OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rasputin said:
hmmm, I wonder why my last 2 DSTT carts died within a week!!!! Oh look I was using the first 1.16 file which has been sneakily changed... mystery?... no not really.

Rasputin reports that team DSTT's latest firmware 1.16 differs from the 1.16 that was originally release on October 29th. This can be confirmed by doing a binary compare on the TTMENU.DAT files from both.

Is this the "fake killer" firmware that team DSTT promised? If so, it would be the first time a flash cart company has gone to these extremes to eliminate (literally) clones. Watch out clones (I'm looking at you, Edge)!

icon11.gif
original thread
icon11.gif
DSTT official website anti-fake page (with video of fake killer firmware)

-Bri

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
noONE said:
Hmm, doesn't bother me though.
also.. since when was edge a clone of DSTT..? o.O

Since never, The Edge is a complete Cyclo clone, you can even use Cyclo DS skins on the EDGE. (or for that matter EDGE skins on a Cyclo, that was how I tested my EDGE skin. I just used a Cyclo. x) )

Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say the Edge was a clone of the DSTT. I said it was a clone. The DSTT clones may be the first to fall, but if other flash cart makers follow suit, can the Edge be far behind?

Seriously though, until others can confirm this, I'm going to consider it just a rumor. So far rasputin is the only one who's reported any problems from the latest version of the firmware, and it's possible that he just got some bad DSTT's. Still, if I had a fake DSTT, I'd probably wait to update it to the latest firmware.

-Bri

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
Is this the "fake killer" firmware that team DSTT promised? If so, it would be the first time a flash cart company has gone to these extremes to eliminate (literally) clones. Watch out clones (I'm looking at you, Edge)!
I don't think this is the first time that this has happened. Didn't the GBAMP firmware start bricking clones at some point? Also, despite popular belief, the EDGE is not an Evolution clone, at least not like the DSTT and R4 clones. Even if it was an Evolution clone, it doesn't run the Evolution firmware, so there's not even the slightest possibility of this happening to the EDGE.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I mentioned this when it was first released but everyone shrugged it off!

here

for the lazy ..

kobykaan said:
TOOK THE PLUNGE on behalf of the forum community I had a fake TTDS kicking about and for me ...

THIS KERNEL works FINE!

(ALTHOUGH .... I take no responsibility if it messes up on YOUR TTDS FAKE!)

works fine using 1gb kingston mem card and fake with dot and J lettering on the TTDS FAKE I have!

loaded it and played SIX FLAGS FUN PARK ... reset and tested again result WORKS

tested again power off and on WORKS fine!

edit a load more tests and sometimes it looks like its not loading SOMETIMES it just loads a blank white screen on the touch screen only sometimes the nintendo splash screen looks faded (like their video) but a restart and it works again!?

BE WAREY!

my advice is USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
Bri said:
I don't think this is the first time that this has happened. Didn't the GBAMP firmware start bricking clones at some point? Also, despite popular belief, the EDGE is not an Evolution clone, at least not like the DSTT and R4 clones. Even if it was an Evolution clone, it doesn't run the Evolution firmware, so there's not even the slightest possibility of this happening to the EDGE.

There's some speculation that the Edge does in fact use the CycloDS firmware, even though the hardware doesn't support all of the options. In which case, there is the possibility of this happening to the Edge.

-Bri

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
There's some speculation that the Edge does in fact use the CycloDS firmware, even though the hardware doesn't support all of the options. In which case, there is the possibility of this happening to the Edge.

-Bri
Um, no. There is a possibility that the EDGE uses a modified Evo firmware, but that means the EDGE team would have to hack it first anyway. You cannot use an Evo update on the EDGE, so an Evo update could never brick an EDGE.

I really don't think the EDGE is a clone (not as far as the software goes anyway), because if it's easy enough for one group to copy the Evo it's easy enough for ten groups to copy it, not to mention that the factories producing the clones tend to sell them to anyone that wants to buy them and put their own name on them. Typically, once one clone comes out 10 more pop up within a few months. I think the EDGE is just a look-alike.

Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lets just say that a lot of people on this forum seem to disagree with you about whether or not the Edge utilizes Cyclo software. I'll leave it at that since the statement about the Edge was just a joke anyway.

-Bri

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
Lets just say that a lot of people on this forum seem to disagree with you about whether or not the Edge utilizes Cyclo software. I'll leave it at that since the statement about the Edge was just a joke anyway.

-Bri
You are not "a lot of people".

I agree with Destructobot. It is only a look-alike.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My point was that regardless of whether or not the EDGE uses a modified version of the Evo firmware, it definitely does not use the Evo updates directly. The EDGE team will always have a chance to remove any bricking code before they release their own version of the update.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
isn't something like this illegal? (yes, I realise the question is rather academic)

whatever, I personally doubt that there is any difference that you could find from software between the real DSTT and replica ones. the whole "fake killer" thing just seems like a desperate attempt to spread FUD IMO

Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hyperlisk_ said:
Bri said:

-Bri
You are not "a lot of people".

I don't recall ever saying I was "a lot of people."

QUOTE said:

A lot of people would disagree with both of you.

Destructobot said:
My point was that regardless of whether or not the EDGE uses a modified version of the Evo firmware, it definitely does not use the Evo updates directly. The EDGE team will always have a chance to remove any bricking code before they release their own version of the update.

That would depend on how it was modified. As an example, it's possible that they only modify the menu and not the loader or that they use their own look-alike menu but use the CycloDS loader.

ETA:

Here's a thread where Urza's head almost explodes as he argues that the Edge is a clone of the CycloDS: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1129039

Incidentally, I was arguing that I didn't think there was much evidence that it was a clone. I still don't think there's a lot of evidence that it's a clone other than the fact that some people claim that the Edge comes out with updates in lock-step with the CycloDS (I don't know if that's actually true or not). But as I said, a lot of people would disagree.

QUOTE(DSAndi @ Nov 19 2008, 01:50 PM)
Havent seen someone laugh.......

I said it was a joke (as was fairly obvious from how it was worded in the OP) -- I never said it was funny!

-Bri

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bri said:
QUOTE said:

A lot of people would disagree with you.
Including me. Think about it: why would a cart have similar workings and a completely different name? There's no reason for them to pretend they're a CycloDS Evolution clone.

Bri said:
QUOTE(Destructobot @ Nov 19 2008, 01:25 AM)

That would depend on how it was modified.

-Bri
Well, I assume the EDGE Team would be wise enough to test their software before releasing it. That means that end-users probably won't even notice some kind of protection.

Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Given that the CycloDS is a very popular flash cart but costs more than other carts, it would make sense that another cart might be developed that looks and behaves like a CycloDS without the "advanced" features but with a lower price.

Maikel Steneker said:
Well, I assume the EDGE Team would be wise enough to test their software before releasing it. That means that end-users probably won't even notice some kind of protection.

Good point. If it's a clone and the Edge team couldn't find a way around it, it is far more likely that the Edge would just stop being supported all of a sudden if CycloDS decided to release clone-killing firmware.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E