Gaming DS With Best Screen?

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a DS Lite that I've had since launch but I find myself going back to play on my Game Boy Micro all the time as the screen, although small, is a lot easier on my eyes. I find that my DSL screens have a lot of ghosting and are a strain to look at for any length of time.

So, I was wondering if the screens on newer DSL's or on DSi/XL's are better and sharper. Anyone have different units to compare?

Any info is appreciated. :)

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The DSi definitely has the best screen, DSi XL if you want it larger but if you're comfortable with the GB micro, I doubt it.

DSi has 5 brightness levels, a marginally larger screen and is better quality than the DS Lite in my opinion.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally cannot see a quality difference between the DSi and the DSL, but the DSi and DSi XL likely have the best quality screens.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS phat! jk.

Ive heard that the people that own the DSi XL are very happy with the screens. I myself have a DSL so im guessing the DSi would have the "best" screens.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
A friend of mine has a DSi and I've tried it out. It looks to me like the differences are minimal. Personally, I think the DS Lite screens are just fine. I don't see any of this "ghosting" you're talking about at all on my own DS Lite. Maybe your DS Lite has a minor screen problem.

Reactions: 1 person

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A friend of mine has a DSi and I've tried it out. It looks to me like the differences are minimal. Personally, I think the DS Lite screens are just fine. I don't see any of this "ghosting" you're talking about at all on my own DS Lite. Maybe your DS Lite has a minor screen problem.
Actually some DS Lites have some inferior screens, they definitely do.
The Japanese White DS Lite I got at launch, and the European Silver DS Lite I got for Christmas one year had a distinct difference in image quality. The Silver one had some pretty noticeable ghosting, especially playing games with heavy black lines.
Think Tetris DX played on Lameboy, the black lines of the tetris blocks ghosted pretty badly.

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
^
That's exactly what I've noticed on my DS. The thick black line thing is particularly annoying. Maybe I should go to the shops and try out some different DS's until I find a better screen...

I just presumed that it was a weakness of all DS Lites.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually some DS Lites have some inferior screens, they definitely do.
The Japanese White DS Lite I got at launch, and the European Silver DS Lite I got for Christmas one year had a distinct difference in image quality. The Silver one had some pretty noticeable ghosting, especially playing games with heavy black lines.
Think Tetris DX played on Lameboy, the black lines of the tetris blocks ghosted pretty badly.
I'll check right now to make sure I'm not just remembering it wrong... I'll be checking with two DS games, two GBA games, and two GB/GBC games.

DS Game 1: Tetris Party Deluxe - No ghosting.
DS Game 2: Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits - No ghosting.
GBA Game 1: Kessakusen! Ganbare Goemon 1+2 - A slight bit of ghosting.
GBA Game 2: Sword of Mana - No ghosting.
GB/GBC Game 1: Pop'n Music Disney Tunes - A slight bit of ghosting.
GB/GBC Game 2: Cave Noir - A slight bit of ghosting.

So it does have a little bit of ghosting, but not so much on the DS games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I swallowed macaroni & cheese for dinner. :P +1