Question about system update and partitions

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I justed cread a new emuMMC in RAW1 partition in the Hekate menu, and was wondering what the point of RAW2 and RAW3 was exactly. Also, I have heard that there is a hidden partition which is supposedly the first one, but I am not sure of it's function or how to view it. Are the emuMMC partitions also in the emummc.ini file on my SD card? And, on the right side of the partitions menu, there is also a space for SD or file based partitions. May someone explain this to me?

As for updates, will the latest Nintendo firmware work with Atmosphere? What is the latest Atmosphere version? When I boot into Atmosphere FSS0 CFW, I go into "System" in the HOS menu, and I am unable to see the AMS version because it says that an update is available. This is when I am in CFW. Do I update the Offcial Nintendo firmware first, or do I update Atmosphere and the Hekate payload version first? I probably shouldn't update while in Atmosphere. I want to check to see if I am really in CFW. What should the serial information or number look like if I am booted into CFW? (XA000..etc.)

Jim_Sfetoudis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
the hidden partition is where your Emmc goes.The hekate.ini file is just a notepad file with some instructions related to booting the firmwares

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hidden is Raw 1. And yes,the emmc file is in the Emmc folder.As for the update i don't know.

Ok. I get it now. So the RAW1 is visible on the create emuMMC screen. Why do others say it's hidden? And, do you happen to know what the serial number looks like if your booted into Atmosphere or CFW? Is it just all 0's as opposed to when you look at it in the official firmware?

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok. I get it now. So the RAW1 is visible on the create emuMMC screen. Why do others say it's hidden?
Because it is a hidden partition. It will not show up as a drive when you use that SD card in a computer - it requires software designed to look for those kinds of partitions, like Hekate is.
And, do you happen to know what the serial number looks like if your booted into Atmosphere or CFW? Is it just all 0's as opposed to when you look at it in the official firmware?
It can appear as all 0's:
- when you have prodinfo blanking enabled for that mmc in
Code:
exosphere.ini
- or, when you have permanently blanked your prodinfo in some other way, such as Incognito (in which case, hope you have a backup of the original prodinfo).

Since FW 17.x, Atmosphère will crash if you let it connect to Nintendo servers with a blank prodinfo, so you have to use DNSMITM (and/or unblank it) to prevent that.

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it is a hidden partition. It will not show up as a drive when you use that SD card in a computer - it requires software designed to look for those kinds of partitions, like Hekate is.

It can appear as all 0's:
- when you have prodinfo blanking enabled for that mmc in
Code:
exosphere.ini
- or, when you have permanently blanked your prodinfo in some other way, such as Incognito (in which case, hope you have a backup of the original prodinfo).

Since FW 17.x, Atmosphère will crash if you let it connect to Nintendo servers with a blank prodinfo, so you have to use DNSMITM (and/or unblank it) to prevent that.

Is there a way to tell if I have permanently blanked it? The prodinfo is in exosphere.ini? Or just the settings to it? How can I unblank it if it is blank, and how do I use DNSMITM? After prodinfo is unblanked, would I then update CFW and then update the official firmware?

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a way to tell if I have permanently blanked it? The prodinfo is in exosphere.ini? Or just the settings to it? How can I unblank it if it is blank, and how do I use DNSMITM? After prodinfo is unblanked, would I then update CFW and then update the official firmware?

When you have DNSmitm configured, like this for example, there's no need to unblank, because it won't let you reach Nintendo servers anyway. But to play online you will need to have your stock, unblanked prodinfo on a clean MMC.

The prodinfo is part of the MMC.
- The exosphere.ini file has, among others, the settings to blank prodinfo in sys or emuMMC temporarily, while Atmosphère is running. To unblank in either, just disable those options and restart.
- Other (older, unsafe) tools, like Incognito or Tinfoil, permanently blanked the prodinfo by overwriting it on the sysMMC. If you can see your serial # after booting stock sysMMC, then you know it's not permanently blanked in this way. Otherwise, to unblank, you need to restore the prodinfo from a backup, but apparently the tools don't work with firmware >= 17, so it's not straightforward.

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you have DNSmitm configured, like this for example, there's no need to unblank, because it won't let you reach Nintendo servers anyway. But to play online you will need to have your stock, unblanked prodinfo on a clean MMC.

The prodinfo is part of the MMC.
- The exosphere.ini file has, among others, the settings to blank prodinfo in sys or emuMMC temporarily, while Atmosphère is running. To unblank in either, just disable those options and restart.
- Other (older, unsafe) tools, like Incognito or Tinfoil, permanently blanked the prodinfo by overwriting it on the sysMMC. If you can see your serial # after booting stock sysMMC, then you know it's not permanently blanked in this way. Otherwise, to unblank, you need to restore the prodinfo from a backup, but apparently the tools don't work with firmware >= 17, so it's not straightforward.

