DSi Camera Poll

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by webyugioh, Apr 29, 2009.

?

How often do you use it?

1. Every Day!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A few times a week.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A few times a month.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Once or twice when I first got it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I don't have a DSi.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Apr 29, 2009

DSi Camera Poll by webyugioh at 2:45 PM (1,935 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. webyugioh
    OP

Member webyugioh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    I think it is funny that the top feature Nintendo promoted on the DSi was its camera,
    yet, and least for me, it is the worst feature on the DSi.

So, how often do you use your DSi's camera?

2. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    When the Eye Toy (for PS2) was released in 2003 I considered cams-for-consoles a pointless gimmick aimed at the ultra-casual market. Six years on with the DSi my opinion has not changed at all.

I mean, what's the best we can expect? A collection of minigames where you can put your own face on Mario's bell-end? This does nothing more than dumb down our beloved hobby/pastime. It's bad news for anyone who likes quality videogames.

3. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    well the camera is just 0.3 megapixel
    that is quite less
    and not usefull for people like us

4. ekolimits

Member ekolimits GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i use it to show off what the system can do to others.
    it is fun watching them play with it and like it.

thats what i do with it... privately i really dont use it.
    only with others.

5. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States
    Yeah, I completely agree with you. I took a few pics when I first got it, but I seriously doubt I'll use the camera very much. I really hope they don't incorporate it into future games. [​IMG]

6. KamuiX

Member KamuiX GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    Yeah like many of you, I have just used the camera for funny photos the first times and sometimes with warioware (But always have light problems somehow they need to fix the contrast). Until DSi-scene starts and come up with homebrew, like Voip with video, a Remote Survaillance (check your home through DSi cameras!!!) or even just capture (and edit if possible) videos, there is no good and interesting use for the camera

7. Knuxxie

Newcomer Knuxxie Member

United States
    I could understand why Nintendo wouldn't allow you to record videos with the DSi's camera; not enough space.

I sure do hope they come out with an update where there will be videos. Maybe with a catch, like, you have to have at least a 1GB SD card inserted? [​IMG]

Anyway, I haven't got my DSi yet, but I'm getting it in 4 days, for my birthday.

8. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    I don't have a DSi...yet...but when I do I figure all take a few pictures a day, since I don't have a camera of my own.

9. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Only made about 4 or so photos when I got it so they could be displayed on the top screen. What's really annoying about this function is, that it'll display them only if they are stored on the system. If they are stored on the SD card it won't work. [​IMG]

10. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    It was a sad day for me when I heard what the features of the DSi were. I really was shocked! Basically a DS Lite with a cheap camera and a slightly bigger screen.

I can't believe when I see the TV ads here in the Netherlands, and how Nintendo tries to convince us by showing a dude and his girlfriend, they have loads of 'fun' taking pictures of eachother and painting the faces blue. WOWEEE!!!! That's what I NEED to do all day! And if my wife is sick of it I'll just take pictures of the goldfish and make it green! Whahahahaaa! Yeah, as I said, the DSi is a MUST-HAVE.

11. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Seriously, don't honour the DSi.
    Nintendo were like:
    "Okay, then our attempt to kill flashcards by targetting the R4 team only resulted in millions of clones, what now?"
    "Lets make a new DS with crap new features and homosexual piracy control that blocks even some of our own games!"
    "Thats a brilliant idea, All the fanboys and shovelware consumers will buy it without question.
    ????
    PROFIT!"
    "Lets call it the DS(sh)i(te), and remove slot 2!"
    "yeah, even better"
    "How about completely killing off everything that people love about us!"
    "EVEN BETTER! YOU'RE PROMOTED!"

Ect...
    So the DS(sh)i(te) was born. Enjoy!.

an extra £60 for features I'll never use? No thanks.
    an extra £100 for features I will use and awesome stuff? Yes. (actually, I did. Open Pandora.)

12. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Even though I don't use the camera I like the DSi and I really can't understand why some of you hate (!) it so much. It's not like anybody forces you to buy one, not even if you don't have a DS yet.

When did that actually happen?

