Hacking DS Linker save types and back up saves?

Fangedelic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sao Tome and Principe
I'm quite confused by this, it supports 3 kinds of saves, Flash 2mbit, EEPORM 4kbit and EEPROM 64/512 kbit. However, I found out Pokemon Diamond/ Pearl uses a save called Flash 4mbit. What save type do I use for my pokemon then?

Also some additional questions for those that can help. What do the different save files mean and if I change the save type from the default one the game needs, will it make a difference?

And for those with experience with DS Linker, the card has 6 backup save slots but I don't know how it works. If the saves are already in .sav format, whats the use of having those 6 backup save slots? I am so clueless that it comes to a point I just choose the first slot when I start any game now, from not knowing what to do. Is this safe? Can someone explain clearly how those back up saves work? Thanks!

alancia

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
if you choose an another kind of save type than the save type the game need your save will be corrupted
when a new rom is released you have to choose a savetype because the save type is not in the ds linker database
you must test the three save type and see wich can let you load your game.

to use the six save slot ou have to go in the operating system folder of the ds linker and change a line in the config file
you have to put 0 instead of 1 at the line :
forcebackup=1

but with 0 the savebackup of the game you were playing is done when you choose another game
the ds linker will ask to backup previous save, you have to push a button then it will ask to load the save of the game you want to play.

alancia

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
sorry forgot to something for pokemon you have to use the 2mbit it work perfect for me i've got 24 hour of playing so far and no save corruption.

i thnk in the next firmware they're going to add the 4mbit savetype.
for now you don't have to worry cause 2mbit works perfect for me.

DJJoker

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
thedjdiaries.blogspot.com
XP
Country
to use the six save slot ou have to go in the operating system folder of the ds linker and change a line in the config file
you have to put 0 instead of 1 at the line :
forcebackup=1

but with 0 the savebackup of the game you were playing is done when you choose another game
the ds linker will ask to backup previous save, you have to push a button then it will ask to load the save of the game you want to play.

This isn't completely correct
blink.gif

Leave the config files alone so that automatic saves still happen. I use this as a form of save backup, as I have occasionally "lost" a save, not sure why but it has happened a few times.
cry.gif

After you finish playing a game, turn off your DS and then restart it until you reach the DSLinker menu. Then press the start button. It will ask you to choose a save slot to save the game into (it is always the last game played). At this stage I work in incremental backups, as shown below
smile.gif

Slot1. 2007-05-07 13:06
Slot2. 2007-05-01 13:00
Slot3. 2007-05-02 19:00
Slot4. 2007-05-03 11:00
Slot5. 2007-05-04 16:30
Slot6. 2007-05-06 21:00

ALWAYS start using save slot 1 to play the game but never use slot 1 for your "backup" save as it will be overwritten the moment you start your DS.

When you reach the last slot, just start replacing them from slot2 onwards again.

What happens if I do lose a save ?

When loading the game, simply choose the most recent backup save slot (in this case Slot 6)
smile.gif

Fangedelic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sao Tome and Principe
Thanks dude! I know you are trying to explain as clearly as possible about the save system but I still do not get it. Whats the difference between the in-game save and a back up save the DS Linker does.

Just now, I was fiddling with force backup and put the value to 0. Before I knew it, my Megaman ZX Data was gone! But when I went back to my computer to check, my Megaman ZX .sav was still there. But only the Megaman ZX in-game save was gone, but not my other saves for the other games ( Children of Mana, Mario Kart DS etc).

Also, I decided to experiment abit and delete the .sav file for my Pokemon Diamond through my computer. Lo and behold, when I started my Pokemon game again, I could play from the last save which I deleted. What is going on?

This is confusing! Can someone explain to me in layman's terms??? Sorry for being a newb!

Is one backup save only for one game only? So for example I cant save Megaman ZX and Pokemon Diamond on save slot 1? Do I have to save Megaman ZX in save slot one and Pokemon Diamond in save slot 2 etc?

P.S So far I have been choosing Backup save 1 for ALL my games because I just don't know what it means.

Fangedelic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sao Tome and Principe
But lets say for example, I save in Pokemon Diamond on the first slot. When I boot it up again, it gives 'Slot1. 2007-05-07 13:06'. Now I go to a different game say Megaman ZX. The first slot still says 'Slot1. 2007-05-07 13:06'. If it was truly independent of each other, and EACH game should have their OWN 6 backup slots, shouldnt the slot 1 when I select Megaman ZX be called 'save slot 1 is empty', to show that its not affected by Pokemon Diamond. Please help Im confused.

And can someone answer my previous post? thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill