DS #3900: Overlord Minions (Europe)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You got region wrongI love you Hugs4lif3.

QUOTE said:
Meet Giblet, Blaze, Stench, and Zap -- an elite Minion crew who, assisted by minion master Gnarl, get star billing in Overlord Minions. In Overlord Minions, the Overlord commands the Minion team remotely. The Nintendo DS stylus becomes an extension of his evil will and every precise Touch Screen command is the player-as-Overlord directing, commanding and combining minions in battle, pointing and sweeping them to attack enemies and solving puzzles to execute his dastardly plans.

Controlling the Special Farces team of four, players negotiate fiendish levels and take on a huge range of warped enemies to hunt down the Kindred, a cult dedicated to resurrecting the mighty Dragon Kin, a race of humanoid dragon hybrids, determined to replace the Overlord's despotism with their own. Extending the Overlord series’ trademark humor, gameplay focuses on the mischievous physical comedy of the minion’s antics and is delivered in a stylized cartoon visual style.

* Exclusive Overlord Adventure for Nintendo DS: Use the DS Stylus to command and combine your minions in battle and direct them to solve puzzles. Overlord Minions 100% touchscreen control system makes for intuitive, rewarding and accessible gameplay as you direct the mischievously malevolent minions through an unforgettable fantasy world
* Control An Elite Minion Fighting Force: Command a crack squad of minions who’ll take on every order with a devilish smile on their face. Whether they’re going into battle, combining to perform increasingly powerful attacks or solving puzzles, their on-going banter and playful-yet-ferociously-violent nature perfectly compliments the unfolding carnage
* Meet the Elite: Direct four of the most mischievous, malevolent and manic minions hand-picked for this new adventure. Control each minion individually or team them up to solve puzzles and perform more powerful attacks
* A new adventure in the twisted fantasy world of the Overlord: In this new story from award-winning games writer Rhianna Pratchett, the Minions must prevent Silas, head of a new Cult, resurrecting an almighty Dragon and threatening the Overlord’s totalitarianism. Prepare to battle a huge range of new enemies from infected sheep, goats, spiders, paladins, infected dwarves, mutated trolls, scorpions, winged elves and many more to take on
* Playing for laughs: Overlord Minions extends the Overlord series’ trademark humour and plays on the mischievous physical comedy of the minion's antics

Click spoiler tab for video:
Video Games | Overlord: Minions | Debut TrailerXBox 360 | Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii

952374_20090603_screen003.jpg
952374_20090306_screen005.jpg
952374_20090603_screen002.jpg

Reviews have been saying its sort of below average, I hope they are wrong as I really enjoy the series.

First game on PC is great, the Wii one though simplified is a lot of fun and the demo of the second PC game is great. Just hope this adds to the series rather than detract.

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Ya seems to be a bug in google chrome which just selects Japan as it's the first option in the RMC, no matter what region I enter.

Looking forward to this game, actually looks like they put some effort into it. Been playing the X360 game today and it's great, more polished than the first game.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RecklessReaperr said:
So there is no "Overlord", you just control the minions right?
Well I guess the player themselves is the Overlord seeing its the player who tells them what to do.

Either way, it makes sense if Codemasters want to sell it, which I hope they do as there is a lot of adverts on telly here though they only show the "HD" version, they do show that there are Wii & DS games too.

File size is 30MB compressed.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell effin' yeah! Sure, sure...it could suck a big'en, but I've still been pretty psyched for it for some reason.
unsure.gif

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well its not bad, certainly entertaining though nothing really like Overlord at all. I like the dialogue, which makes a change for a DS game.

Controls are 100% touchscreen and very responsive. Touch the screen and thats where the minions go and you swipe if you wanna attack or operate anything.

Kinda feels like a overhead version of The Lost Vikings in a way seeing that you have four different characters and each can do things the other three can't. The puzzles are very easy so far so it wont tax most seasoned gamers. Its supposed to be a very long game, I think I read that there 15+ hours in there which is nice.

It could look better but then it could look a lot worse. The sound is good, music is nice.

Based on a few levels I'd give it 7/10 and I really can't see it being any better, its not an amazing game but its different. Worth a play anyway and I'm sure it'll entertain a lot of folks while they wait for something better.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Meh, it's not bad but it's not great either. The controls are really responsive, only when I have to operate sth it doesn't work like it should. The graphics are good, not great. There's some funny dialog in there (well, depending on your taste in humour). At least it's not as bad as Ghostbusters DS... I'll go and beat it within a few days and I'll see if my opinion changed.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
...Controls are 100% touchscreen and very responsive. Touch the screen and thats where the minions go and you swipe if you wanna attack or operate anything....

Actually, the controls are my main issue so far. I don't mind the all-touch-screen thing -- I loved it in Phantom Hourglass, Dragon Sword and other games -- but I find the controls to be both unresponsive and when I make commands, all too often, I end up accidentally calling up the menu. During that piranha-plant-esque boss battle, I kept directing my minions toward the bottom of the screen and they'd get stuck there with the camera not moving. So far, nothing is causing me to wanna put the game down, but it's not greatness, either. Kinda a bit like Pet Alien with combat. It's a bit dark, though, on my old DS phat.

ibis_87

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Looks like a nice Overlord adaptation for the DS, about as close as you can get on the handheld. The graphics do even keep the style of the original game. Wasnt playing too much but it definately doesnt look like a failure.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay, my opinion changed for the worst. The game is worth a 6 at the most. I've been assraped by 2 enemies in the same mission over and over and I've also had it happen that my Minion got stuck behind a box and I couldn't get him out unless I restarted the mission. The game's as bad as Ghostbusters, if not even worse.

Skatorex

Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's a problem with cinematics. Black screen but sounds ok. And after, freeze, and no choice : reboot.
I have the problem on EZ flash V with 1.9 kernel.

Does it exist a patch, or should i take 2.0 kernel ?
thanks for reply

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk