Dreamcast & Xbox

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by painless, Feb 9, 2012.

Feb 9, 2012

Dreamcast & Xbox by painless at 7:40 PM (1,229 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. painless
    OP

Member painless GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wouldn't it be wonderful to have both Dreamcast and Xbox emulators for the Wii! I wonder if the Wii hardware is powerful enough to run said emulators? Anyway, I thought I would start a thread on this topic here and see what happens (if anything).

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    The answer is "No, the Wii hardware isn't powerful enough, it's barely a step from the XBox hardware". I can imagine some buggy DC emulation that wouldn't ammount to much, but definatelly not the XBox.

3. goncalodoom

Member goncalodoom GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    The Xbox cant even be emulated properly on a PC,its impossible to run an Xbox emulator on wii,same goes for the Dreamcast...wii is too weak

4. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    That's because it's so similar to a Windows architecture. Developers rather then emulating the machine chose to try and convert the executables into standard Win32 applications which worked with dodgy effects. I'm pretty sure an emulator will be available at some point, the hardware's "here".

5. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Sounds way more troublesome to me lol.

6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    You got me wondering about your ability to perceive reality as it is. Your question is like wondering if you could use your plate of mashed potatoes to build a real bridge: it would indeed be wonderful, but it seriously lacks even the basic understanding of what you're looking at.

7. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    It actually wasn't. The XBox OS itself was based off Windows 2000, there weren't all that many differences between its structure and a structure of an ordinary PC. Thing was, an "emulator" like this would have to equip the application with some extra resources to allow it to run natively on hardware configurations that are different then that of the XBox.

Naturally effects of this process varied and I believe this approach was deprecated.

8. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    And yet they still have to get a fully working one up.

9. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Well, Cxbx is still in active development, so we'll get one eventually. ;)

10. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    There is no way the Wii could emulate the Xbox, a console needs to be many many times more powerful and shit the Xbox was more advanced in areas like GPU, CPU, sound and it had a 32bit colour palette where the Wii had 24bit palette!

I read an interview a few years ago where Treyarch really put a lot of work into its Wii port of Call of Duty 3, they set out to get it near to the Xbox version as possible but had to really downgrade parts of it as the Wii just couldn't possibly cut it.

11. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Wii is basically an Xbox with slightly more RAM.

So unless you're a wizard and can reprogram the entire Wii to be an Xbox it is not possible.
    Not even in a 1000 years.

12. painless
    OP

Member painless GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Upon first reading your post I had it in mind to ignore you but as I thought about it I realized that my perception of reality is indeed different than yours. If people were to live their lives (as most do) within the confines of what others tell them is possible and what is not, this world would indeed be a rather dull and drab place to reside. Fortunantly there are people like me who perceive reality outside the confines of what many would consider normal physics and matter. There was a time in the not too distant past when people said not to use a fat32 partition for Wii backups, rather to use a WBFS partition. Now, fat32 is the norm. I could easily site several other examples but that would be like watching someone build a bridge out of mashed potatoes now would't it. :)

13. smash_brew

Member smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

United States
    i hate to reply to this month old thread but i felt like throwing in my 2 cents. while i know that an xbox emu isnt possible, dc emulation on the wii could very well happen. Arikado was working on a nullDc port a couple years back. He had mentioned that while it may take a while he would have a playable dc emu working on the wii eventually. Clearly he has abandoned said project but i remember him being very adamant that the wii could handle running dc games. perhaps someone out there may be up to the challenge of finishing his port or starting one of their own. i dont think that he ever released any betas or even a poc but he is reputable in the world of emulation. Perhaps he may even pick it up again one day. whish i could find the thread where he brought it up, but alas i cannot.

14. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    maybe in the wiiu it will be