Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

lookshaf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try deleting the TWLMenu++ titles in FBI title list, then install the CIAs manually.
Will do! I’ll update when I try this.

Are you basically just complaining that widescreen looks ugly? That's just how it is. Either you or I have a misunderstanding of what "compressed" means because when you say "compressed before stretching them to make them look better" it doesn't make sense to me. To me, compressing something = make it smaller = looks worse (usually). But you say you want the opposite: for it to look better.
If you instead said you wanted smoothing filters, that would make sense to me. The creator of the widescreen patch said filtering was impossible with widescreen patch, so the blocky appearance is as good as we can expect
The blocky appearance isn’t a problem, I get that! I understand there are limitations. My understanding was that the widescreen patch allowed the game to display a little more on the left and right, rather than just stretch the original image.

wad11656

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will do! I’ll update when I try this.

The blocky appearance isn’t a problem, I get that! I understand there are limitations. My understanding was that the widescreen patch allowed the game to display a little more on the left and right, rather than just stretch the original image.

Oh ok my bad all around lmao. Yeah, it sounds like all it's doing for you right now is making it ugly without actually stretching further along the screen to the left and right. It is indeed supposed to stretch further left and right to cover the black bars:

Without patch:
IMG-5755.jpg

With patch:
IMG-5754.jpg

Reactions: The Catboy

Instandhaltung

I feel it. I feel the cosmos!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Both are libraries for the DS and the FAT filesystem, respectively.

Hey Rob. I really don't want to bother, but that did not really answer the questions. Any way to avoid this specific corruption when installing TwilightMenu or afterwards? Are these libraries installed during the process? Or is it something you can avoid all together? Are you certain, that 32gig cards and below can't corrupt, or is this just an estimation because you haven't had any reports yet? I want to make this as safe as possible for my sister :wub:

Reactions: banjo2

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Rob. I really don't want to bother, but that did not really answer the questions. Any way to avoid this specific corruption when installing TwilightMenu or afterwards? Are these libraries installed during the process? Or is it something you can avoid all together? Are you certain, that 32gig cards and below can't corrupt, or is this just an estimation because you haven't had any reports yet? I want to make this as safe as possible for my sister :wub:
The libraries are part of devkitPro, which is installed to PC.
And yes, I am certain. I never had such issues myself.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

Instandhaltung

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The libraries are part of devkitPro, which is installed to PC.
And yes, I am certain. I never had such issues myself.

So if you ummm don't even know what devkitPro is, and you don't need it for the install process, then you'll be super safe and can use cards above 32gb? Thanks <3

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if you ummm don't even know what devkitPro is, and you don't need it for the install process, then you'll be super safe and can use cards above 32gb? Thanks <3
devkitPro is obviously not needed.

As long as "Save FAT table cache" is disabled, it's safe on SD cards above 32GB.
Disabling it actually fixed the corruption issue for a lot of users.
I use a 16GB SD card on my DSi, and a 32GB SD card on my 3DS, and I never got corruption on those cards, with or without the option set.

If corruption still happens, then the SD card could be dying, though chances are low, if you used that SD card for a while with no issues, or if you just started using it.

Instandhaltung

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
devkitPro is obviously not needed.

As long as "Save FAT table cache" is disabled, it's safe on SD cards above 32GB.
Disabling it actually fixed the corruption issue for a lot of users.
I use a 16GB SD card on my DSi, and a 32GB SD card on my 3DS, and I never got corruption on those cards, with or without the option set.

If corruption still happens, then the SD card could be dying, though chances are low, if you used that SD card for a while with no issues, or if you just started using it.

Thanks a lot, bro!

lookshaf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try deleting the TWLMenu++ titles in FBI title list, then install the CIAs manually.
Okay I did this and the stretching is gone. I also regenerated the Widescreen.cxi file and placed it in sd/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/

Now when I launch my game though, it doesn't go widescreen. I have the widescreen setting turned on in TWLMenu++ settings. That makes me wonder, is this supposed to work with regular game cards? I haven't installed any ROMs (yet).

Reactions: RocketRobz

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I did this and the stretching is gone. I also regenerated the Widescreen.cxi file and placed it in sd/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/

Now when I launch my game though, it doesn't go widescreen. I have the widescreen setting turned on in TWLMenu++ settings. That makes me wonder, is this supposed to work with regular game cards? I haven't installed any ROMs (yet).
Yes. It works with regular game cards.

lookshaf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. It works with regular game cards.
Okay I guessed so.

I set everything up, and it still did not seem to work.

Then, instead of moving the twlBg.cxi file to sd/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/, I copied it, so the original was still in sd/luma/sysmodules/. Then when I launched TwiLight Menu++ it was stretched again, so I assume I should not leave that file in the sysmodules folder.

I'm going to reinstall again and see what happens.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Okay I guessed so.

Then, instead of moving the twlBg.cxi file to sd/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/, I copied it, so the original was still in sd/luma/sysmodules/. Then when I launched TwiLight Menu++ it was stretched again, so I assume I should not leave that file in the sysmodules folder.

Nevermind, removing twlBg.cxi from sd/luma/sysmodules/ fixed the stretching. But I'm still not getting widescreen DS games with the widescreen setting turned on. Here is my configuration:

Luma config:
1.jpg

TwilightMenu settings:
4.jpg

Widescreen.cxi file
7.jpg

Super Mario 64, not in widescreen
6.jpg

Any more tips?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 162
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 142
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 172
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 140
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 120
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 107
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 150
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 179

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I guessed so.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nevermind, removing twlBg.cxi from sd/luma/sysmodules/ fixed the stretching. But I'm still not getting widescreen DS games with the widescreen setting turned on. Here is my configuration:

Luma config:
View attachment 206021

TwilightMenu settings:
View attachment 206024

Widescreen.cxi file
View attachment 206027

Super Mario 64, not in widescreen
View attachment 206026

Any more tips?
Try renaming the "twlBg" folder to "TwlBg".

EraTostaNess

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hey, I need help emulating Dragon Quest 5. So, I installed the Twilight Menu ++ because of the AP patcher so I could play DQ5, and I was able to install it and get the game to work. Problem is, the game wasn´t patched, so I can´t leave the ship... What could be causing this problem? I have tried two different DQ5 Roms but none of them seem to work. Also, I have the latest version of the Twilight Menu so it shouldn´t be the problem...

Ah another thing, I am really new to all this homebrew things. So have in mind that I may have done a really stupid/basic mistake...

Last edited by EraTostaNess,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I need help emulating Dragon Quest 5. So, I installed the Twilight Menu ++ because of the AP patcher so I could play DQ5, and I was able to install it and get the game to work. Problem is, the game wasn´t patched, so I can´t leave the ship... What could be causing this problem? I have tried two different DQ5 Roms but none of them seem to work. Also, I have the latest version of the Twilight Menu so it shouldn´t be the problem...

Ah another thing, I am really new to all this homebrew things. So have in mind that I may have done a really stupid/basic mistake...
TWiLight Menu++ and nds-bootstrap aren't emulators.

Also, what theme are you using in TWLMenu++?

Munandar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I wanna ask if I'm going to use 64gb sd card on my dsi, what format should I use? FAT32 or can I use exFat? And been reading the forum lately, I'm curious what really 'Save FAT Table cache' do? What advantage and disadvantage if I'm enabling it? And the VRAM Boost? I really want to understand this thing...

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna ask if I'm going to use 64gb sd card on my dsi, what format should I use? FAT32 or can I use exFat? And been reading the forum lately, I'm curious what really 'Save FAT Table cache' do? What advantage and disadvantage if I'm enabling it? And the VRAM Boost? I really want to understand this thing...
exFAT is incompatible, so use FAT32.
"Save FAT Table cache" saves the cache of the file sectors of both the ROM and save files, so that nds-bootstrap doesn't recreate the table, and instead, read the saved table, so that the ROM boots up faster.
VRAM boost isn't needed.

Reactions: Alexander1970

livinitwarrior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I've noticed after updating to 14.2, that my DSi XL will go blank screen after closing the shell on some of the games. On my regular DSi, there's no issues. But even if I move SD cards from the DSi to the DSi XL, it'll do the same thing. It's like the sleep patch has been discontinued on the XL's? I've tried a few games that are fine (marios, etc), but Megaman games in particular will do this. All of my settings and files are the exact same. Is this just me or anyone else noticed this?

EDIT: Deleting the old TwilightMenu folder and uploading the previous version has fixed it.

2nd Edit: updated up to 14.2 after the above, and that has remedied the issue, meaning there was an issue with a setting OR I installed incorrectly. Sorry

3rd Edit: after turning off the WiFi LED (menu) and resuming play, a few hours later, it did it again. turned LED back on, and completely powered down (instead of quick reboot via power button tap), and suddenly it's ok (for now).

Last edited by livinitwarrior,

Dubya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. Just installed 14.2.0 on my DSi XL and I'm having an issue with S8DS freezing on all Game Gear and Master System roms on start-up.

I've tried installing older versions of S8DS as well as Twillight with no luck.

I'm using a 16GB SD Card formatted to FAT32. The rom files I'm using are .gg and .sms

After some reading, I've noticed a few others have had this problem in the past but haven't seen a cause / solution.

Any ideas?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. Just installed 14.2.0 on my DSi XL and I'm having an issue with S8DS freezing on all Game Gear and Master System roms on start-up.

I've tried installing older versions of S8DS as well as Twillight with no luck.

I'm using a 16GB SD Card formatted to FAT32. The rom files I'm using are .gg and .sms

After some reading, I've noticed a few others have had this problem in the past but haven't seen a cause / solution.

Any ideas?
Try turning on SMS/GG ROM loading into RAM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already +1