DS With Best Screen?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Pedro_Lambrini, Jul 6, 2012.

Jul 6, 2012

DS With Best Screen? by Pedro_Lambrini at 1:24 PM (868 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Pedro_Lambrini
    OP

Member Pedro_Lambrini Gēmu Bōi Adobansu

United Kingdom
    I've got a DS Lite that I've had since launch but I find myself going back to play on my Game Boy Micro all the time as the screen, although small, is a lot easier on my eyes. I find that my DSL screens have a lot of ghosting and are a strain to look at for any length of time.

So, I was wondering if the screens on newer DSL's or on DSi/XL's are better and sharper. Anyone have different units to compare?

Any info is appreciated. :)

2. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    The DSi definitely has the best screen, DSi XL if you want it larger but if you're comfortable with the GB micro, I doubt it.

DSi has 5 brightness levels, a marginally larger screen and is better quality than the DS Lite in my opinion.

3. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I personally cannot see a quality difference between the DSi and the DSL, but the DSi and DSi XL likely have the best quality screens.

4. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    DS phat! jk.

Ive heard that the people that own the DSi XL are very happy with the screens. I myself have a DSL so im guessing the DSi would have the "best" screens.

5. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    A friend of mine has a DSi and I've tried it out. It looks to me like the differences are minimal. Personally, I think the DS Lite screens are just fine. I don't see any of this "ghosting" you're talking about at all on my own DS Lite. Maybe your DS Lite has a minor screen problem.

1 person likes this.
  6. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Actually some DS Lites have some inferior screens, they definitely do.
    The Japanese White DS Lite I got at launch, and the European Silver DS Lite I got for Christmas one year had a distinct difference in image quality. The Silver one had some pretty noticeable ghosting, especially playing games with heavy black lines.
    Think Tetris DX played on Lameboy, the black lines of the tetris blocks ghosted pretty badly.

7. Pedro_Lambrini
    OP

Member Pedro_Lambrini Gēmu Bōi Adobansu

United Kingdom
    ^
    That's exactly what I've noticed on my DS. The thick black line thing is particularly annoying. Maybe I should go to the shops and try out some different DS's until I find a better screen...

I just presumed that it was a weakness of all DS Lites.

8. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    I'll check right now to make sure I'm not just remembering it wrong... I'll be checking with two DS games, two GBA games, and two GB/GBC games.

DS Game 1: Tetris Party Deluxe - No ghosting.
    DS Game 2: Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits - No ghosting.
    GBA Game 1: Kessakusen! Ganbare Goemon 1+2 - A slight bit of ghosting.
    GBA Game 2: Sword of Mana - No ghosting.
    GB/GBC Game 1: Pop'n Music Disney Tunes - A slight bit of ghosting.
    GB/GBC Game 2: Cave Noir - A slight bit of ghosting.

So it does have a little bit of ghosting, but not so much on the DS games.