Hacking DSi 1.4 FIRMWARE fix without danny phantom icon

litobro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it contains the whole game? Darn. That would be a hella a lot of work. I meant the current 1.4update file btw. Since it basically uses the Danny Phantom game as a front, forcing the DSi to boot using its loaders instead of the generic AK2i ones. Which is why ninty can't block it using this method anymore as they would be blocking a commercial cart as well. But we could then theoretically, if a tool was released/developed, use any rom as the bootloader. Be it pokemon to danny phantom.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or when a dsi only game gets released turn it into a bootloader.
smileipb2.png

litobro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That might cause issues, perhaps DS normal games might not work anymore. But regardless, ya, we should get someone to RnD it.

phoenixclaws

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShatteredScreens said:
litobro said:
Misleading title +2

But on a related note, could we modify the flashing software so we could potentially use any game/app? Would it be as simple as hex editing? It would be great to get another game besides Danny Phantom to use as our image.
No. I beleieve the entire ROM is on there, not just it's name, so you'd be doing a hell of a lot of hex editing.

I disagree with the "entire ROM" theory mainly because the update was barely over 1.5 MBs. The Danny Phantom game is 16 MBs not stripped and around 14 MBs when stripped. So, sorry, it would be impossible to say it is the entire ROM. Most likely it is the Header portion of the ROM embedded within the firmware of the AK2i. That is my take on it.

JohanX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I understand it, when you develop a commercial game for the DS/DSi, you make your game icon and send it to Nintendo, along with the game's description data (name, publisher, etc). Nintendo then sends back the header that you must install at the beginning of your cartridge image.

This header consists of the icon data and the game description data. It also has one or more "keys". These keys are some sort of check sum that Nintendo uses to validate whether or not this is a valid header.

How this is header generated? Only Nintendo knows, and they ain't telling. :-)

Up until the 1.4 update, the firmware in the DSi never checked that key to see if it is valid. Starting with the 1.4 firmware, they are now doing that.

So, if you change one bit of the logo or game description, the key will no longer be valid and your DSi will not allow the AceKard to run.

Until someone figures out how the keys are generated, you are stuck with Danny....

litobro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well since we've obviously figured out how to extract the header from a game(namely Danny) can we replicate that on another rom, with a different title? Of course, speculation.

anaxs

got milk, got candy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
does it actually really matter if the icon is danny hantom
the main ubjective of the ak is to let u pirate and play games and home brew
i have one and i dont really care about the icon

i undersatnd tho if ur asking for fun

litobro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it's not that it matters, i find it humorous. But I want to try it out just for the learning and self satisfaction, and being able to say, "Look at me, i've got a relatively custom AK2i!"

janouis

Trophies
XP
Country
don't like the danny phantom icon either... hope it restore the ak2i icon in the next firmware update..

JohanX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
litobro said:
Well since we've obviously figured out how to extract the header from a game(namely Danny) can we replicate that on another rom, with a different title? Of course, speculation.
Well - if you can figure out how to flash the AceKard and where to put the new header data in the AceKard, then your answer is yes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)