Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

Funyarinpa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That is indeed intended behavior. I believe it even happens in the original SM64. It happens in several other levels as well if you get to a second area. I think even the Volcano level does that if you enter the Volcano. In other words not a bug, but I believe something done out of convenience for the player so you potentially don't have to take the whole trip again to get into the pyramid (unless you are aware of the shortcut ofc...)
Ah, thank you very much!

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's this about it corrupting SD cards over 64gb? Is that a new discovery? Or has it always done this?
It only happens for some users, it seems.
Is the fix just an option in twilight itself?
Yes.
And if it corrupts with that off, and it's down to libfat or libnds, what then?
Open an issue at either the libfat or libnds repos.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

Instandhaltung

I feel it. I feel the cosmos!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It only happens for some users, it seems.

Yes.

Open an issue at either the libfat or libnds repos.

Hey Rob, I want to make a play ready 2DS XL for my little sister, so it has to be noob proof. I wanted to add some DS games with forwarder CIAs, so that she doesn't need to use weird menus :P
Anyway: Since those games seem to corrupt the SD card, and the options are not entirely safe anyway on cards over 32gb, would you recommend to limit the size at 32gb for a person who can't backup and change cards? Do you know why this size is safe? Or is it just that corrupts haven't been reported yet at 32gb and below?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Rob, I want to make a play ready 2DS XL for my little sister, so it has to be noob proof. I wanted to add some DS games with forwarder CIAs, so that she doesn't need to use weird menus :P
Anyway: Since those games seem to corrupt the SD card, and the options are not entirely safe anyway on cards over 32gb, would you recommend to limit the size at 32gb for a person who can't backup and change cards? Do you know why this size is safe? Or is it just that corrupts haven't been reported yet at 32gb and below?

Thanks a bunch in advance!
The corruptions only happen for users with >= 64GB, if the "Save FAT table cache" option is turned on, which is off by default.

v14.2.0: Earth Day release

Check here on how to update TWiLight Menu++.

Includes nds-bootstrap v0.34.0.

Here's an Earth Day release to make TWLMenu++ (and nds-bootstrap) as green as possible!

What's new?
  • In the TWLMenu++ splash screen, the background has been changed to green, for Earth Day!
  • Bubbles have been added to the Homebrew Launcher theme!
  • Eigo ga Nigate na Otona no DS Training: Eigo Zuke now launches, but a late SDK2 ROM is required to be set as a Donor ROM.
  • Removed the game blacklist for DSiWarehax users.
Bug fixes
  • Kabu Trader Shun now boots by using the required MPU settings.
  • The first 2 Crayon Shin-chan games now work properly with `Heap Shrink` set to `Auto`.
  • HBL theme: Box art is no longer cached, as box art is not displayed.

Certesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m trying to play Pokémon HeartGold with twilight on my N3DS but the game won’t boot. The game is ap patched and twilight and bootstrap are updated. The game loads to the “nds-bootstrap please wait” screen and then it freezes with a black screen on top and white screen on bottom. If someone could help me that would be great

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I’m trying to play Pokémon HeartGold with twilight on my N3DS but the game won’t boot. The game is ap patched and twilight and bootstrap are updated. The game loads to the “nds-bootstrap please wait” screen and then it freezes with a black screen on top and white screen on bottom. If someone could help me that would be great
There is no need to ap patch this ROM before running it in twlmenu++. Try it without AP patching it first.

Instandhaltung

I feel it. I feel the cosmos!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The corruptions only happen for users with >= 64GB, if the "Save FAT table cache" option is turned on, which is off by default.

Thanks for the response! But what about the "If it's already turned off when corruption happened, then it's due to an issue with either libnds or libfat." thing? Tbh I don't even really know what those are, and websearches did not help :unsure:

Reactions: banjo2

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the response! But what about the "If it's already turned off when corruption happened, then it's due to an issue with either libnds or libfat." thing? Tbh I don't even really know what those are, and websearches did not help :unsure:
Both are libraries for the DS and the FAT filesystem, respectively.

Greynok

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Both are libraries for the DS and the FAT filesystem, respectively.
Yo robz i've one question, I use twilight menu for 2 months but idk how to edit my saves, like with pkhex or something like that. With others games installed on my sd or with cartridge I can use twl savetool or jksm.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yo robz i've one question, I use twilight menu for 2 months but idk how to edit my saves, like with pkhex or something like that. With others games installed on my sd or with cartridge I can use twl savetool or jksm.
There are various tools to edit .sav files, such as pkmn-chest for Pokemon games.

Reactions: banjo2

lookshaf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed Twilight Menu++ to play my DS games in widescreen, so I followed the steps in this thread.

Now when I play DS games, they’re just stretched across the screen. I thought it compressed them before stretching them to make them look better.

I’m playing Pokémon White 2 (USA) which is listed as compatible. I’m using the original game card because I didn’t see anything about it only being compatible with ROMs.

Is there an extra step I missed? Do I have to apply a cheat to the game? Or is this just how it is? I might just turn off widescreen if I can’t get this to work

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed Twilight Menu++ to play my DS games in widescreen, so I followed the steps in this thread.

Now when I play DS games, they’re just stretched across the screen. I thought it compressed them before stretching them to make them look better.

I’m playing Pokémon White 2 (USA) which is listed as compatible. I’m using the original game card because I didn’t see anything about it only being compatible with ROMs.

Is there an extra step I missed? Do I have to apply a cheat to the game? Or is this just how it is? I might just turn off widescreen if I can’t get this to work
Is TWiLight Menu++ itself stretched as well?
If so, then that's a bug. It's not disabling widescreen, for some reason.

wad11656

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Are you basically just complaining that widescreen looks ugly? That's just how it is. Either you or I have a misunderstanding of what "compressed" means because when you say "compressed before stretching them to make them look better" it doesn't make sense to me. To me, compressing something = make it smaller = looks worse (usually). But you say you want the opposite: for it to look better.
If you instead said you wanted smoothing filters, that would make sense to me. The creator of the widescreen patch said filtering was impossible with widescreen patch, so the blocky appearance is as good as we can expect

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you basically just complaining that widescreen looks ugly? That's just how it is. Either you or I have a misunderstanding of what "compressed" means because when you say "compressed before stretching them to make them look better" it doesn't make sense to me. To me, compressing something = make it smaller = looks worse (usually). But you say you want the opposite: for it to look better.
If you instead said you wanted smoothing filters, that would make sense to me. The creator of the widescreen patch said filtering was impossible with widescreen patch, so the blocky appearance is as good as we can expect
It works by having a cheat code for the game compress the image horizontally, then TWL_FIRM stretches it back out.
As for the horizontal pixelated appearance, we're hoping that GPU scaling could fix that, so that the image is filtered.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp +1