Hacking Dstwo SNES emulation capability?

Vladimir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You guys think the Dstwo SNES emulator, will be able to run SNES roms at fullspeed? And most important, the special chipped ones? (Mario RPG, Megaman x2, Yoshi’s Island…).
Obviously it’s impossible to know right know, i just wanted to know your opinion.

Also, how do you think developers will take advantage of DSTwo powerful processor? (In terms of emulation and in general).

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first, I highly doubt it.
But with time and a few updates, I'm sure that it will have decent to perfect compatibility.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
People have speculated that they may be using the core of SNES9x to develop a port, but if they are using it, then expect pretty good compatibility. As far as speed is concerned, I dunno. Maybe full-speed on anything with no special chips or techniques like earlier games.

flamingo24

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm fairly certain the emulator will run most standard games at full speed, frame skipping will probably be required for a handful, but the games that require SA-1 & SuperFX I doubt its possible w/o breaking the game. I noticed the Snes9x team has moved towards accuracy opposed to game specific hacks and what not, it might not be a bad idea for the Supercard team to port using a older source code of Snes9x if that is in fact what they are doing for the obvious speed advantage.

Zaertix

One Stop Nintendo Shop on Mixer!
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
It is doubtful that it will be able to run MRPG, but only time will tell. I'm praying that i will but no DS emulator for the DS has been able to emulate the chip necessary, but of course we are talkin about the DSTWO team and they are doing phenomenal.

We shall see.
-Z

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think SA-1 (Mario RPG/Kirby 3 etc...) or SFX1/2 games will be full speed...

As long as every regular games (or just using DSP chip like mario kart/pilotwing) runs fines, it will be ok for me.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
boudincaca said:
I don't think SA-1 (Mario RPG/Kirby 3 etc...) or SFX1/2 games will be full speed...

As long as every regular games (or just using DSP chip like mario kart/pilotwing) runs fines, it will be ok for me.
The PSP can't run DSP chip games at full speed AFAIK. The DSTWO is only a little more powerful than the PSP, but that probably won't be enough power to get it working.

EDIT: Never mind.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna play Street Fighter Alpha, Kirby's Dreamland 3, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, and Mega Man X - X3 on my DS!

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
_Chaz_ said:
I wanna play Street Fighter Alpha, Kirby's Dreamland 3, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, and Mega Man X - X3 on my DS!
I'd like to play any SNES game on my DS, as long as I don't have to fiddle with settings.

Also, look up a compatibility list for the PSP SNES emulator to check if those games work (so you'll know how well it works beforehand).

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
abbadab said:
any news on Mario RPG on this thing?!?
It runs alright, but it's pretty jumpy and slow.
It gets better with sound turned off on high speed, but not by much.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
YayMii said:
_Chaz_ said:
I'd like to play any SNES game on my DS, as long as I don't have to fiddle with settings.

Also, look up a compatibility list for the PSP SNES emulator to check if those games work (so you'll know how well it works beforehand).

Keep in mind the PSP emulator uses speedhacks (in the snesadvance.dat file) to improve compatibility and make games run faster. Unfortunately, the DSTwo emulator does not have speedhack support. If you were to take the PSP emulator and delete snesadvance.dat then the speed would be similar. Hopefully they can add speedhack support in the next official version as it would probably make even Mario RPG run decently (though not full speed).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
Keep in mind the PSP emulator uses speedhacks (in the snesadvance.dat file) to improve compatibility and make games run faster.
Actually that hasn't been needed for a while, the latest emulators run most games just fine, and those that are slow the speedhacks didn't do much for (that I could tell).

When there is slowdown, I've found it's often because of palette writes, which you can set to "simple" or "disabled" in the hacks menu of the emulator to get around that.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think that once speedhacks are supported, we'll get a pretty capable SNES emulator.
So yea.. patience etc etc
tongue.gif

jakeyjake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried playing supermario world and frogger, and both games lag sometimes, enough to get me killed.
ohnoes.png

Can't wait for updates.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the SNES Advance speedhacks is that they were made for SNES Advance, as the name might suggest. Thus, there's no guarantee that the hacks will help the game, and in several cases may actually break the game. Half of the patches there are meant to stop the game from calling out to the SPC engine, which would freeze SNES Advance since it did not emulate sound at all.

Though I am rather proud of having made the Super Mario RPG speedhacks, which required tons of time with the snes9x debugger since the game would not run in SNES Advance or Snezziboy (both of which had much nicer debugging options for my purposes).

That aside, automatic speedhack detection would probably be preferable to having the static snesadvance.dat list. This is what SNEmulDS does, and I feel it's the better approach since it doesn't require people to manually dig deep into every game just to find the one loop causing all the slowdowns.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @HiradeGirl, Hi