Hacking Dual Booting SXOS/Atmosphere File System EMUMMC

phonemonkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi all,

As the title, I plan to move away from SXOS but I don't want to delete or lose anything.

Ideally I'd like to boot between CFW's and use the same File System setup. Can this be done? I know it's slower than a hidden partition, but I just want a temp solution until I reformat.

I've tried changing paths in the emummcini file but I just get a black screen when booting Atmosphere.

[emummc]
enabled = 1
path = /sxos/emunand/
nintendo_path = Emutendo

Cheers guys

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere can boot emumand created by sx is with that config file. Sx os cant load emunand created for atmosphere via hekate.

In short, sx emunand is compatible with every solution. Atmosphere emummc only compatible with atmosphere/neutos/kosmos.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Atmosphere can boot emumand created by sx is with that config file. Sx os cant load emunand created for atmosphere via hekate.

In short, sx emunand is compatible with every solution. Atmosphere emummc only compatible with atmosphere/neutos/kosmos.
Also remember that if you use the same emunand with both SX and Atmosphere, when you want to update that emunands firmware, you'll need to wait for both CFW flavours to support it.
That may not be an issue for you but limits flexibility a bit over having separate emunands

Reactions: vincentallen2

phonemonkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi guys, thanks for the replies. It still doesn't work though. Are those paths that I have correct or is there something missing?

Cheers

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

As the title, I plan to move away from SXOS but I don't want to delete or lose anything.

Ideally I'd like to boot between CFW's and use the same File System setup. Can this be done? I know it's slower than a hidden partition, but I just want a temp solution until I reformat.

I've tried changing paths in the emummcini file but I just get a black screen when booting Atmosphere.

[emummc]
enabled = 1
path = /sxos/emunand/
nintendo_path = Emutendo

Cheers guys

Add the following line if your EmuNAND is using the hidden partition method (which it probably is based on this):

sector=0x2

Reactions: phonemonkey

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is this weird CFW distribution targeted to you called StarDustCFW that is Atmosphere + SXOS. Might be helpful.

Seems OK. It looks like its just Atmosphere and SXOS with ArgonNX to choose the payload. It has a few good homebrew apps as well. I personally would use NYX with Hekate to choose payloads or my dongle. I don't see how this tutorial will help you to convert the EmuNAND to hidden partition.

You could try this to boot the file based EmuNAND in Atmosphere. Beware, what I said before stands. File based EmuNAND is for riskier than the partition based type. Thread on that is here. You already have the files. you can use the existing files setup if you tweak the config file in Atmosphere. I do this but with the hidden partition

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-make-a-file-based-emunand-for-atmosphere.541810/

Move the SD EmuNAND to hidden partion for MAC
https://gbatemp.net/threads/moving-from-sx-os-sd-emunand-to-sd-hidden_emunand.526587/

There's also a tutorial on moving the Hidden partition to files using a utility on the Team Xecuter Forums. Its a command line tool. The tutorial wants you to use the command -backup. You could try with -restore.command instead. I was told this can work. You should make a new EmuNAND using SXOS and make it as hidden partition. Then use the files you already have to restore the EmuNAND to the new fresh EmuNAND basically.

google
Convert Hidden Partition emuNAND to File Based emuNAND 2020-01-22
to find the tool.

QuadBoot while you're at it????
https://gbatemp.net/threads/emummc-setup-win-linux-quadboot.541152/

You could try the SX Discord ;) google it!
Hope this helps.

Last edited by mikefor20,

phonemonkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Cheers guys, been reading up on a lot of stuff. Thanks for all the advice, I reckon I'll merge the files in to one hidden partition. As that sounds great, and I didn't know you could merge the files that way.

Tbf, my set up works great. SW OS, tinfoil and nut. But I'm sick of the bullshit blawar puts in and plan on ditching it. (sys-con) sold it for me tbh as I have a ton of wired 360 controllers the kids can use and that works great on my other switch.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheers guys, been reading up on a lot of stuff. Thanks for all the advice, I reckon I'll merge the files in to one hidden partition. As that sounds great, and I didn't know you could merge the files that way.

Tbf, my set up works great. SW OS, tinfoil and nut. But I'm sick of the bullshit blawar puts in and plan on ditching it. (sys-con) sold it for me tbh as I have a ton of wired 360 controllers the kids can use and that works great on my other switch.

I say use both! USB loading is a great feature! What do you use to push your payload? A dongle? Your PC? Phone? Al 3 of those have simple ways to choose a different payload. You can setup CFW selection with StardustCFW or ArgonNX. All you need to do to get your EmuNAND running on Atmosphere AND SXOS is to make an ini file and put it in the right place. then atmosphere will see the EmuNAND that SXOS uses.

To use it

Create > emummc folder on the root of the SD

Create > emummc.ini file inside of emummc folder

Copy and paste this to emummc.ini

[emummc]
emummc_enabled = 1
emummc_sector = 0x2
emummc_nintendo_path = Emutendo

(clipped from https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-setup-atmosphere-emummc.541060/ )

WORKS GREAT. Best of both worlds. And you'll still use SXOS because as a daily driver, you have all the best features. ;)

OP Just found this

TRANSFER SX'S EMUNAND AS FILES TO ATMOSPHERE EMUMMC AND KEEP USING THE TWO
> This part is for emunand as files on SD to transfer to SD hidden partition. Skip this if you're using hidden partition.

Temperately create emunand
> Your SD will be formatted, backup your savedata and other data are needed.

From SX OS Bootloader Menu
> Options
> EmuNAND
> Create EmuNAND
> Hidden Partition on microSD
Press cancel as soon as you see 1%.
> Power off the Switch

Extract the first 1024 bytes (1024.bin) from the SD using dd command line

You will get 1024.bin

Merge everything for completeemummc.bin
> emunand on files should be a full size nand

SX's Emunand as files on SD will be in sxos\emunand\

The files will be

Windows

Mac OS

You will get completeemummc.bin

Inject completeemummc.bin back to the hidden partition on the SD using dd command lines
Only on Mac OS

Windows

Enjoy!

Reactions: phonemonkey

lilithx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry this is long guys...
ok I started with sx os with a hidden partition emunand.
i tried to follow this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-setup-atmosphere-emummc.541060/
since i was using sx os emunand and using sysnand online i skipped the first part of tutorial. and since i already had a hidden partition i skipped the second step and went to copy files. I downloaded atmosphere and hekate files to root of sd, put payloads into the bootloader payloads folder. then i created the emuMMC folder and put in the new emummc.ini in it.

[emummc]
enabled=1
sector=0x2
path=Emutendo
id=0x0000
nintendo_path=Emutendo

i also skipped the last step transfer because it says skip if youre using hidden partition.
then from hekates main menu i merged emunand. (i see now maybe i should not have done this). but then moved my emutendo folder and renamed it as mentioned above i think. i went on my sd card to the new emuMMC/ER00 folder and renamed the Nintendo folder in there to Emutendo and moved it to the root of my sd card where it used to be. Hekate had also changed the emummc.ini so i rewrote it back to what i have above. THEN i relaunch hekate and emunand is disabled again, but i can click on it under the 'change emunand' option and it is listed as the first SD card slot. (no other sd card slot options or file options there). so emunand is back on in Hekate. i can load sx os fine in hekate by going to payloads and it launches in emunand like normal. but when i try to launch atmosphere by clicking its payload i get the splash screens for it and then black screen. i do not have kosmos, just atmosphere, hekate, and sxos.

i've tried: using hekate to fix archive bit since im using a mac and its still not working.

where am i going wrong?

Last edited by lilithx,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you backup your EmuNAND and Nintendo folder and your Emutendo folder before you tried merging everything?

How did you create the in file?

Your .ini is wrong. It should be.

[emummc]
emummc_enabled = 1
emummc_sector = 0x2
emummc_nintendo_path = Emutendo

That might help. If it works in SX all you need is a proper .ini in the right path

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry this is long guys...
ok I started with sx os with a hidden partition emunand.
i tried to follow this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-setup-atmosphere-emummc.541060/
since i was using sx os emunand and using sysnand online i skipped the first part of tutorial. and since i already had a hidden partition i skipped the second step and went to copy files. I downloaded atmosphere and hekate files to root of sd, put payloads into the bootloader payloads folder. then i created the emuMMC folder and put in the new emummc.ini in it.

[emummc]
enabled=1
sector=0x2
path=Emutendo
id=0x0000
nintendo_path=Emutendo

i also skipped the last step transfer because it says skip if youre using hidden partition.
then from hekates main menu i merged emunand. (i see now maybe i should not have done this). but then moved my emutendo folder and renamed it as mentioned above i think. i went on my sd card to the new emuMMC/ER00 folder and renamed the Nintendo folder in there to Emutendo and moved it to the root of my sd card where it used to be. Hekate had also changed the emummc.ini so i rewrote it back to what i have above. THEN i relaunch hekate and emunand is disabled again, but i can click on it under the 'change emunand' option and it is listed as the first SD card slot. (no other sd card slot options or file options there). so emunand is back on in Hekate. i can load sx os fine in hekate by going to payloads and it launches in emunand like normal. but when i try to launch atmosphere by clicking its payload i get the splash screens for it and then black screen. i do not have kosmos, just atmosphere, hekate, and sxos.

i've tried: using hekate to fix archive bit since im using a mac and its still not working.

where am i going wrong?
I forgot to press reply, any information?

lilithx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to press reply, any information?
i stupidly didnt think to backup before merging. i created the .ini but hekate kept editing it to add in that one extra line, i dont know why that was happening. i got frustrated and decided to try removing atmosphere alltogether and then installed a minimal kosmos bundle, which added the ability for me to launch through the first button on hekate (launch) instead of trying to click on payloads in hekate and launch it through there. this solved the issue and i was able to launch into atmosphere. it still doesnt work if i try to send the payload directly myself or through hekate, but thats fine. sxos still works as well, though something along the way has caused tinfoil to have issues even on sx. but i know thats prob becasuse atmos and tinfoil dont play well.

after i got both to launch i updated emu with choi to 10.0.2. still able to launch both (after removing the exefs_patches folder in sx os). now im on to trying to fix anything that broke along the way.

Last edited by lilithx,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, I think i'm one too