Hacking DS Lite Light Diffuser has snapped off.

Dueler

OP
Trophies
Website
dueler.blogspot.com
XP
Country
So i had my DS in my room, somehow it found its way to my floor under my blanket and i came home and it had been stepped on i guess.
The damage is the same as shown here:

DS02.jpg

It is still fully functioning and i keep it inside my Big Bang DS Lite Sound Grip so the screen doesnt fall out because its held in by the screen clamps.
I have since ordered a replacement case but was wondering if i would need to order any other parts in order to complete the job.

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you need to replace is the bottom interior part of the shell and the piece that snapped. Should be easy

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Doesn't look like there's any internal damage. Its a weak-spot on the DSLite anyway. The same thing happened to my little sister's DSlite and my little cousin's DSLite. Best idea is to get a replacement case, its not particularly difficult but the cable in the hinge can be fiddly as all hell.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Most replacement cases (at least the ones off DX) come with the light diffuser now, so I'd replace the whole case for a nice shiney new one!

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
This is semi easy job, not too hard but not piece of cake either.

most what you need to so is screw the bottom part of DS open. Take main board out (in this case you can keep bottom screen with touch screen intact) and buttons etc with it.

just follow disassembly/assembly guides, I think the nut will open to you.

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jamstruth said:
Doesn't look like there's any internal damage. Its a weak-spot on the DSLite anyway. The same thing happened to my little sister's DSlite and my little cousin's DSLite. Best idea is to get a replacement case, its not particularly difficult but the cable in the hinge can be fiddly as all hell.

Its not as bad as everyone thinks it is. When i first replaced my DS I was being to cautious and didn't think I'd be able to slip the ribbon cable without tweezers.
It's okay to bend the cable a bit but not completely
smile.gif

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Bently said:
Jamstruth said:

Its not as bad as everyone thinks it is. When i first replaced my DS I was being to cautious and didn't think I'd be able to slip the ribbon cable without tweezers.
It's okay to bend the cable a bit but not completely
smile.gif
I actually underestimated the strength of the ribbon cable.

I was sure I had been too rought with it when rolling it up to get through the hinge, and when I slipped it through the slit into the bottom half. Then when it actually worked I was quite shocked.

That's not to say you shouldn't be careful with it, I was just being too careful. But you don't really need tweezers
tongue.gif
Maybe for getting it back into the LCD connector, but not the other stuff.

But LCD cable stuff is totally off topic, because you can actually replace the corner with the light diffuser without detaching anything from the motherboard. If you just unscrew the 2 phillips heads holding it down and carefully lift it up by pushing it through from the touchscreen and just move it even so slightly you can acess the 2 screws for the corner; and you should just be able to pop it off, change it/put the light diffuser in, pop it back on and screw it back in.

Edit: Oh, err didn't see the pic there. You would need to repalce more than the corner for that, since the bit it screws into has kinda falled off.

So yeah, forget everything I said because you might aswell replace the whole case whilst you're there.

...I think I need to get to sleep; 23:52 and school tomorrow = brain no worky

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
zhuzhuchina said:
you need the right hinge with the metal ring too if it's broken or miss
most ds lite shell don't include that metal item
No he doeasn't. That on the other side, and you can clearly see the hinge mechanism is still there.

And both my replacement housings came with the metal ring that goes on the other side.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER