Hacking DS N5 Revolution is it a new r4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSharpe

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi All,

I have a 'M3 DS Real' and an 'R4 Revolution' and I have not had any problems with both of these.

I have just received my 'N5' and I cannot get it to work, it just freezes on the 'Loading' screen.

Now, I suspect this is one of two issues.

1. The firmware is 'buggy'
2. I have a faulty card which isnt reading the MicroSD card.

Anybody else had similar issues ?

fumiNET

Trophies
XP
Country
DaveSharpe said:
Hi All,

I have a 'M3 DS Real' and an 'R4 Revolution' and I have not had any problems with both of these.

I have just received my 'N5' and I cannot get it to work, it just freezes on the 'Loading' screen.

Now, I suspect this is one of two issues.

1. The firmware is 'buggy'
2. I have a faulty card which isnt reading the MicroSD card.

Anybody else had similar issues ?

I've got the same issue myself, hangs at the loading screen.

It's a pain, as my new Crimson DS arrived today.
frown.gif

perimbean

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Wow! I think R4 still has got its "value" afterall (developers releasing kernel updates).

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd flashcart (one which support SDHC).....

Any good recommendations. N5 is readily available...can someone review the product please?

Thanks!

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
perimbean said:
Any good recommendations. N5 is readily available...can someone review the product please?
Don't get it. It doesn't have SDHC. There are better carts.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
perimbean said:
Wow! I think R4 still has got its "value" afterall (developers releasing kernel updates).

Thanks!
N5 is a bad version of R4. Think of it that way. It has no SDHC support, and has quite a few problems. I would recommend you to buy something else.

My favorite is Supercard SDHC, and I'm loving it. So far, there's no game that doesn't work for me, and it's fully loaded with features (That I still haven't used
laugh.gif
) and it's fairly cheap for its price, and it has a good support from the team.

There's also cyclo, but it's quite expensive. It has the best support though. It has the same features as well.

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
AndreXL said:
If I remember correctly, there are 2 games that does not work on R4's latest firmware:
Puppy Palace and FIFA 08 (EU)
If these two does not work on N5. This means they do have the same code.
All we need now is someone who own the new card to test it.
tongue.gif

i have just tested both on the n5ds:

Puppy Palace doesn't work (white screens).

Fifa 08 works perfectly.

the fifa i tested is the ntsc not eu.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
Umm unless the firmware gets better, then we will see many ppl flocking to it since it IS an R4 and M3 product
at the moment... better go for cyclo or the new M3 cheap flashcart
Strangely i don't understand why M3/R4 are releasing too many carts like N5 and M3 cheap then M3 Real etc

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shakirmoledina said:
Umm unless the firmware gets better, then we will see many ppl flocking to it since it IS an R4 and M3 product
As far as we know, no it isn't.

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
ok kernal 1.17 is released yesterday & i have tested both games again this time i did the fifa EU version it worked just like the ntsc version did but Puppy Palace is still hangs on white screens.

Fozzie Bear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have the n5 software they could throw up somewhere? I got a card on the cheap to test out, but all of the firmware on the N5 site won't download.

thanks

mitchondria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
im new to this so dont get too upset...

should i get one of these r4 clones (n5) or wait for my firelink card to come available?

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
mitchondria said:
im new to this so dont get too upset...

should i get one of these r4 clones (n5) or wait for my firelink card to come available?
Why not get something else? I bought my Supercard for 35 bucks, and it completely destroys the real R4.

scsc168

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a new n5, but it would not work. It just get stuck in the loading screen. Anyone has any ideas or suggestions? Please help! I have tried both 1.17 and 1.16 with no luck.
cry.gif

scsc168

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
problem solved..... i had to format my MicroSD card to FAT32. FAT doesn't not work in n5. If you are stuck on Loading.... go ahead and try this technique.

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The big question. Does the N5 play DS Roms and save games flawlessly using R4 Kernals? No moonshell or homebrew crap, just straight DS rom playing and saving?

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gblock247 said:
The big question. Does the N5 play DS Roms and save games flawlessly using R4 Kernals? No moonshell or homebrew crap, just straight DS rom playing and saving?

Well, given that you can encrypt the N5 kernel using Yasu's tools and use it on the R4 - and presumably vice-versa, since about the only thing they changed was the name - I'd be surprised if it didn't work the same way for most things. I think I read some claims that some of the troublesome games (Castlvania:PoR) had trouble on this card even on fast MicroSDs that it worked fine on the R4 with - but for the most part, it should be fine.

Unless the *real* Team R4 finds a way to stop updated kernels working on this thing, of course. If these are unauthorised, as they appear to be, I can't imagine Team R4 wanting to support them indirectly.

backlash

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
perimbean said:

Thanks!

i just got a batch of N5's today and i was testing t hem out for fun and its been pretty bad. i copied the firmware off the provided minicd (v1.16), turned it on, and what do you know? it says R4. looks and feels exactly like an R4 too. but before that, the microSD slot on the n5 is visibly deeper than the one on the r4 and also feels like it could break.

also, not so obvious, is that the chip sticks out on the n5 but its not so obvious. other than that, build quality is pretty much the same as the r4.

loading speed is what i would say twice as slow on an r4.

XBlade316

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i have a n5 and it was bull on 1.16 one but i think they might have got compliants and they made the people who sell refund so they did some mayjor fixing OR they robbed r4...
if u dont want ur friends to no u have n5 just get a sticker saying r4 and use r4 kerenl instead(worked for me)
o and just to add i was bored so i took out all theme from the sd card and the theme shows up as r4 theme
rolleyes.gif

this good card if u just dont throw around too much(might be cheap lol)
hate2.gif

yaynds.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?