DS Download Play - Send nds file with Planet Puzzle League

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Kiaku, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Kiaku
    OP

Member Kiaku GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Unless you have flashme installed in your DS firmware, you can ONLY boot official Nintendo DS demos through this method!! With flashme, you can boot homebrew and demos!

After countless times of unpacking different NDS games that sends demos to DS download play, I finally found a game where I can literally CHANGE the demo it sends.
    I was able to send the demo "Jump Super Stars" to my 3DS DS download play with a DS lite on the game "Planet Puzzle League". The game Planet Puzzle League has the option to send a "demo" to DS download play for others to play. I unpacked the rom and found the file that is the demo itself. Here is the procedure:

- Unpack Planet Puzzle League with DSLazy
    - Go into the "data" directory and search for the file "download.srl" (This file is the demo the game sends to DS download play. Apparently, you can rename this file to ".nds" format and run it with no$gba cleanly)
    - Download the Jump Super Stars demo from here: http://www.akkit.org/DS/E3/
    - Rename the Jump Super Stars demo to "download.srl" and place it into the "data" directory of Planet Puzzle League, replacing the file.
    - Now repack the rom and name it w/e you want and boot the game from your flashcart.
    - In the game, navigate to "Wireless", then "demo". The game is now sending the "Jump Super Stars" demo to DS download play. (It will show up as Planet Puzzle League icon in DS download play, but once the download finishes, it boots up as the Jump Super Stars demo.

The nds file size limit is ~4mb!!

You will require a flashed DS firmware (flashme) in order to boot homebrew data with this method. The 3DS is unlikely to perform flashme, therefore, 3DS owners (like me) can only boot official Nintendo demos through download play (or in other words, Nintendo SIGNED nds files)

I tried to replace the demo file with other NDS files (such as retail games), but once the download finishes, it shows the Nintendo logo and then hangs. Experiment with this as you please.

Other retail games that sends demos are Cooking Mama and Polarium. Cooking Mama's demo file is "child_0.srl", while Polarium's is "trial.bin". Thank emmanu888 for the information!

Video Link

Update: I managed to change the header of homebrew files by unpacking them with DSLazy and replacing their "banner.bin" and "header.bin" with Jump Super Stars Demo.
    I tested WaimanuDS, and the Nintendo logo appeared without glitches, but it still hangs.

Update: After doing some research, I found out why homebrew data hangs:

"To a DS with FlashMe installed you can stream homebrew unsigned code. But to an unflashed DS with original firmware you can only stream officially signed demos from Nintendo."
    I doubt the 3DS will be able to perform flashme, so I guess we can only send demos now.

I found the information from here: WifiMe Wiki Page

After doing some research, I found out this was done similarly a long time ago: Similar topic

2. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Ooh, I might try this. Sounds interesting. I wonder if emulators with games can be sent over? I don't think it's possible as the SD card cannot be accessed. Maybe if there is a flashcard in the 3DS you could.

Perhaps bypass the play log.

3. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    I probably won't bother trying this, but it sounds interesting nonetheless.
    Nice find.

4. loco365

I found out the reason for the hangs. They have special headers that have an image in them so when you download it, it says "Nintendo" and then boots. I think that the "Nintendo" thing is in that demo that isn't in another game. Since it is missing, it just hangs.

I'd love to build around it though.

5. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Wow, that's a pretty interesting development. I'd like to see what could be done with this.

6. Kiaku
    OP

Member Kiaku GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well then, I guess it up to others to find out how to import the Nintendo image >.

7. loco365

idk... It is possible because DS Brickers have the image, although it is modified. So it's more than possible. We need to find out how.

8. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    This is.. quite a find, I wonder why this hasn't been done yet. Anyways, good job, but, what are possible uses for this?

9. loco365

Hm. Well, you can share homebrew with friends. I'm trying different games to no avail. Maybe if Homebrew was made with this header in mind, we could transfer homebrew to other systems using this technique.

Ok. I inserted a valid rom image (Game And Watch Collection) and the Nintendo showed up correctly. It still crashed. What is the smallest retail game available? I am going to try it and see what happens. I also wonder what will happen if other format files are sent (GBA, etc) I (highly) doubt it will work but who knows.

10. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    N+ is pretty small, try that.

11. emmanu888

Member emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Canada
    tried with the table hockey tech demo hang on the nintendo logo

12. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    old news... I mean really old. the whole idea behind ds download station (except that is demo thing).
    the srl file can be opened and edited just like typical nds files so you really shouldn't have that much trouble getting the header that you need from one of them... beware space restrictions. an entire game can cause problems... as the ds wasn't meant for fairly large games to be sent that way.

13. emmanu888

Canada
    you can add 2 new game to the list that can send demo the game are cooking mama the demo file is child_0.srl.

the other one is polarium and the demo file is trial.bin

14. loco365

You can send Nintendo demos. I wonder if Homebrew can be sent, or even specially modified emulators with custom pack roms?

15. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    libnds update anyone?

Maybe in the future...

I think that it really is some kind of encrypted header.

16. loco365

I dunno. If there is a DS Bricker that can use this header, we should be able to solve it. Take a look at a proper file that uses download play and tinker with it's header. It might work.

17. emmanu888

Canada
    i confirm that meteos and electroplankton are working

18. loco365

All demo roms will work. We already know that because they are made for that purpose. Unless you have tried the retail rom and got that.

I went and tested N+ and the Nintendo DS Bios rom. Both failed.

Wasn't there a technique that used download play a long time ago? Perhaps we can find homebrew that utilized that method and test them. I think they'll have a better chance of working.

19. Shiro09

Member Shiro09 AAI2 Localisation Team

Australia
    This sounds interesting, Im going to give it a try.

20. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Wait... if the DS Bricker uses this header, would it be technically possible to DS Download the DS Bricker to other people?