DVD burner help...

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by zidane_genome, Jan 23, 2009.

1. zidane_genome
    OP

zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

May 21, 2006
    United States
    Need a bit of help as I'm stumped here...

I recently upgraded the HD in my laptop (80 to 320). I reinstalled Windows XP on this new HD, and proceded to install all my programs. This is where I run into problems.

When ever the computer is accessing the DVD drive (read or write) it slows to a grind... mouse stutters across the screen, audio/video skip and jump, even typing is slowed down.

I have burnt 2 Wii games so far on this install, and I can only burn at 0.8x. Yes, ZERO POINT EIGHT. Before I was able to speed along at 8x max.

Reading from the drive, DVD or CD gives me the same results...

What are my options here? Should I just reinstall Windows? Could it be the new HD that's affecting my DVD drive?

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
  3. zidane_genome
    OP

zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

May 21, 2006
    United States
    Wow... thanks alot man...

I would have never thought to check the DMA! I had to uninstall the secondary IDE controller to force it into DMA mode, but it works now...

I've been working with computers since the Apple ]['s, and would never have thought to check the DMA... just helps to have a forum!

4. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    No problem bro, glad I helped! [​IMG]

I should really read up about DMA now and see what it actually means..... [​IMG]