ROM Hack DS Doom 1.0.0 released

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
OK, it seems I do have a v1 of the MiniSD and it works perfect on my other (1GB) card. I noticed some games hang from the 512 too, so I guess it's just a crappy card orso.

It still formats and doesn't find any problems, so I guess I'll just use the 512 for testing and/or GBA games orso.

Anywayz, saving works too, sort of. I can save and load Level 1 and 2 of doom 2, but at 3 it crashes with some mAlloc error (memory allocation, not enough memory orso?). I didn't try any other levels, but did turn my DS off and on. Also, a keyboard would be REALLY swell besides previous mentioned point fully working ;-). Gibberish as a save-filename is rather weird. Maybe another way could be like the ones used in Heretic (I'd really wish it had MP too). It auto names the savefile with level date etc.

Also, multiplayer is really funny. I've tried it with my PC running the server and 1 of the clients ... and the other client was my DS. You might want to pause while connecting, once I connected both at the same time. The server saw them both (client 0 and 1) and just waited.

It isn't really difficult to setup either. Just read the multiplayer and server files. You do need to specify the server and port in the .INI on your flashcard/NDS and offcourse make sure you start the server on that port if you're not using the common one/specify another. Also you might need to route the port to the computer running the server if you're using a router and make sure your firewall doesn't block it if you use one, which you probably do.

All in all: A nice port, runs real fast, but could use alot of fine-tuning. Especially disabling the option menu (as most of the options seem to crash the game if changed) and add some DS specific options instead. Also another approach to the savegames would be nice.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so saving doesnt work just yet on the M3...but my question is this; Does it work the the M3 Lite??

someone else said M3 v2 sucked for homebrew and v1 was awesome.
so all i want to know is if someone with an m3 lite can verify if it works or not. (also hexen, heritic, quake - if those are out yet)

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone been able to get Starwars Doom to run on their DS?
I’m guessing all you would need is the Starwars wad & the graphics
would be all StarWars. But even after I replace the Wad file I still
get the original Doom graphics. Any idea how to get this to work?

SWEDGE2.jpg

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone been able to get Starwars Doom to run on their DS?
I’m guessing all you would need is the Starwars wad & the graphics
would be all StarWars. But even after I replace the Wad file I still
get the original Doom graphics. Any idea how to get this to work?

SWEDGE2.jpg

You could try picking up a Wad editor and just putting in the graphic replacements and level replacements manually.
They used to do that in the ol beginings of the doom days.

Its a little work, but it should work on the DS.
Im guessing it doesnt have extra wad support just yet.

Now, normally Id say go google for a wad editor. But to save you time, theres an old file downlaod of a wad editor on my old SRB2WAD website if you can find it.
Google it, Im surprised its still up too :wtf:

Oh wait
SRB2WAD
There it is xD

You might be better off finding a more up to date wad editor though.

Or you could also google "Wintex" Thats the one I have on my old website anyway.

bm_attar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does doomDS work on M3 or R4? I tried patching the nds file using DLDI, but not matter what I do, I get the error message other users got in previous posts.

Help!!

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

bm_attar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks destructobot. I was actually using the older version. I got he new one, and patched the nds using dldi. Not it gets past the FatLib initialization. It displays the Doom logo on top screen, but it freezes after that. I use kingston 1GB formatted FAT16.

Any clues?

EDIT: Actually I just tried the free doom wad and it worked nicely. I think I was using a bad wad of some sort. Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Damn McDonald's ice cream machine broken