Am I able to see the sysMMC through the Hekate menu somehow? Like for the emuMMC, I can view it's partitions, RAW1, 2, 3, etc. And how can I tell when I have a clean MMC? I'll try disabling those options as you mentioned if required. If not, what should my next step be if I wabt to update the Nintendo firmware? Is it better to update the CFW first now?

Last edited by neko_koneko,

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
As long as you never installed any NSP, XCI... on sysMMC, never used homebrew on sysMMC to do anything sketchy (like cheating, altering saves of online games, changing your user picture...), and never restored an older sysMMC backup after being online with it, then that sysMMC should be clean. Otherwise, if you allow it to connect to Nintendo servers with an unblanked prodinfo, it will be banned sooner or later, and unable to use eShop or online services.

My usual update order is Atmosphère first, then sigpatches, then firmware on emuMMC (with Daybreak). Last, firmware on sysMMC (from the built-in settings, since it is clean).

Reactions: neko_koneko

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you never installed any NSP, XCI... on sysMMC, never used homebrew on sysMMC to do anything sketchy (like cheating, altering saves of online games, changing your user picture...), and never restored an older sysMMC backup after being online with it, then that sysMMC should be clean. Otherwise, if you allow it to connect to Nintendo servers with an unblanked prodinfo, it will be banned sooner or later, and unable to use eShop or online services.

My usual update order is Atmosphère first, then sigpatches, then firmware on emuMMC (with Daybreak). Last, firmware on sysMMC (from the built-in settings, since it is clean).

Ok. My sysMMC sounds like it is clean then.
So for the firmware on sysMMC, that's basically the official firmware? Where are the built-in settings? Do I update through the OFW menu as usual? Then, you mentioned Atmosphere and sigpatches. What is the firmware you referred to on the emuMMC to use Daybreak for? Is it the same as Atmosphere?

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
So for the firmware on sysMMC, that's basically the official firmware? Where are the built-in settings? Do I update through the OFW menu as usual?
Yes, by sysMMC firmware here I mean OFW.
Then, you mentioned Atmosphere and sigpatches.
Getting latest Atmosphère from its Github repo and putting it on the SD card. And sigpatches as needed.
What is the firmware you referred to on the emuMMC to use Daybreak for? Is it the same as Atmosphere?
No, this is the same as updating OFW, but in emuMMC. However, since an emuMMC with DNSmitm cannot reach Nintendo servers, it cannot be updated as usual - you need to get the firmware from somewhere else and then use Daybreak to install it.

Reactions: neko_koneko

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, by sysMMC firmware here I mean OFW.

Getting latest Atmosphère from its Github repo and putting it on the SD card. And sigpatches as needed.

No, this is the same as updating OFW, but in emuMMC. However, since an emuMMC with DNSmitm cannot reach Nintendo servers, it cannot be updated as usual - you need to get the firmware from somewhere else and then use Daybreak to install it.

Ok. So the firmware update that is referred to under "System" and "update available" while I'm booted into Atmosphere is what I need to get elsewhere (the firmware on emuMMC)?You're saying I can't just choose "system update" from the system menu like I do in OFW, correct?

Also, it sounds like this firmware is separate from Atmosphere and the payload, Hekate. I don't think I have ever used anything else. Is there an example of the name of the firmware or file you can give that I need to use Daybreak to install it?

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. You need the version you want to update to (17.0.1 is currently the latest) of "Nintendo Switch System Update", also known as "Switch Firmware". Confusing, I know :unsure:

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. You need the version you want to update to (17.0.1 is currently the latest) of "Nintendo Switch System Update", also known as "Switch Firmware". Confusing, I know :unsure:
If I understand right I need the 17.0.1 firmware to install with Daybreak while booted into Atmosphere (emuMMC). Then, after that, I can update through the built-in setting on sysMMC (the OFW menu)?

I guess I thought Atmosphere was the firmware you were referring to. I wouldn't know what this firmware to install with Daybreak would be called.
Post automatically merged:

It worked. I updated Atmosphere and the emuMMC firmware as well. It hasn't given me any errors or notices that my sigpatches need to be updated. Is there a way to check?

I do have one irrelevant question. In my save folder on my card, there are two files with just numbers and letters. Is there anything I can find in those files to see what game the save is from?

Last edited by neko_koneko,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto