DS flash cart section: proposed cleanup.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So the general flashcart forum section is full of stuff, it needs a trimming and cleaning.
Here's my suggestions on which threads to remove/merge/revamp.
  • "NDSL disassembly/reassembly guide" - Could be moved to the "DS console and games" section (for lack of a dedicated hardware section), since it doesn't have anything to do with flash carts, but is still good info.
  • "DSi FAQ" - Can be removed. Most of the info in there is volatile in nature (and outdated anyways), the important concepts (flash cart updates, blocking, etc.) have already been incorporated into various other tutorials and guides.
  • "Dump Your own DS Games" - Quite outdated, mac-only. The "How to dump your own 3DS/DS games/saves" sticky is more up to date, cross-platform (relying on FTP in general or methods that stay on the DS unit), and covers saves as well. Having the older mac-only sticky with more limits is redundant.
  • "Current flashcards working with DSi 1.4.1" - Quite outdated, needs to be removed if it's not going to be kept updated (preferably with a list of the most recent firmwares for both DSi and 3DS since sometimes people get a unit with slightly-older firmware, and the 3DS is a big concern now too).
  • "How to repair the Screens on a DS Lite and the Hinge" - Moved to the "DS console and games" forum since it's about the hardware and jazz.
The rest of the threads are updated and relevant so they can stay as far as I see.

There is one thread I'd like stickied as well, but I want opinions on how to modify it first.
  • "Flash Carts And DSi/3DS Updates" - This is an important subject nowadays, and I find myself linking to this thread on an almost daily basis in order to explain to people why their Acekard or R4i Gold or whatever stopped working after they updated it and why they need to run the bootloader update to fix it. People updating their DSi/3DS at all is a common issue. I can't count the number of "HELP" threads that start with something like "So I visited the eshop and it told me to update...", so I want to modify the thread a bit to catch the attention of users (as much as possible) to tell them ahead of time to not update the system. I'm pretty sure changing the title to "DON'T FUCKING UPDATE" will be frowned-upon, so I welcome suggestions. :P

And finally, a note one one of the threads I wrote there.
  • "How to dump your own 3DS/DS games/saves" - I don't have any devices with a slot-2 anymore and haven't done much of this in ages, I can't test any new tools/techniques that rely on slot-2, nor do I have any of the dumping hardware that a lot of other forum users have. Somebody else can take over this thread if they're willing to.

Reactions: 5 people

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I completely agree with most of the points you've made.
Mentioned stickied threads have been unpinned.
NDSL disassembly and screen replacement video have been moved to NDS FAQs and Tutorials.
You all can discuss the last two points.

EDIT: And thank you, Rydian.

Reactions: 3 people

loco365

Trophies
XP
I completely agree with most of the points you've made.
Mentioned stickied threads have been unpinned.
NDSL disassembly and screen replacement video have been moved to NDS FAQs and Tutorials.
You all can discuss the last two points.

EDIT: And thank you, Rydian.
Gots a quick suggestion that might be a good idea, but could "NDSL disassembly/reassembly guide" be unlocked if someone is willing to take over it or if the OP is willing to keep up to it? I think I'll be making good use of that thread soon enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxYoQPhGaW8 +2