DS #3107: Prince of Persia: The Fallen King (Europe)

Yidaki

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dib said:
Rayder said:
lachinay said:
are you sure the stylus control is mandatory? I bet it isn't...

I'm about to find out......

Yep, 100% stylus ONLY. NO option for traditional controls AT ALL. Are these programmers really that stupid, or are they under orders to force an unnecessary control scheme on people and will fire any QA person who bitches about it? GAH! It's especially pathetic for left-handed people as they have to cover the screen with their hand to continue to the right.

I can see using the touchscreen (TS) for games like Meteos and the crossword games and such, that makes sense and is an improvement, but to force TS control when traditional controls would have been just fine is just LAME, stupid, suck and FAIL.....all at the same time.

Way to screw up what might have otherwise been a decent game Ubisoft....idiots!
You're nuts. If this had normal controls, it would be a generic platformer and you'd all be complaining about how mediocre it is. Walk down hallways in 2d, attack some bats. Ooooo, we've never seen that before.

The controls are what makes the game, like Kirby Canvas Curse. Anybody here liking one but refusing to give this a chance are hypocrits. The fact is that unlike other games where buttons are clearly superior, like the Spiderman games, this one is clearly designed from the ground up with touch screen in mind rather than attempting to inject them into an existing game.

This is something pretty new for the DS, and you're all too obsessed with faulting it right off to even play it.
Nuts?
How about having the option to use normal controls, like Mario64
smile.gif

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Because button controls are as useless here as they would be in Canvas Curse? You're completely missing the point of the game, and your comparison is _stupid_. Mario 64 was a 3d game developed for a joypad, which they later attempted to tack on touch screen input. This is not. Do you see the difference?

Kusan

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Mario Bros with swords and cartoonish look= EPIC FAIL

Why do you do this to Nintendo, Ubi-Soft?
Imagine's saga and now this? I'd rather play Aladdin on my SNES, WTF...this should be called: Imagine: Prince of Persia since this is a total waste of time.

Played it, it sucks...badly...

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Love all these touch screen zealots in here whining about people dissing the controls when the game would have been not only better, but more comfortable to play if it could be played with the buttons. Touch screen control + standard platformer != good thing.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
Because button controls are as useless here as they would be in Canvas Curse? You're completely missing the point of the game, and your comparison is _stupid_. Mario 64 was a 3d game developed for a joypad, which they later attempted to tack on touch screen input. This is not. Do you see the difference?

Prince of Persia was a 2D game developed for a joystick/keyboard. Yes I'm talking about the 80s game which is a different game, but it's very similar. They took the ideas from a game with traditional controls and retrofitted in force-fed touch-screen controls. This game would be completely playable with the pad(whereas Canvas Curse would be impossible), so his comparison is completely appropriate.

While this game probably would have been kinda meh either way the touch screen controls make it a total turkey. They are sluggish and inexact.

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
I tend to agree with the majority on here.

While I appreciate the game - design etc., the controls are the main reason that put me off it.
I have tried it, and as I too am left-handed, it is not only awkward to see -- even with a extendable stylus - but the controls are clunky - especially going up the spiked walls. Also when you want him on a ledge he tends to roll under it.

Touch screen controls are not made for platformers or games with intense swiping - it is also why my screen is buggered cos of the controls in Z:PH - it literally scraped the screen doing the quick circular motion.

Touch screen controls are good for games like Jewel Quest type or Point and Click games
but leave platformers with traditional control PLEASE!!!!

I am fed up with designers spending years creating a game and then to fuck it up one way or another

I don't normally swear but I am seriously pissed off!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif
hate2.gif

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have given it a fair shake and I guess I fall into the 'it'd be better with dpad controls'

I don't really see any merit in the 'innovation for innovation's sake' arguments in this thread, but that doesn't matter.

What does matter to any platformer is precision response. You don't get that with touch screen controls. No arguments.

Especially in a game like POP where the difference between performing one move and another is dicey at best.

Side scrolling platformer POP's history is all about mastering controls and not making critical mistakes. This one isn't. When you have to dumb down the experience to allow for 'innovative' controls, the game suffers.

If developers are proud of their new input scheme, by all means put it front and center but have the stones to offer (YES IT'S TRADITIONAL WTF ARE YOU SMOKING) dpad + button controls.

Hack most welcome and eagerly anticipated. The more old school this gets the better (imo).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Will have to get it and test it out.
If it is bad though I am going to be disappointed as the GBA prince of persia was one of the best platformers if not games I ever played.

If it is controls that are making it bad I will be busting out the disassembler, alas I lack a copy of the developers no$gba and desmume is not quite up there on the debugging front yet.

iPikachu

C3's personal flamebot and fail artist
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
if i remember:
imagine=fail
animalz=fail
imagine +animalz belong to ubisoft
therefore, ubisoft and all its games =fail

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
Porkdish said:
I have given it a fair shake and I guess I fall into the 'it'd be better with dpad controls'

I don't really see any merit in the 'innovation for innovation's sake' arguments in this thread, but that doesn't matter.

What does matter to any platformer is precision response. You don't get that with touch screen controls. No arguments.

Especially in a game like POP where the difference between performing one move and another is dicey at best.

Side scrolling platformer POP's history is all about mastering controls and not making critical mistakes. This one isn't. When you have to dumb down the experience to allow for 'innovative' controls, the game suffers.
After playing it for an hour or so, I have to agree. It strikes me as a game that mostly plays itself - the controls are so inaccurate that it can't be made too hard, so the game quickly regresses to double-tapping wildly while the game progresses on its own. I like that they tried to do something that actually fit the DS in terms of graphics (unlike the fubar Assassin's Creed), but touching for the sake of touching does not for a very good game make.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I played 3 Levels now and I have to say that I think it is great.

I remember many people who said, that the stylus control for EXIT wasn`t good but I thought, that it is really not that good to go with your d-pad to your sub character to choose him and then control him where he should go. So IMO the d-pad controls were a bit slow (I haven`t play the PSP version, so I was open for both controls)... With the Stylus control you do that in 5 seconds: tap him to get control of him and tap where he should go. You could do so many things simultaneously...

So that`s why I think one should not discriminate stylus controls just because it is traditionally not meant to have stylus controls...

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iPikachu said:
if i remember:
imagine=fail
animalz=fail
imagine +animalz belong to ubisoft
therefore, ubisoft and all its games =fail

If I remember:

Rayman 2: The Great Escape = Awesome platformer
Beyond Good and Evil = Awesome action adventure
Rayman 2 + Beyond Good and Evil belong to Ubisoft
Therefore, Ubisoft and all its games = Awesome

rolleyes.gif

Of course, they make suck; every gaming company, pretty much, has their suck. But not everything Ubi makes equals "fail."

Yeah, after playing more of this game (on the third world, not level) I can see its flaws pretty clearly. Still worth playing? You bet. The masterpiece PoP game on DS some of us were perhaps hoping for? Easily not. Are the stylus-only controls an issue? Only if you make it one. Otherwise, the controls work pretty good. But even Phantom Hourglass had its issues.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devil's Advocate Time

irpacynot said:
Of course, they make suck; every gaming company, pretty much, has their suck. But not everything Ubi makes equals "fail."

Blizzard?
wink.gif

Really though, i don't know what to think of this. Phantom Hourglass had the forced touch, and i half enjoyed it... as a Zelda game... but didn't enjoy it BECAUSE of the touch screen. Also, Star Fox. I BOUGHT that game upon release, and played through most of it, but stopped--- again because of the touch screen. This, well... i'll check it out, but i am opposed to non touch-screen games being made into full on TS games (Even games like LoZ:PH, just because it could have been so much better if only it weren't touch screen ONLY).

Yes, i know, to each his own. But thats my side, and i REALLY played those games. And i never finished them, because of the controls.

Also, i'm an oldschool gamer, and i can't get into any of the FF games starting at 7 and moving newer... can't get into the 3d Zelda games either. If it was 2d, i can't enjoy the 3d remakes/sequels... and i've tried. Mario is the same way. But thats me.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
the imagine and animalz might not be good that is because those game cater for little kids~!

however after playing this game briefly.. i think is still fairly acceptable~!
well nothing so great about it and is just another action game that fully utilise the stylus
smile.gif

GreatFox

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
WildWon said:
irpacynot said:

Blizzard?
wink.gif

Just one word: opinions.
There are lots of people who hate World of Warcraft and think its fail.
Luckily, I am open minded.

So, we can think every company has some degrees of fail.

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm two levels plus the tutorial in so far...

If this game had d-pad control, it'd be the easiest platform/action game ever. With the stylus control, it turns into a bit more of an action puzzler than platformer.

I don't mind it, but I wouldn't pay for the full thing. I definitely like it more than Assassin's Creed or Ninja Gaiden DS.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GreatFox said:
WildWon said:
irpacynot said:

Blizzard?
wink.gif

Just one word: opinions.
There are lots of people who hate World of Warcraft and think its fail.
Luckily, I am open minded.

So, we can think every company has some degrees of fail.

Erm... but thats wrong. When a game is fail, it is a horrid game. Blizzard has never made a shitty game. Yes, there are opinions, but even if you get 1million people saying that WoW is shit, tell that to the other... what 6 million plus that are completely hooked on it? As well, of the games they've done, i've never heard "Well, that was a shitty game!" when Blizzard is attached
lecture.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: there is a panda in chat, that is true +1