Hacking DS2x86 v0.01 Alpha released!

Pate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hi all!

I decided to release the first alpha version of my DS2x86 emulator, which I have been working on for the last (almost) half a year. It is still missing a lot of stuff and is very buggy, but since I have sort of promised in my blog to release some kind of a version during this year, I thought now would be a good time. Next I need to do some major changes to it so that it will probably get broken for a while, so I wanted to get the first release out before that.

Looking forward to your test reports! Please note that it really is still very buggy, so do not expect to actually play very many games on it yet. I would appreciate your help in testing it, as I prefer coding it instead of testing a lot of different games on it. :-)

You can get it from my download page at http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/ (also, if you wish to host it elsewhere, that would be appreciated to save the limited bandwidth of my hosting site).

Thanks for your interest!

Edit: Version 0.02 Alpha released!

Patrick "pate" Aalto

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Great to see you on here, Pate!

I love your emu, and I've bought a DSTwo almost exclusively for it
biggrin.gif

As soon as I'll get my DSTWO, I'll do some testing
tongue.gif

fishykipper

pkmn breeder
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Stevetry said:
DS2x86 what does it emulate ?

What is DSx86?

DSx86 is a PC emulator for Nintendo DS. It's purpose is to allow you to run old DOS games on your Nintendo DS game console.
What hardware it emulates?

Currently DSx86 emulates the following:

* 80186 processor (which is actually a 80286 processor without the protected mode stuff)
* VGA graphics
* SoundBlaster (including AdLib-compatible FM sounds) sound card
* 83-key US keyboard
* Mouse

Stevetry

Most perverted person in GBATEMP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fishykipper said:
Stevetry said:
DS2x86 what does it emulate ?

What is DSx86?

DSx86 is a PC emulator for Nintendo DS. It's purpose is to allow you to run old DOS games on your Nintendo DS game console.
What hardware it emulates?

Currently DSx86 emulates the following:

* 80186 processor (which is actually a 80286 processor without the protected mode stuff)
* VGA graphics
* SoundBlaster (including AdLib-compatible FM sounds) sound card
* 83-key US keyboard
* Mouse

so in theory this could somewhat play old dos H games ?

Pate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Stevetry said:

Well, to be precise, DSx86 does that already (see http://dsx86compatibility.pbworks.com/Compatibility-List for a list of games currently supported).

DS2x86 is a version of it using the DSTwo SDK, and is in the early stages of development. In theory DS2x86 could play almost all DOS games at some point, as there should not be that many things that can not be emulated. In DSx86 I chose (knowingly) some architectural decissions that prohibit running some games, but DS2x86 should be more compatible in this regard. That is the future, though. :-)

Pate

Stevetry

Most perverted person in GBATEMP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pate said:
Stevetry said:

Well, to be precise, DSx86 does that already (see http://dsx86compatibility.pbworks.com/Compatibility-List for a list of games currently supported).

DS2x86 is a version of it using the DSTwo SDK, and is in the early stages of development. In theory DS2x86 could play almost all DOS games at some point, as there should not be that many things that can not be emulated. In DSx86 I chose (knowingly) some architectural decissions that prohibit running some games, but DS2x86 should be more compatible in this regard. That is the future, though. :-)

Pate

sweet i test this out and see

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ThePowerOutage said:
A Gay Little Cat Boy said:
So what's the difference between this version and the other version?
Other than working on the DS2?
It uses the DS2's proccessor
So it plays better than the other version?

SirCB85

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Tubby28 said:
what games run with this version
Ever tried to read the OP?

QUOTE(Pate @ Dec 26 2010, 01:56 PM) Looking forward to your test reports! Please note that it really is still very buggy, so do not expect to actually play very many games on it yet. I would appreciate your help in testing it, as I prefer coding it instead of testing a lot of different games on it. :-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o