ds rpg games with horses

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by alkahest, Aug 3, 2010.

Aug 3, 2010

ds rpg games with horses by alkahest at 2:36 AM (1,390 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. alkahest
    OP

Member alkahest GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i need a rpg games that allows my main character to ride horses

2. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    a ds rpg where you character rides a horse... hmmm...
    well, there's the never-ending chocobos (FF), airships (FF, nostalgia, etc), trains (zelda spirit tracks), boats(FF, zelda phantom hourglass), bikes (pokemon), spaceship (infinite space) etc, but of all the DS RPGs i've played, i swear i've never seen a character riding a horse. well, there does seem to be a horse-drawn carriage following the main character in DQ5. or you could get scribblenauts and have the character ride a horse.

3. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Zelda is not an RPG, please edit.

4. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    My god was that so necessary? Could it have not gone unsaid? Philistine.

5. Shinigami357

Philippines
    i could go into a "zelda is/isn't an RPG" debate, but meh. i was basically outlining the colorful variety of transportation options you main character has at certain points of the storyline (or throughout the whole storyline in some cases) to our bereaved colleague over yonder, which, for some reason, doesn't seem to include a horse. say what you will about zelda being or not being an RPG, frankly, i don't think he'll care either way. to each his own.

PS
    Zelda IS an RPG. but i am not debating that with anyone, lolz

6. jmsales

Newcomer jmsales Newbie

Philippines
    @Shinigami357

what a grammar..

7. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Disagreed! Game-wise is indeed RPG as in Role-playing but GENRE-WISE IS NOT! Now get that clear in your head if u dont intend to debate ^^

8. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    QFT The game police have no business on a pirate site.

But truly, I can't think of a single RPG in which a character rides a horse. @TC: But why I do you say you "need" an RPG with horses? I mean, are you writing some sort of thesis that makes that element a requirement? [​IMG]

9. Shinigami357

Philippines
    a video game is basically you playing as a character to achieve certain goals depending on the story, gameplay mechanic, etc. basically, you don't play as you, you are playing in the role (or in control) of some other character(s) (be it link, master chief, a bunch of protoss zealots, stick-man in a flash game, etc). in this way, EVERY video game IS role playing (the earliest such were MUD's and text-based games where one dark corner can end up with you getting devoured by something, lol). the only reason we now have such diverse game genres is that the basic context has branched out to a thousand different ways (if you ever played contact, you'd know what i mean). if you're blasting someone's face full of lead, it's a shooter, if you're bashing some guys head in with a hadouken, it's a fighting game, etc. but you're still not playing as you. you're just in a mostly predetermined role, playing a game.

add to that the fact that the latest zelda (in the DS, anyway) had options to change equipment (boomerang, whip, bomb, bow and arrow etc), your outfit (you have to unlock them, though), your health (find hearts for link, get a complete set of upgrades for the train) and even had side quests (gimme a ride there, deliver x number of y item here, even one where you pick up the photographer near those hellish trains) it is easily a pseudo-RPG in terms of genre (it's mostly classified as an action-RPG)

PS
    there, you got me started, muahaha. peace. and i hope the guy does find some game where our equine friends are given their due, though i think it unlikely.

EDIT: ok, maybe not EVERY video game (what role would you be playing in tetris, for example, lolz) but certainly90+++% of them

10. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    If I hear one more thing about the fucking merits of what is and isn't a RPG I'm gonna slap you all in the face with a big wet salmon. Just shut the fuck up. Please.

For all the games that take place with horses being part of them I can't think of a single one where you actually ride a horse or use a horse a lot, RPG wise in particular. Only thing that comes to mind is Oblivion, but that's obviously not on the DS.

...But why such a random request? Just curious.

11. Inunah

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    I don't know about any on the DS, but I think the PS1 ver of Xena: Warrior Princess has Centaurs. Close enough?

Oh, and if you could go into Strategy games too, there are some units who are on horses in Fire Emblem games.

12. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Sorry, looks like horses went the way of split screen. I can't think of any games worth mentioning where the main character rides a horse, not on the DS at any rate. Obviously you have stuff like Elder Scrolls Oblivion on the PS3/360, but the only game on DS I can think of with horses in it is Fire Emblem, some of your characters ride horses, like your cavalry and Paladins.

Well, unless you'd settle for 'Imagine Ponyz' or some such crap. Those are your options.

And don't get me started on the 'Zelda is/is not an RPG' debate, it took me years to destroy the cruel reign of Dash_Jr over on Gamefaqs, during which that was a key issue. Nothing good can come from reviving this arguement. Rearing it's ugly head as it rises from the dead yet again to drag us all to ruin...oh my, it's the embodiment of Ganondorf. Someone stab it in the head!

13. Daidude

Member Daidude The genius

United Kingdom
    dunno about DS but on wii there's Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess.

14. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Techinally not a horse or you don't ride them but theres Final Fantasy Fables Chocobo Tales.....

15. Shinigami357

Philippines

please don't. [​IMG] i still dunno what's people so stiff about the topic. you don't think link murdered their chickens??? [​IMG] frankly, zelda = GREAT GAME in my books.