Hacking DSision2...

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
LiangJai said:
I have DSision2 installed on my R4DS and when I turn on my DS, DSision2 runs, but the backlights of my DS do not work. I have pressed the select button and tried to adjust the backlight level, but it doesn't seem to work. If this helps, I have the old DS/PHAT DS.
Set phat=0 to 1 in the config file. Though this only helps if this is set to auto start, If you run the nds file from another menu the backlights turn off.

a2h

Trophies
XP
Country
iTouch is another M3 product. It isn't related to R4 in any way.

Oh and, spinal, mind if I package DSision2 with my generator?

And what's the difference between DSision_2_R4.nds and DSision_2_R4DS.nds?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
a2h said:

I don't mind, there is no difference, one is a later version that's all.
Will you be keeping an eye on the updates?

a2h

Trophies
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
a2h said:

I don't mind, there is no difference, one is a later version that's all.
Will you be keeping an eye on the updates?
I can't make any guarantees about keeping track of updates, but I'll see...

EDIT: Release! Look here.

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool man! Just remember not to include any of the ysmenu binaries as the author is a tad picky about that.

Spinal:

Yeah I noticed taht as well, I was about to tell you about it, but I gues you figured it out.
smile.gif

I think trying out the different cards is a good idea.... a lot of the problem lies in the fact that a lot of the clones (particularly r4 clones) don't really work the same firmware-wise as their parents.

I've got a r4 III upgrade, for example. After doing some research, it appears that while it is a clone, it didn't come out until after the real R4 died and the people who manufacture it hired the programmers of the legit r4 firmware to keep doing updates. So while most clones simply use the official firmware even though it isn't fully compatable with the hardware, the r4 III line actually has some hardware specific tweaks. While r4 firmware stopped at 1.17 (I think that's the right version?) The III firmware continued and is now in the 3.0s. There is a special patch that adds hardware tweaks. It's one of the reasons I bought it even knowing it is a clone as it isn't shoddily built like others on the market and was extremely cheap (20 bucks, shipping included). I figure this way, if something really cool comes out later down the road (like a slot 1 card that can load gba games by itself) then I won't feel so bad about buying one all over again.

Anyway, I'm rambling.... my point is, while mine is a r4 clone, can run older r4 firmware (with a patch from the manufacturers website) and uses the same r4 file system, it runs into unknown issues with certain apps like moonshell 2, which for some reason I can't get to boot and the auto-patching issue I'm having when your app loads homebrew. While I don't expect you to support my odd-ball clone, what I'm saying is just because the r4, m3 and a few others are extremely similar doesn't mean that running it on one will ensure there are no issues on the others as they all seem to have their little tweaks.

I really appreciate you supporting them though. Most devs write these older cards off as inferior, while in my opinion having to pay 70 bucks for a card that has features you don't need will keep these budget cards and their clones in the market for some time to come.

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
[Im n00bey ]
@ spinal : I dont know how often you look at your PMs on PALib, so i write you a message here, lol~
Ive send you the edited versions source on PALib in a PM.
And the fix you mentioned in the IRC killed many other icons x/ Test it out, I commented out your 'fix' and added the old if() clause again.
And tell me, what you think about the new way of icon loading ^^ it laggs a bit on first scrolling trough the menu, but it doesnt take that long to open big folders anymore (on my folders I keep all homebrew games it always took ages until it shows something)

@The others: If spinal tested out my changes and get the sound-commands to work again you can expect those changes:
- Stylus-Pulling
- Delete shortcuts
- On DSi theme icons now completly scroll out of the screen
- Not possible to have multiple shortcuts to the same file anymore
- Homebrew without Info-Text dont get the text of another homebrew anymore
- DSision2 remembers the file you loaded the last time and scrolls to it on next boot of DSision

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spinal.. can you tell me what image editor you are using to make your images for the skins? The reason I ask is I was working on a skin and transparency on the custom icons doesn't seem to always work. They are 64x64, 8 bit icons with a magenta background. Am I missing something?

Also, as a feature request, do you think it would be possible to allow the use of larger icons? I want to use the real boxes and/or labels on the cards for my collection of commercial games and they work fine as custom icons, but they are a little tiny. A 72x72 or 128x128 option would be great. I know this would effect speed though. Some options for the cover image at the top of the screen would be nice as well, like sizing, position, and the option of having the image flat.

a2h

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone tested out my generator?

:/

Oh and spinal, I removed some images from my package... I don't believe they are absolutely essential, for example, you have file specific icons for the themes that look like they were copied straight from the Layton theme. Layton icons really look out of place in the iPod and DSi themes...

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
leinad said:
[Im n00bey ]
@ spinal : I dont know how often you look at your PMs on PALib, so i write you a message here, lol~
Ive send you the edited versions source on PALib in a PM.
And the fix you mentioned in the IRC killed many other icons x/ Test it out, I commented out your 'fix' and added the old if() clause again.
And tell me, what you think about the new way of icon loading ^^ it laggs a bit on first scrolling trough the menu, but it doesnt take that long to open big folders anymore (on my folders I keep all homebrew games it always took ages until it shows something)

@The others: If spinal tested out my changes and get the sound-commands to work again you can expect those changes:
- Stylus-Pulling
- Delete shortcuts
- On DSi theme icons now completly scroll out of the screen
- Not possible to have multiple shortcuts to the same file anymore
- Homebrew without Info-Text dont get the text of another homebrew anymore
- DSision2 remembers the file you loaded the last time and scrolls to it on next boot of DSision

Wait, are you saying that you made a fix to do those things? or like telling him to do those if there's an update?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
n00bey/leinad is now a full fledged member of 'team DSision' and has been helping with bug fixes and updates. We are currently trying to speed up the icon loading and have a couple of ideas, neither are brilliant
frown.gif

Yes, the above features will be in the next release. I think stylus control is the one people want the most.

B

ball2012003

i have a few questions
1. does this work on the dstt
2. can it load roms
3. is this basically a menu change
4. can you post some photos
sorry if these questions have been asked i dont want to read 15 pages

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
ball2012003 said:
i have a few questions
2. can it load roms

1. Yes, I currently use it as the default loader on my own dstt.
2. Yes, but only if you have ysmenu set up on your card.
3. Yes.
4. There are some around page 4 or 5, but...
teaserjt4.jpg

dsisionihj5.png

B

ball2012003

spinal_cord said:
ball2012003 said:
i have a few questions
2. can it load roms

1. Yes, I currently use it as the default loader on my own dstt.
2. Yes, but only if you have ysmenu set up on your card.
3. Yes.
4. There are some around page 4 or 5, but...
teaserjt4.jpg

dsisionihj5.png
thanks
ill download this right now

charlieram

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, Don't know if you saw my previous post, glad your still working on it it looks great. now for a request
wink.gif
could you add a kidd mode? by removing all options other than selecting roms? maybe a setting in the ini.

many thanks for a great looking loader, if you don't get the speed up maybe you could just pop up a message to say it is busy?

Cheers, CharlieRam

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
charlieram said:
Hi, Don't know if you saw my previous post, glad your still working on it it looks great. now for a request
wink.gif
could you add a kidd mode? by removing all options other than selecting roms? maybe a setting in the ini.

many thanks for a great looking loader, if you don't get the speed up maybe you could just pop up a message to say it is busy?

Cheers, CharlieRam
No problem, I'll add it to the todo list
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Oh God no :ohnoes:
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pineapple is the safe word?
    But you said pine apple...
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog: