ROM Hack DS Download Play - Send nds file with Planet Puzzle League

D

Deleted-236924

Guys, what would happen if you tried transfering a Pokémon Distribution rom that way?

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
Guys, what would happen if you tried transfering a Pokémon Distribution rom that way?

Doubt it would work since the distribution ROM has the wonder cards stored in the data directory and the ROM would try to read them from the slot 1, but those ROMs can run from a flash cart perfectly fine.

D

Deleted-236924

KazoWAR said:
but those ROMs can run from a flash cart perfectly fine.
Yes, but some people might only have one flashcart and might want to be able to send Wondercards to a Pokémon game located on their flashcart (assuming they want their save file to not be modified externally.)

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poryhack said:
machomuu said:
I'm not referring to PassME, I'm referring to the basis of the topic at hand.
Then your quote was misleading. But even the "basis of the topic" is pretty useless because in order to send anything with this method you need a flashcard to run the modified ROM.
The receiving of the rom is done via DS Download Play, a flashcart is needed to send it.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Got a quick question- Does anyone have the DS Bricker Virus from Mario Party? I think that we can mod it (Obvs removing the bricker part of it) to bypass the check that the system makes.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Team Fail said:
Got a quick question- Does anyone have the DS Bricker Virus from Mario Party? I think that we can mod it (Obvs removing the bricker part of it) to bypass the check that the system makes.
You sure that's safe?

loco365

Trophies
XP
machomuu said:
Team Fail said:
You sure that's safe?
I'll test it on an emulator to make sure that only the new inserted code is running. But it's like firing an arrow up in the air- you won't know until you test it. If I had another DS system, I'd be more than willing to brick it. Plus, I could install Flashme on it. But I don't have second lite or phat. ._. Just a one DS Lite and a 3DS.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Team Fail said:
machomuu said:
Team Fail said:
You sure that's safe?
I'll test it on an emulator to make sure that only the new inserted code is running. But it's like firing an arrow up in the air- you won't know until you test it. If I had another DS system, I'd be more than willing to brick it. Plus, I could install Flashme on it. But I don't have another lite or phat. ._. Just a DS Lite and a 3DS.

If you actually manage to get the DS Bricker file from someone (I asked someone a while ago, idr who but they said no, which I completely understand), I would be willing to test it on my DS Lite. 1, I never use it. 2, it's FlashMe'd. 3, My brother also has a Lite, so worst case scenario I can do a bios chip hot swap.

loco365

Trophies
XP
plasma dragon007 said:
Team Fail said:
machomuu said:
Team Fail said:
You sure that's safe?
I'll test it on an emulator to make sure that only the new inserted code is running. But it's like firing an arrow up in the air- you won't know until you test it. If I had another DS system, I'd be more than willing to brick it. Plus, I could install Flashme on it. But I don't have another lite or phat. ._. Just a DS Lite and a 3DS.

If you actually manage to get the DS Bricker file from someone (I asked someone a while ago, idr who but they said no, which I completely understand), I would be willing to test it on my DS Lite. 1, I never use it. 2, it's FlashMe'd. 3, My brother also has a Lite, so worst case scenario I can do a bios chip hot swap.
Well, What I'll do is run the bricker completely unmodded in an emulator. So I have a baseline to start from (knowing that I have a brick wall screen.) Then, I'll open it and modify it, then run it again. If there is no brick screen, I'll let you know. First, I need to find the Mario Party modded rom.

loco365

Trophies
XP
ProtoSphere said:
I'd say that full games don't work because they don't fit in RAM and because the game is probably trying to read from SLOT-1
I don't think so. Electroplankton DS doesn't have any peripherals at all, and it still fails. It doesn't even need a save! Plus, the ram is quite large, I think. And homebrew also fails, even if it falls under that size limit.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS has 4mb of RAM. Not gonna pull apart any DLP roms right now, but my guess would be that the download play file is less than 4mb in size. Otherwise... if you try to download play, say, N+, which is still only 8mb (iirc) to the DS... where are the last 4 mb of the rom going?

If you found a DS game, that, when trimmed, was less than 4mb, I would think that would be bootable over download play.

In fact, just for the sake of "why the fuck not?", I would be more interested in seeing if the .srl could be booted off of a flash cart when renamed to a .nds file. Again, it would serve no purpose except for "why the fuck not?"

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
so baisicly what your saying is if had a game that has DS download like sonic rush then I could. open with dslazy & replace the download.srl with my homebrew I could send it to another DS trough DS download to play?

Kiaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
t377y000 said:
so baisicly what your saying is if had a game that has DS download like sonic rush then I could. open with dslazy & replace the download.srl with my homebrew I could send it to another DS trough DS download to play?
Yes, but I believe you'll need to have flashme installed on your DS lite for homebrew to work. Without flashme, the sent homebrew will not be bootable (it'll hang at the Nintendo logo screen).

Kiaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
plasma dragon007 said:
DS has 4mb of RAM. Not gonna pull apart any DLP roms right now, but my guess would be that the download play file is less than 4mb in size. Otherwise... if you try to download play, say, N+, which is still only 8mb (iirc) to the DS... where are the last 4 mb of the rom going?

If you found a DS game, that, when trimmed, was less than 4mb, I would think that would be bootable over download play.

In fact, just for the sake of "why the **** not?", I would be more interested in seeing if the .srl could be booted off of a flash cart when renamed to a .nds file. Again, it would serve no purpose except for "why the **** not?"

Apparently, there's a Rhythm Heaven demo that is 32mb in total. I tried to send it over, but the game hangs at the logo. I'm wondering how this 32mb file was even able to become a demo. As for renaming the download.srl file to .nds, yes, it does work on a flashcart if you rename it to a ".nds" extension. It's just a plain demo the game company provided.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
plasma dragon007 said:

In fact, just for the sake of "why the fuck not?", I would be more interested in seeing if the .srl could be booted off of a flash cart when renamed to a .nds file. Again, it would serve no purpose except for "why the fuck not?"

yes DS has 4mb of ram
but what about the DS expandable ram to 8mb+ trough the gba slot.
& also on the dsi Havering 16mb of ram.
& how much ram for 3ds lol

ProtoSphere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
t377y000 said:
plasma dragon007 said:

yes DS has 4mb of ram
but what about the DS expandable ram to 8mb+ trough the gba slot.
& also on the dsi Havering 16mb of ram.
& how much ram for 3ds lol
Extra memory cannot be used via the GBA slot unless the application is specifically designed to use it. Also, since the DSi switches to DS Mode when using download play, only 4 MB of memory will be available.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool. Though I still can't see any practical applications for this and I can't see why anyone would want to download a homebrew game...?
unsure.gif

Anyway, I have a load of games under 4MB (which are all crap but hey) the smallest being Billiard Action at 1,983KB (2MB).
Try and see if that works.

Edit: Here's a list of games I have that are under 4MB:
Under%204MB.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1