1. toberkel

toberkel GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Do u have discord? I could send u a few screenshots ther...
    I try to build a plugin but whenever i use the build.bat i get a lot of error codes...

2. Foxi4

OP Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    You are most definitely in the wrong section. This is a DS programming tutorial, you seem to be having problems with the Switch - I suggest looking there.

3. in my devkitPro folder there is no file named MAKE.exe. am i missing something or what?

Last edited Aug 20, 2019
  4. PolyMars

PolyMars Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks a lot for this tutorial!

alexander1970 and Foxi4 like this.
  5. Foxi4

OP Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Thanks! It's admittedly a little out-of-date at this stage, but the core concepts still apply. I'm not sure if NightFox Lib is still maintained, so as you progress through it you may find yourself needing to use pure libnds, which is admittedly a better option if you intend to write serious code.

Calvein and alexander1970 like this.
  6. PolyMars

PolyMars Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I haven't really wrapped my head around creating sprites with pure libnds yet, but now that I understand the basics of DS programming with NFLib I should get there soon enough! Even when using NFLib, I was pretty lost on how to create proper sprites for my dumb Flappy Bird clone before I came across your tutorial, so thank you so much :bow:

Attached Files:

alexander1970 and Foxi4 like this.
  7. Foxi4

OP Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    That looks like fun, well done!

Sprites converted with GRIT should work exactly the same in pure libnds as they do in NFlib - you just need to load the palette file correctly in order for them to display on the screen - there's a bit more fumbling and more setup involved, but in the end it's cleaner and closer to hardware. I suggest having a look at the wealth of examples that come with the devkit - they'll take you through everything you need to know about the DS's sprite system. You seem to have the groundwork already covered, I'm glad that I was able to help. It's a bit of a shame that I lacked the foresight to backup all the software I used when making this tutorial, but I guess hindsight is always 20/20. :)

PolyMars and alexander1970 like this.
  8. PipeWarp

PipeWarp PipeWarp

United Kingdom
    @Foxi4 Hey! I was learning from your tutorial (really great btw!) and needed some help with GRIT when making a background.
    I converted my image to an 8bit bmp, but when i put it through grit (convert_background.bat), i get the image, but 1 colour missing. Any help? Thanks!

9. Foxi4

OP Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    That'll be your transparency, if I recall correctly. The first colour in the palette file will be transparent - I think there's a way to pre-set it to something. I'll have to re-check it though, it's been literally years since I wrote this.

10. PolyMars

PolyMars Member
    Newcomer

United States
    In GIMP you can manually edit the palettes of indexed bitmaps, so I always set the first slot of the palette to be magenta (#FF00FF), even if my background doesn't use it, to fix that issue.
    upload_2020-3-28_15-55-54.png

Calvein, PipeWarp and Foxi4 like this.
  11. Foxi4

OP Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    That's what I thought. :D

PipeWarp and PolyMars like this.
  12. PolyMars

PolyMars Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Yep, even 8 years after writing this, your advice is still solid. :yaynds:

Foxi4 and PipeWarp like this.
  13. PipeWarp

PipeWarp PipeWarp

United Kingdom
    Thanks!!!!!!! Helps a lot!

PolyMars likes this.
  14. Just_A_Musician

Newcomer

United States
    So, like, none of the links for the software actually work, at least not on windows 10. Are there up to date links, or am I screwed?

15. PolyMars

PolyMars Member
    Newcomer

United States
    You can get NightFox's Lib here, and this wiki page explains how to install and set up the latest devKitPro toolchain. As for the Drunken Coders plugin/VS Code editor, they're outdated and not necessary. Instead, you can use Programmer's Notepad (included with devKitPro) as your code editor and compile your code with the command line (or, if you're using NFLib, the included batch file).

Foxi4 likes this.
  16. Foxi4

OP Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    As mentioned above, you don't really need the wizard. 8 years ago when I originally wrote this I recommended using VS with the Drunken Coders template because it made for a good development environment, but both are entirely optional. After many years of messing around with code I've switched entirely to various flavours of Notepad - Programmer's Notepad comes bundled with devkitPro, Notepad++ is also a good choice. Sadly I didn't backup any of these old resources simply because I myself switched away from them, so I can't offer a reupload.

PolyMars likes this.
  17. declanb

declanb Member
    Newcomer

United States
    — Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

how does this work lmaoo

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

sorty

18. Kda122

Kda122 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    hi Kelvin

19. Dani24f

Dani24f Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    Hello! I've being trying to make a Hello World program with an FPS counter built in just for fun, but I have this problem when compiling the program:

"expected primary-expression before '.' token" (see attached file)

The RTC seconds are stored into the "seconds" variable situated into the "RTCtime" struct (system.h library).

Do you have any fixes for this? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

20. IC_

IC_ gbaTemp Fan

Poland
    I'm not exactly sure how these libraries work but don't you need to create your own struct object with that type first?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Programming, Newbies,