13. Uruha

Member Uruha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my D900 cell phone from over 2 years ago has a 3.0mp thats 10x better!
    they couldve given us a 1.3 [​IMG] i doubt ill be using mine when i get it though

14. webyugioh
    OP

Member webyugioh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan

The bigger screens are the biggest features in by opinion.
    After playing on the DSi for a few weeks, go and try to use a regular DS.
    It is weird how small the screens seem after using the DSi.

15. commdante

Member commdante GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I really don't understand why there aren't any cam-recording thingies given as a feature. Space isn't that much of an issue ... MemoryStick is a lot more expensive than SD and the PSP can record and edit with it.
    Since Skype can be used on psp2000+ it would really have been nice to have something like that on the DSi too, but ones again .. most likely the homebrew peeps will have to make (something like) it.

0.3MP really doesn't matter that much in whole ... I've seen 5MP camera's taking photo's so bad it looked like a childs toy. My 2MP camera still beats almost every camera out today imo ... although it needs a steady hand and good lighting. Then again, although picture seems fine, it isn't really that fast (prob due to the few pixel/no alternating them).

I think the biggest plus of the increases screen size is better pixel/stylus control ... but I also do think the image quality will go down a lot. (Try a GBA game on a GB(A)-Micro, you'll see a LOT of difference ... which isn't actually there).

My biggest "feel-warm" is about the CPU being twice as fast and the 4 times the memory, although there aren't any games that use it yet, homebrew would be so much better. Quake 2 might be able to run ... and if it could, it should be faster (I doubt SLOT2 access can even BE faster then the internal memory of the DSi) and a lot of stuff should be able to be done since in relative form a LOT less memory is used (eg: a homebrew which uses 2 MB ... only has 2MB free, in DSi it should have 14MB free ... 7x more).

I'm really anxious to get one (imported both my GBA and DS) ... but I only see a real plus when homebrew can be run on it. Untill I see a real must-buy, I won't buy a DSi untill it has homebrew capability.

/me still being puzzled why companies being so awkwards toward homebrews.*

16. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    I used my camera a few times when I first got it - but since finding out that I CAN'T add photos to the SD card to display on the DSi I gradually stopped using it (the only photo DSi will show are one's it take itself - which I find a disadvantage)

However, when my Neices/Nephew turn up - it's all they want to play with (that & the sounds) - & can't be bothered with playing games on it

The idea of 'video' sound like a nice idea (as long as the sound effects can be turned off) - great for taking the odd sneaky video while pretending to play games

17. KamuiX

Member KamuiX GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    1st of all about the video Knuxxie. No you are wrong DSi have wayyy too much space because of the SDHC support. Maybe you must look all the new cameras that use ONLY SDHC cards (no DVDs or cassettes) to record full HD quality video. So for DSi it's easy to record at 640x480 pretty easy with 1 - 2GB for hours!!! The are pen drives with embeded 2-4GB flash memory and hidden cameras also that record for hours.

2nd you forget that DSi has 2xCPU and 4xRAM more than DSL. BUT until now we don't see it in action. We wait for DSi only games and homebrew that can use those hardware upgrades.

3rd don't be hasty noone proved that gba titles are unplayable through flashcards. It's almost the same hardware (i think) so we speak about almost native gba game execution (with a loader of course and maybe without emulation). Please if I'm wrong for the last speculation, correct me

4rd ok many people don't buy it because they don't want to give extra money. This is not a reason to say DSi...shite. And it's not more expensive. (at least in my country) DSL started at 150 euro and DSi started at 180.After a week went to 160, even 150 euro in some e-shops so it's the same

18. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    To be honest, I actually try to use the camera everyday even though I forget sometimes. I try to keep a photo diary. xD

19. P.S

Newcomer P.S Advanced Member

Sweden
    It's not realy as fun as i expected.
    I just like the bigger screens, and stay updated with the newest ds [​IMG]

20. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    It's disapointing how people hate the DSi because it has a camera. Yes, it is gimicky. Big woop, if you had half a brain you'd see the DSi isn't just a DS Lite with a camera or two.

It's the software I'm mainly interested in, and the increased RAM and processor speeds can't hurt. I'll be looking forword to DSi enhanced games and homebrew, thank you very much.