Hardware Homebrew Is _R4__III.DAT Kernel compatible with GBArunner2 (R4 Upgrade Revolution) on DS Lite

Woozles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Cartridge(1).jpg

Cart: R4 Upgrade Revolution for DS (nds/ndsl)

I've spent a whole a whole night with this Cart and still no luck loading GBA roms with GBArunner2 on a DS Lite. Just a lot of black screens, even with YSMenu.

- Running the _R4__III.DAT Kernel
- Using the arm9 version and GBArunner2, it boots but freezes when trying to load the game
- Have GBA bios and verified the checksum but it will not load when booting a game
- I have try to load TwiLightMenu on here but does not seem compatible with this cart
- I have used YSMenu and still I just get a black screen

Has anyone got GBArunner2 working with this cart on a DS Lite and can to help me out?

Last edited by Woozles,

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
- I have try to load TwiLightMenu on here but it's not compatible with this cart
It is.. What you have is the original R4, and that is compatible with it
- Have GBA bios and verified the checksum but it will not load when booting a game
Have you verified the game checksum(s) as well? Have you checked if they're compatible?
- I have used YSMenu and still I just get a black screen
The best kernel for that flashcard is Wood R4, dunno if it would make a difference in regard to GBARunner2, can't imagine it would be worse than YSmenu though

Reactions: Woozles

Woozles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@banjo2

Thanks for the reply, I will try the Wood 4 Kernel next.

I verify the games, I've tried to load Advance Wars [E], Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past [E] and Pokemon Ruby [UE].

Glad to hear TwiLightMenu is compatible, I will give this a go after trying Wood R4.

Last edited by Woozles,

Woozles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Okay update, so the r4ds dot com website say's to move __rpg folder and the _DS_MENU.DAT into the root of the MicroSD. When I load this on the DS Lite it gets stuck on a screen that says Loading...

I have three working builds for this card that all contain a few more files which seem critical:
- _DS_MENU.SYS
- _R4__III.DAT
- _system_ (folder)

and a few more for moon shell which I don't think is critical

pics of working builds:

basic:
Capture.PNG

with YSMenu:
Capture2.PNG

GBArunner2 will not load GBA roms either build. I'm wondering how to get wood running still, the website instructions are fairly vague and I want to know If there are some other files or steps needed to get wood up (cough) and running.

Also I should note that I am using a 32g SDHC microSD and it works with the builds i posted for ds games, just not GBA roms with GBArunner2.

Last edited by Woozles,

Woozles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Alright! It's Alive!

@banjo2
so I am 99% sure this card is a clone, Might be why it needs the _R4_III.DAT file.

This is how I got GBArunner2 loading GBA roms on the clone. I used my working build posted in this thread. Then downloaded Wood R4 for Clones 1.42 and set it up. Loaded the Wood R4.nds file, then GBArunner2 and bam! GBA roms are working now.

Cheers hope this helps others out there facing this problem.

Last edited by Woozles,
Reactions: banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol