first layer when it comes to MP3. I am currently playing MPT from a 6x burned DVD+R DL and by the sound, my Wii really doesn't like DL much. So after approx. 1 hour of gaming, I turn off my wii to give her a break from the stress. Every other game I play off the USB hard drive so I guess my wii won't break fast.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
the animal crossing dvd-r burned at 3x seems to have (and this testedon only 2 wiis so far) but seems to fuck up the dvd drive and over the course of a month online with occarina cheats...

The disk drive will often begin this strange TICKING sound...also when you shut down the wii it often freezes and wont return to the menu with both the 3.2's (not the 4.0) weird shit... thats JUST A SINGLE LAYER
ohmy.gif
but i use wii scrubber on duals to cut them down when i can get away with it
smile.gif

Also noteworthy is when you power back up the wii will auto shutdown once if you left ac:cf in the drive as a dvd-r
wink.gif

I JUST USED USB DRIVE with hermes 222/223 loader usb config and or gx for my backups now
seems so much more efficient

w_n_s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SunRisesInTheEast said:
Well, DL backups really do strain your laser unit because they are not as reflective as commercial discs AND the lazer has to penetrate the first layer when it comes to MP3. I am currently playing MPT from a 6x burned DVD+R DL and by the sound, my Wii really doesn't like DL much. So after approx. 1 hour of gaming, I turn off my wii to give her a break from the stress. Every other game I play off the USB hard drive so I guess my wii won't break fast.

I still don't get with the advent of USB loaders how some people are still pipeing on about DVD's causing problems etc.... If there is proof that the reading of DVD media be it DL or SL discs can break your Wii (there is evidence which shows it isn't good for it) , then that would be enough for me to fork out £40 for a 500GB Iomega drive .

Whats the holdback for some people? If you're bothered or having problems, spend some friggin money. There is going to be no magic bullet for this issue. I assume those of you running backups didn't have to buy the originals anyway, so for the price of 1 game you can afford a USB harddrive.

Some really tight gits around here, who probably get bothered when a 10p (10cents) disk is borked when they fail to burn a disk successfully.

herculean1982

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
oh dan i love your movies. is ghostbusters 3 really coming out?

dual layer why would you be afraid of it? if it doesn't work in your wii clean the lens, if it still doesn't work send it away. it's just a dvd drive in the end - it's designed to read them!!
i didn't think lasers on drives could be strained as such? i've never had anything ever that just stopped reading discs unless it was needing a clean, or another reason like a motor/overheating.

SunRisesInTheEas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
w_n_s said:
SunRisesInTheEast said:

I still don't get with the advent of USB loaders how some people are still pipeing on about DVD's causing problems etc.... If there is proof that the reading of DVD media be it DL or SL discs can break your Wii (there is evidence which shows it isn't good for it) , then that would be enough for me to fork out £40 for a 500GB Iomega drive .

Whats the holdback for some people? If you're bothered or having problems, spend some friggin money. There is going to be no magic bullet for this issue. I assume those of you running backups didn't have to buy the originals anyway, so for the price of 1 game you can afford a USB harddrive.

Some really tight gits around here, who probably get bothered when a 10p (10cents) disk is borked when they fail to burn a disk successfully.

Well, in case of MPT it doesn't work 100% when loaded from USB. Through an USB loader you only have 1 Saveslot and the skill level is always on Veteran. This is why I play it on "Normal" from a good burned DL Disc. Amen.

goku21temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SunRisesInTheEast said:
w_n_s said:
SunRisesInTheEast said:

Well, in case of MPT it doesn't work 100% when loaded from USB. Through an USB loader you only have 1 Saveslot and the skill level is always on Veteran. This is why I play it on "Normal" from a good burned DL Disc. Amen.

what ?veteran is already too easy !

i´d rather save my wii´s laser and have no loadtimes than constantly listening to tick and clicksounds and be worried while i play a awesome game

i just used an old harddrive i had laying around .. its only 160 GB but it cost me only a shitty usb-case ( $10) .

Dan_Aykroyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SunRisesInTheEast said:
w_n_s said:
SunRisesInTheEast said:

Finally! Someone that got my point!!!
unsure.gif

It's not that we are stubborn or cheap about using a HD. Is just that for games like MPT or Wii Sports Resort (even if not DL), you have to go an extra step messing with alternate dols and workarounds to be able to play. And for MPT you just boot directly to a game a lose the whole menu!

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
Dan_Aykroyd said:
SunRisesInTheEast said:
w_n_s said:
SunRisesInTheEast said:

Finally! Someone that got my point!!!
unsure.gif

It's not that we are stubborn or cheap about using a HD. Is just that for games like MPT or Wii Sports Resort (even if not DL), you have to go an extra step messing with alternate dols and workarounds to be able to play. And for MPT you just boot directly to a game a lose the whole menu!

yes but the more to the point the "commercial" wii wasnt officially made to run games off a usb drive so that last point still isnt valid, still why would nintendo release DL disk games to wear out the end users console, the more you play anything that uses a laser to read/write onto optical media the more wear and tear to the to the unit it will cause, nothing lasts forever and soon it will have to be replaced................... its a way of life.............

Dan_Aykroyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As previously stated too, retail original discs are better quality than recorded DVD-DL, so you'd be right about them, the Wii is fine with them. The thing is about the recorded ones that strain the laser even further

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1