Hacking DSision2...

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I found a work-around to the issue I was having (able to load nds games but NOT homebrew) but it sure is a pain in the butt. It appears that the dldi auto-patching isn't working for some reason when ysmenu is launched from within dsision. This is odd as auto patching DOES work in ysmenu when launched directly from the cards firmware and of course the firmware itself auto-patches. I don't terribly mind having to manually patch stuff but it sure is a bother.

Hopefully me posting this willhelp determine what the heck is causing the issue in the first place.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Ysmenu is not used for loading homebrew, ysmenu's dldi auto patching does not come into the equation. Homebrew is loaded directly from DSision. I have no idea why some people are having problems and others are not. I myself have never had the problems everyone else is having, I have tested repeatedly on both R4 (original) and TTDS (neoflash version), neither of which have failed to load either a commercial game (throuth ysmenu) or a homebrew game (internally).
Please make sure you are using the latest build and that you are using the correct version for our card, R4 and clones need a special version because the dldi patch in the R4 firmware is not compatible with the homebrew loader, the R4 version of DSision uses a second version of the dldi patch so that it can load homebrew and thus ysmenu.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
hmmmmmmm, I wasn't actually planning on working on this any more, I released it because I got tired of working on it and didn't want people to think it was vapourware. Is it really to hard to use the buttons to scroll?

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
Touch scrolling and the ability to access the click and hold menu by e.g holding y when over a game/ folder would really complete it. Right now you need to use a combination of both to navigate. Also if you're going to stop work on it, let us have the source so we can continue.
smile.gif

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
Ysmenu is not used for loading homebrew, ysmenu's dldi auto patching does not come into the equation. Homebrew is loaded directly from DSision. I have no idea why some people are having problems and others are not. I myself have never had the problems everyone else is having, I have tested repeatedly on both R4 (original) and TTDS (neoflash version), neither of which have failed to load either a commercial game (throuth ysmenu) or a homebrew game (internally).
Please make sure you are using the latest build and that you are using the correct version for our card, R4 and clones need a special version because the dldi patch in the R4 firmware is not compatible with the homebrew loader, the R4 version of DSision uses a second version of the dldi patch so that it can load homebrew and thus ysmenu.

Tried all of that... doesn't help. Commercial games won't even load if I don't use the r4 version you supplied.

Well then the solution to this problem is a simple one... allow us the option to also load homebrew via ysmenu and that should take the problem out of your hands. Once I figured out that wierd little ini file issue ysmenu seems to work pretty well across the board.

I've gotta agree with the suggestions the others have made btw. Seems a shame to rip off the iphone interface on a touch screen device and not be able to navigate via the touch screen.

Also I've noticed some other little things you might want to look into if you decide to keep working on it in no particular order:

Some Icons have transparent backgrounds which don't work in your app.... simply setting magenta (255,0,255) as a color key should automatically fix that issue.

The info displayed when you select a file should probably be configurable. Just as an example, pretty much all official ds games have a abbbreviated name as the header name and the real name in the file description. So by default you have this UGLY "crap" name in bold and then the real name in tiny print below. Unfortuantely, the opposite seems to be true for homebrew, with junk we don't need in the description section and the real name in the main header.

A little bit more customization of the skins might be nice. I know this is difficult as the skins are 3d, so I won't hold my breath, but judging by the ini for the skins, it looks like the color scheme and the icon positioning is about all you can set.

Anyway, I really like this app and it'd be a shame if you quit just as it's getting good, but I've recently done the same thing myself, so I can't really blame you.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
HowardC said:
Some Icons have transparent backgrounds which don't work in your app.... simply setting magenta (255,0,255) as a color key should automatically fix that issue.

You've lost me there I'm afraid. Any icons loaded from the .nds files are kept 100% in tact, the transparent colour (index 0), also any user created icons already have magenta set as the transparent colour.

QUOTE(HowardC @ Jan 21 2009, 06:59 PM) The info displayed when you select a file should probably be configurable. Just as an example, pretty much all official ds games have a abbbreviated name as the header name and the real name in the file description. So by default you have this UGLY "crap" name in bold and then the real name in tiny print below. Unfortuantely, the opposite seems to be true for homebrew, with junk we don't need in the description section and the real name in the main header.

So you're suggesting having each line have a customizable font size and position, but also have a different setting for both commercial and homebrew?

charlieram

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just found this frontend and think it is really pretty and it is a shame you have decided to stop developement but is there any way do disable shortcuts? (left shoulder button) and also the popup menu, I would like to use this for my kids so really don't want them hiding games or creating shortcuts, maybe an entry in the .ini ?

cheers,

CharlieRam

Just another thought, is it possible to display an hourglass or something while it is accessing the memory card to show that it is still doing something?

George290506

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
spinal_cord said:
hmmmmmmm, I wasn't actually planning on working on this any more, I released it because I got tired of working on it and didn't want people to think it was vapourware. Is it really to hard to use the buttons to scroll?
Please make stylus scrolling? Your application is so good!!!

Supercard does support your loader but the weird is that cannot launch Moonshell.

Also, a fix could be to allow/display all characters. Moonshell can display all the Greek alphabet without any problem. If you could do this... as well?

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
HowardC said:

You've lost me there I'm afraid. Any icons loaded from the .nds files are kept 100% in tact, the transparent colour (index 0), also any user created icons already have magenta set as the transparent colour.

QUOTE(HowardC @ Jan 21 2009, 06:59 PM) The info displayed when you select a file should probably be configurable. Just as an example, pretty much all official ds games have a abbbreviated name as the header name and the real name in the file description. So by default you have this UGLY "crap" name in bold and then the real name in tiny print below. Unfortuantely, the opposite seems to be true for homebrew, with junk we don't need in the description section and the real name in the main header.

So you're suggesting having each line have a customizable font size and position, but also have a different setting for both commercial and homebrew?

Try loading up lego batman or prince of persia and the background of the built-in icon is magenta instead of transparent. There are others too but I don't remember them off hand. I can try to get you a snapshot if necesary, but taking pics of the DS is hard due to lighting issues.

Yes, I'm suggesting that, and perhaps an optional ini file for each game that allows you to override the nds entries as some homebrew devs don't put any useable info in the files.

Also now that I'm using it more I've noticed a few other navigation issues. Since the app already remembers the last directory you've navigated to, it'd be nice to go ahead and have it remember the last file as well. If a folder has a lot of apps it's a pain to have to scroll through them again. Also, while this is by no means a big deal, it'd be nice to optionally have the the app start up to the shortcut menu. I have no problems navigating through my folders, but my mom might.

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
HowardC said:
spinal_cord said:
HowardC said:

Try loading up lego batman or prince of persia and the background of the built-in icon is magenta instead of transparent. There are others too but I don't remember them off hand. I can try to get you a snapshot if necesary, but taking pics of the DS is hard due to lighting issues.

Yes, I'm suggesting that, and perhaps an optional ini file for each game that allows you to override the nds entries as some homebrew devs don't put any useable info in the files.

Also now that I'm using it more I've noticed a few other navigation issues. Since the app already remembers the last directory you've navigated to, it'd be nice to go ahead and have it remember the last file as well. If a folder has a lot of apps it's a pain to have to scroll through them again. Also, while this is by no means a big deal, it'd be nice to optionally have the the app start up to the shortcut menu. I have no problems navigating through my folders, but my mom might.
I get the magenta thing with batman too but it's no big deal.

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well not being a big deal and the author telling you that you are imagining things just because he didn't run across the bug are two different things.
wink.gif

leslieliang

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I have DSision2 installed on my R4DS and when I turn on my DS, DSision2 runs, but the backlights of my DS do not work. I have pressed the select button and tried to adjust the backlight level, but it doesn't seem to work. If this helps, I have the old DS/PHAT DS.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
LiangJai said:
I have DSision2 installed on my R4DS and when I turn on my DS, DSision2 runs, but the backlights of my DS do not work. I have pressed the select button and tried to adjust the backlight level, but it doesn't seem to work. If this helps, I have the old DS/PHAT DS.

Make sure phat=1 in the dsision.ini

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
HowardC said:
Try loading up lego batman...

I had a look, it seems to only affect the DSi theme, the other themes seem to set the transparency properly, weird. I can't explain that, as the icons are loaded in exactly the same way, no matter what theme is being used
blink.gif

[edit] Would you believe it? I found te but, it's to do with the icons size... I'll try to remember it in the next update.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just got, and is working great. However, when I go into my rom folder, it takes forever to load. Probably because it needs to load up all the icons?
Scrolling with the touchscreen should be implemented...
Everything else is smooth and neat. Just a little more speed improvement, and touchscreen scrolling would make it much better...
oh and when I move to a different directory, you know how the icons scroll down? after scrolling down, they don't disappear, they kinda stay on the bottom...
and also only english can be displayed.. no japanese/korean etc
and finally, being able to customize the name display portion, as the other mentioned, would be good. Because the built in names, (which are ugly) are the ones that are big and bold. If we can use the file name instead...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro