DS Lite, connection to screen problem? (Shuts off after boot)

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Anj, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Anj
    OP

Newcomer Anj Advanced Member

Canada
    I've had my DS for about two years (give or take a few months), a few weeks ago black lines started to appear on the top screen and eventually dissapeared for about two weeks, but today the top screen went black. I could see the top screen, but theres no light. So I tried fixing it by making the light brighter, but then it shut off and when I try to turn it on the bottom screen flickers and the whole ds shuts off. I think it might be trouble with the wires connecting with the screen. I also have a DSTT but I don't think it has nothing to do with it since I play my DSTT with my brother's ds as well :/

2. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    loose ribbon cable?

3. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    More likely a faulty screen (or cable) the top screen cable gets a lot of abuse as it goes across the hinge.

The top screen and cable come as a complete part (about $10) replace it and it will be fine

4. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    For those who only want to replace the cable and not the whole screen, I believe it is focalprice where I saw those for sale. Top screen ribbon cables. Beats the hell outta me how you're supposed to install those. I broke my top ribbon cable once and found no way to remove it...

5. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    You can only replace the cable on the Phat, the lite is a sealed unit!

6. Sticks

Member Sticks GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    The ribbon cable is ripped in the hinge area most likely. Same thing happened to me more or less, first my sound from the speakers died - since they're part of the ribbon cable, then the screen, then the DS would flicker and turn off. (classic sign of bad ribbon cables)

Grab a $10 top screen replacement off DX, you'll need some soldering skills though it's not too hard. Just get a good (not too hot) soldering iron and solder, and remember which contacts go where. Look up a few tutorials here or on google if you're still not sure. Heck it was my first time soldering in 8 years, went without a hitch. [​IMG]