1. ExplodingGoose123

Newcomer

Netherlands
    I am quite new to this, and i am looking for the right software to edit sprites and backgrounds. I managed to find some online tools like pixilart and piskel and converted it with GIMP, but when i converted the image, some brown colors where gone or turned black. Is there some (free) software where you can set your own resolution, set 8-bit colors and save it as .bmp?

Great toturial btw, very fun if you have a nintendo and some motivation left!
    Will there be another lesson (For example CMaps)?;)

2. Foxi4

OP Foxi4 Local Infamous Villain
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Your problem is transparencies. The first colour in the pallete is always the transparent one, so wherever it was used on the picture will seem see-through, exposing the pitch black void underneath. :P

In regards to collision maps, it's very simple logic - create a background that represents your map boundaries, then hide it underneath the visible layer. Once done, create a routine that checks the colours of the pixels on that background. There's a function in Nightfox that does just that if you look at the documentation, but let's say that we want to know how it works. Say your sprite is 8 pixels by 8 pixels, so if pixel 2,3 (dead center of the bottom of the sprite touches colour 0,0,0 (black) then your sprite is standing on the ground. You can do that any number of times and program responses to any colour. :)

3. ExplodingGoose123

Newcomer

Netherlands
    Thanks for the fast reply and help Foxi4.

I thought the only color that was transparent was magenta (255, 0, 255)... Guess i have to change my drawings than.

Thanks a lot!, no more tons of if/elses for me:rofl2:.

One more last thing... Is there a way to let things move in gimp?(So for example i can create a sprite in piskel, and convert it to a moving .bmp in GIMP). I tried to convert it into a .png, so i could edit it in GIMP, but it seems like i lose my animations than. Changing the batch files so it converts a .gif instead of a .bmp also doesn't seem to work.

4. Foxi4

Global Moderator

Poland
    You need to make a sprite strip. Make it the width of the sprite and the height of however many frames you have. There's an example of an animated sprite in the Tic Tac Toe code, you just need to adjust the animation to your needs. If it makes it easier, you can create an animated gif and convert that into a strip, there was an app that did just that, but the name escapes me right now. You'll have to do some Googling for a converter or manually strap frames together into a strip.

As for the transparency issue, you don't necessarily need to change the drawing, you just need to change the first colour of the palette to something that's not anywhere else in the picture - magenta is a common choice, but it can be anything. You can manually edit the palette in GIMP.

5. ExplodingGoose123

Newcomer

Netherlands
    Thank you a lot! You are really some kind of genius.

6. Foxi4

Global Moderator

Poland
    No worries, always happy to help. :)

7. ExplodingGoose123

Newcomer

Netherlands
    Sorry for the spam, but i am having trouble again...
    I tried to change the first color of the pallete in GIMP to magenta, but that doesn't seem to do anything, the blur is still there(When i try to convert the image to a .bmp it gives an error and says that there isn't a alfachannel, and it will make one, but i don't know if this is the problem). I tried to edit the .pal file that comes with the .img file after converting, but the file seems corrupted, i can't open it with any software i tried, so i tried looking for the example you provided. In the .nds file aren't any animations, but i could see some magenta blur around the circles and crosses. I am using No$Gba, as you recommended earlier, but maybe it could be something else?

Also, where does the magic happen from the strip to animation? Like where is the strip (.png/.jpg) coming into a animation? The batch files are kind of a grey area for me, so i figured that must be the place, but i am not so sure now, and i don't want to run into more problems.:lol:

Last edited by ExplodingGoose123, Aug 16, 2020
  8. Foxi4

Global Moderator

Poland
    That's more a matter of me being lazy than the console's fault - if you get any artifacting during resizing or if you use colour blending, you'll end up with uneven transparencies, like I did. This is why sprites normally use some kind of a border to separate the sprite from the transparent background.

As for the animation, that happens on the console itself. Imagine that it's a strip of film, with frames from 0 downwards, that scrolls across the screen. You only have a viewing angle of one frame at a time, so you create the illusion of motion as the "film" scrolls.

Hope that helps. :)

9. ExplodingGoose123

Newcomer

Netherlands
    I don't use any random sites to make my pixelart, so that is one convert-step less, drawing now in GIMP. I don't get any alfa-channel-errors anymore. I created a border as you recommended, but the blur is still there. But when i open the batch file Convert_Sprites, i get a message at the start with "Shared palette name:" I just filled it with "dino" because that is the name i recall in my code, but i know now the palette is way more important than i thought, so maybe i am doing something wrong in here? I don't add a palette anywhere, so that could be a problem, but the batch file does make a .pal file, so i thought that it would be fine.

Yes, this helps a lot, i know now i don't have to worry about any extra software, thanks a lot!:D

10. Foxi4

Global Moderator

Poland
    Any chance you could post a screenshot from an emulator or something that would let me diagnose the problem?

11. ExplodingGoose123

Newcomer

Netherlands
    Yes of course. In any case, it isn't great. I am not an artist, so the pixelart lookse horrible:ha:.
    Error.png
    You can see in the left bottom corner some black blur, that is where the dinosaur is supposed to be. It is a little bit confusing because the trees are also black (the converting didn't go well here either.)
    result.png
    This is my ugly dinosaur that should be in the left bottom corner. The first color is magenta, as used in the background. I tried it with a color that didn't exist in my picture too.(No animation, i started about a few hours ago with learning to make pixelart in GIMP.)

Last edited by ExplodingGoose123, Aug 17, 2020
  12. Foxi4

Global Moderator

Poland
    Ah, I understand. You're using the wrong palette for the dinosaur, that's my first guess. It seems to be using the wrong colors. Each sprite and background have their own transparency and the creator is making a joint palette, but that will give you grief if you're using a lot of colors at once. My suggestion would be to use a separate palette for each background layer and a palette for sprites, as opposed to using a single one. There are batch files available for that kind of processing, and NFlib does support loading multiple palettes, I believe you have four slots, but my memory of the library is hazy.

13. ExplodingGoose123

Newcomer

Netherlands
    sorry for the slow response, but thanks a lot! I have a feeling of getting finally close to what i want.:yay:
    It works now too! The dinosaur yawning without sound in the background. Pretty useless, but still fun!
    again, Thanks for all the help!

Foxi4 likes this.
  14. Foxi4

Global Moderator

Poland
    You're welcome! Sound effects should be easy to add, all you need is normal wave forms. I always use mono sounds since the DS speakers are craptastic anyway - saves you space.

15. Cai0

Cai0 Newbie
    Newcomer

Brazil
    Hi, so i'm having some trouble with the libnds. Basically the way my little code appears on real hardware is different from the emulator.
    I'm using Desmume, an acekard (maybe the 2 because of the theme i use) and the TWilightMenu++ (basically nds-bootstrap) to run.
    The results on the hardware doesn't change from the acekard to the nds-bootstrap, but it differs a lot from the emulation and what i expect.
    The code makes two squares (16x16) and shows in on both screens.
    IMG_6767.JPG

Last edited by Cai0, Aug 22, 2020
  16. Foxi4

Global Moderator

Poland
    Desmume is an emulator tailored for retail releases, it has a lot of trouble with accurately testing homebrew. My first suggestion is to test on No$GBA going forward, it's the recommended emulator due to its accuracy and extensive developer tools. I would also need to see a code snippet of some kind to give advice, without it I'm poking blindly.

17. Cai0

Cai0 Newbie
    Newcomer

Brazil
    Right, so here's the full code i've made.

Code:
    #include <nds.h>
    #include <stdio.h>
    //---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    void createSquare(int x, int y, OamState *screen, u16 *graphics, u16 color);

bool isRunning = true;
    touchPosition touch;

int upperScreenSquareX = (SCREEN_WIDTH/2) - 8;
    int upperScreenSquareY = (SCREEN_HEIGHT/2) - 8;
    int speedUpperSquare = 5, facingVectorX = 0, facingVectorY = 0;

int main(void) {

u16 *upperScreen  = oamAllocateGfx(&oamMain, SpriteSize_16x16, SpriteColorFormat_Bmp);
        u16 *bottomScreen = oamAllocateGfx(&oamSub, SpriteSize_16x16, SpriteColorFormat_Bmp);

//Inicializa a tela Superior [upperScreen]
        videoSetMode(MODE_0_2D);
        vramSetBankA(VRAM_A_MAIN_SPRITE);
        oamInit(&oamMain, SpriteMapping_1D_32, false);

//Inicializa a tela Inferior [bottomScreen]
        videoSetModeSub(MODE_0_2D);
        vramSetBankD(VRAM_D_SUB_SPRITE);

oamInit(&oamSub, SpriteMapping_1D_32, false);

while(isRunning) {
            //Inicializa a leitura de input
            scanKeys();
            int held = keysHeld();

//label: Bottom Screen
                //Realiza operações, usando o input
                if(held & KEY_TOUCH)                                             touchRead(&touch);
                if(!(held & KEY_TOUCH) && (touch.py < SCREEN_HEIGHT - 16))  touch.py += 1;

//Deixa o quadrado dentro da tela, não o deixa sair da tela (age como borda)
                if(touch.py < 0)                                                      touch.py = 0;
                if(touch.py > SCREEN_HEIGHT - 16)                   touch.py = SCREEN_HEIGHT - 16;
                if(touch.px > SCREEN_WIDTH - 16)                     touch.px = SCREEN_WIDTH - 16;
                if(touch.px < 0)                                                       touch.px = 0;
            //EndLabel: Bottom Screen
            //Label: Upper Screen
                facingVectorX = 0;
                facingVectorY = 0;

if(held & KEY_UP)                facingVectorY = -1;
                if(held & KEY_LEFT)             facingVectorX = -1;
                if(held & KEY_DOWN)         facingVectorY = 1;
                if(held & KEY_RIGHT)          facingVectorX = 1;

upperScreenSquareX = upperScreenSquareX + (speedUpperSquare * facingVectorX);
                upperScreenSquareY = upperScreenSquareY + (speedUpperSquare * facingVectorY);

if(upperScreenSquareX > SCREEN_WIDTH - 16)                     upperScreenSquareX = SCREEN_WIDTH - 16;
                if(upperScreenSquareX < 0)                                                       upperScreenSquareX =  0;
                if(upperScreenSquareY > SCREEN_HEIGHT - 16)                    upperScreenSquareY = SCREEN_HEIGHT - 16;
                if(upperScreenSquareY < 0)                                                       upperScreenSquareY = 0;

//EndLabel: Upper Screen

//Cria o quadrado
            createSquare(upperScreenSquareX , upperScreenSquareY, &oamMain, upperScreen, ARGB16(1, 31, 12, 12));
            createSquare(touch.px, touch.py, &oamSub, bottomScreen, ARGB16(1, 12, 31, 12));

//Renderiza a tela
            swiWaitForVBlank();

// Atualiza as telas
            oamUpdate(&oamMain);
            oamUpdate(&oamSub);
        }
        return 0;
    }

void createSquare(int x, int y, OamState *screen, u16 *graphics, u16 color) {
        dmaFillHalfWords(color, graphics, 16*16*2);
        oamSet(screen,1,x, y, 0, 15, SpriteSize_16x16, SpriteColorFormat_Bmp, graphics, 0, false, false, false, false, false);
    }

Wow, it got messy these spaces...

Last edited by Cai0, Aug 22, 2020
  18. Foxi4

Global Moderator

Poland
  19. Cai0

Cai0 Newbie
    Newcomer

Brazil
    I've compiled the example and i've got the same result

IMG_6770.JPG

20. Foxi4

Global Moderator

Poland
    That's really bizarre... I don't quite understand why this would be the case, but I'll investigate when I have a moment.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Programming, Newbies,