Moving from SX OS SD-emunand to SD-hidden_emunand

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by GraFfiX420, Dec 18, 2018.

1. GraFfiX420
    OP

GraFfiX420 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 14, 2009
    United States
    Greetings, here's some instructions to move your emunand from <=2.3 to >=2.4 SX OS. You will need to fill in your own info.

Code:
    dd if=/dev/rdisk* of=first1024.bin bs=1024 count=1
    Code:
    cat first1024.bin boot0.bin boot1.bin full.00.bin full.01.bin full.02.bin full.03.bin full.04.bin full.05.bin full.06.bin full.07.bin > /Volumes/WhereYouWantToStoreIt/emunand.bin

Write the backup with pv:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/Volumes/WhereYouStoredIt/emunand.bin | pv -s 29G | sudo dd of=/dev/rdisk* bs=2m conv=noerror,notrunc
    Without pv:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/Volumes/WhereYouStoredIt/emunand.bin of=/dev/rdisk* bs=2m conv=noerror,notrunc
    Let me know if you have any questions. This is for mac but should work on linux, with minor adjustments.

2. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 16, 2008
    This is well tested
    Backup emunand from hidden emunand

Last edited by thaikhoa, Dec 18, 2018
  3. GraFfiX420
    OP

GraFfiX420 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 14, 2009
    United States
    I'm just curious is this slow to backup rawnand? If so, it would be related to blocksize, 512 is 1 block at a time, also /dev/rdisk* would be used on mac to speed backup. If it is indeed slow because of blocksize, I would recommend you back up the entire hidden area, then keep that to restore later. If you do it that way, you can increase the blocksize to 2m, which will increase the speed substantially.

4. thaikhoa

Sep 16, 2008
    Around 6MB/s . rdisk / bs 1024 even slower than. Idk why.
    I'd like to backup rawnand for hacdiskmount to read. Backup a whole one is good too

Last edited by thaikhoa, Dec 19, 2018
  5. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    All I did was backup my sd card. Created a new hidden emunand with sxos and then copied over the emutendo folder (not overwriting anything) it seems to be working with all my games/saves etc.

andeers and thaikhoa like this.
  6. GraFfiX420
    OP

GraFfiX420 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 14, 2009
    United States
    All your saves etc must have been stored to SD, then. For people who have made changes to files on nand, this is definitely relevant.

7. thaikhoa

Sep 16, 2008
    Nand injector should be

8. GraFfiX420
    OP

GraFfiX420 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 14, 2009
    United States
    While this is accurate, it's not the recommended way to do it, at least on mac. My post in the tutorials section has the best route, dump the first 1024 bytes of your SD , concatenate that with your boot0/1 and rawnand, then write it back with dd, to /dev/rdisk* with a bs of 2m. While this will work, with a blocksize of 512bytes on a 29 gig file it will take forever, do yourself a favor and quickly dump the first 1024, concatenate, and write.

9. thaikhoa

Sep 16, 2008
    Idk why using bs 1024 or larger (won't support larger than bs 1024 for extracting with skip or seek) won't increase the speed but longer waiting time. Extract or inject with bs 512 for 29GB takes around 1 hour.

10. GraFfiX420
    OP

GraFfiX420 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 14, 2009
    United States
    This is not accurate, try to restore a rawnand with a 512byte blocksize, let me know how long it takes. A blocksize of 512 may be fine for dumping, but for writing larger the better. Same with traditional disk access versus raw, using /dev/disk versus /dev/rdisk, /dev/rdisk is rawdisk, and will increase speed dramatically.

thaikhoa likes this.
  11. thaikhoa

Sep 16, 2008
    I've tried many times but I won't see any changes on speed using rdisk when dumping. I will try to restore a whole nand back to the SD.

12. GraFfiX420
    OP

GraFfiX420 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 14, 2009
    United States
    This would make sense, as dumping is accessing the raw device by default, try restoring, first with /dev/disk then with /dev/rdisk. I should also correct myself, when writing, a larger blocksize is faster to a point, there's a "sweet spot" for most systems. On macos, however, the limit on blocksize for the version of dd that's running is 2m, so this is the best that can be done.

thaikhoa likes this.
  13. OvOvOv

OvOvOv Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2018
    Spain
    Is there an application that can do this in an automated way?

14. thaikhoa

Sep 16, 2008
    Just successfully restored my rawnand backup to the hidden partition using dd bs512, took 3 hours.

15. GraFfiX420
    OP

GraFfiX420 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 14, 2009
    United States
    With a 2m blocksize writing to rdisk it takes me ~20 minutes to restore a rawnand.

thaikhoa likes this.
  16. enarky

enarky owls?

GBAtemp Patron
    enarky is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    31276925952 bytes transferred in 689.570969 secs (45357080 bytes/sec)

A bit more than 11 minutes for me. Switched SD cards, tried it with a raw copy of the smaller SD card to the bigger one and annoyingly found out that you can't just resize ExFat partitions on any OS (without expensive software). So I set up a new EmuNAND and transferred the old one to the new card.

17. Kikolasi3D

Kikolasi3D Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2014
    ¿How can you do this in Windows?

18. thaikhoa

Sep 16, 2008
    Kikolasi3D and enarky like this.
  19. enarky

enarky owls?

GBAtemp Patron
    enarky is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    The tool we use on OSX, dd, does not exist on Windows natively. It's probably part of the Windows Subsystem for Linux, though. Cygwin might also come with dd, but it's rather tedious to set up. I don't think a native Windows tool that does something similar exists, but I'd like to know if it does.

EDIT:
    Ah, looks like it does exist on Windows.

Last edited by enarky, Jan 5, 2019
    Kikolasi3D likes this.
  20. intucabutucrowt

intucabutucrowt Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2019
    United States
    Thanks a lot to GraFfiX420 for figuring this out. I was prepared to do some research on my own to try and figure out how the hidden partition worked, but thanks to you I didn't need to and was able to successfully copy my emunand.

GraFfiX420 likes this.