WIP DragonInjector - Game Cart Payload Injector (Trinket M0 Clone)

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by MatinatorX, Jul 18, 2018.

1. MatinatorX
    OP

MatinatorX GBAtemp Regular

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    Hey everyone! I want to share a project I'm currently working on - a payload injector with the form factor of a Switch game cart!

As I seem to always forget to bring my phone, cable, OTG adapter or dongle with me, and I'm not a big fan of AutoRCM, I started thinking - wouldn't it be great if I could just store my jig and dongle inside my Switch? I don't really like the idea of opening my switch and soldering to it for warranty/resale reasons, and my card slot is always empty because, well, we live in the age of digital. Thus, DragonInjector was born.

DragonGreen_Small2.

So, what is it and what can it do?
    - Stores your payload dongle inside your Switch game cart slot.
    - Always have your RCM jig on you as it's stored in the cap.
    - Inject your payload with a USB Type C connector so no adapters are needed.
    - CR1216 power source good for 250+ injections.
    - Forget it even exists until you need it.
    - Easy access to the SWD and SWC pads so you can reprogram it for whatever you like, including non-Switch stuff.
    - Switch between multiple payloads with the press of a button.
    - Uses the same ATSAMD21 MCU as the Trinket M0.
    - Open source upon release! (Creative Commons Share-Alike 4.0 License)

How far along is the project?
    The latest prototype PCBs will be delivered this week. If the prototype works well, I'll post a video of it in action and get tester units sent out. (All tester positions are filled, sorry!)

When and where can I get one?
    Once they're ready, I'll be selling them on tindie. A link to the product page will be put in my signature, and I'll make a post in the selling forums. I'll let everyone know when that happens. :)

Is there a place we can chat about the project or ask questions that aren't fit for this development thread?
    Yes! There's a Discord server where I post progress, renders, photos, and other things quite often. You can find it here:

[​IMG]

Shipping to my country is expensive. Can I arrange combined shipping with other buyers?
    Channels have been added to the Discord server to help organize this. If your country is not listed, @ me there and I'll add it.

Thanks to everyone for all the support so far! I've honestly been blown away by the amount of interest this project has gotten since I first posted here and can't wait to deliver something great for you all. :D

render.

Last edited by MatinatorX, Nov 30, 2018
  2. YigglyPoof

YigglyPoof GBAtemp Regular

Oct 8, 2016
    United States
    Cool idea! If I were you, I would get rid of the jig and just install AutoRCM, it would streamline everything.

OP's Pictures

Last edited by YigglyPoof, Jul 18, 2018
  3. MatinatorX
    OP

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    Jig is optional. AutoRCM is still an option, you can always omit the funny shaped cap and print one that's more to your liking.

Some people have reported problems with AutoRCM and of course you never know what the future holds for the Switch so I like having my options open.

Last edited by MatinatorX, Jul 18, 2018
    NovaPhoenix, astrocapsule and oleg77 like this.
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That is a really cool idea. Even for those that have retail games, most of us use a pouch and those usually hold 10 or more games, so the dongle with jig would fit in one of the slots designated for cartridges. Also, it would be the smallest dongle/jig yet if you can accomplish it.

5. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I break all the warranties

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    I think Having the jig is a good idea, cause not everyone wants to brick their switch ;P

Quicksilver88 likes this.
  6. hack_my_switch

hack_my_switch Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2018
    United States
    This is a really cool idea. I can't wait to see your progress.

7. MatinatorX
    OP

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    I appreciate all the early feedback! Pictures are now in the second post - thanks YigglyPoof!

8. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I break all the warranties

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    D A M N S O N.

Pluupy, Majortaylor and MatinatorX like this.
  9. Soluble

Soluble GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 12, 2017
    Looks pretty cool. Good luck

10. Summitatem

Summitatem Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    Looking forward to seeing the progress on this!

11. JohnnyLive

JohnnyLive Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2018
    United States
    philadelphia pa
    nice bro i would buy one so fast lol

12. rrocha

rrocha Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2016
    Portugal
    First of all, great ideia!! Would be also great if we can understand if the cartridge pins are powered while in RCM. This way, the battery wouldn't be needed at all as it could fetch the 3.3V and GND straight from the cart rails.

for reference:
    http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Gamecard

13. SexiestManAlive

SexiestManAlive GBAtemp Expert

Apr 18, 2016
    United States
    I cant wait until this is finished, amazing idea

14. Thetoto

Thetoto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2018
    France
    So we can inject a payload through the cartrige slot ?

15. Thetoto
    This message by Thetoto has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 5, 2018, Reason: Dupe.
    Jul 18, 2018
  16. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    I think y'all are misinterpreting the post. OP's not trying to send the payload through the cartridge slot (at least not yet, that would be an awesome idea if we could!), this is just a dongle that is small enough that it would fit in a Switch game cartridge.

And I think it looks amazing. I would buy this over TX's dongle any day! Sign me up! I want to pre-order!

Thetoto likes this.
  17. rrocha

rrocha Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2016
    Portugal
    Yes, I know that and I think you misunderstood my post: until now, you need a 3V power supply for the trinket. In my case I did it with a CR2032 and OP is suggesting using a CR1616 which is half the size. What I'm suggesting is to use the GND and 3.3V lines from the cartridge slot (in case it still delivers 3.3V while in RCM) to power up the trinket. This way, you'd just insert the trinket cartridge, connect usb to it, and voilá!! :)

18. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Oh that does sound like a good idea! You're right, when I first read your post I assumed when you were talking about powering it from the cartridge rails that you were thinking of sending the payload through the cartridge slot. This makes much more sense.

19. MatinatorX
    OP

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    I thought about this while I was designing the board, but ultimately decided against it as you would end up needing a cable to go from the injector to the switch USB port (sadly the game cart socket does not break out the USB pins, thus payload injection this way will sadly never happen...) and that cable would never be able to fit into the space freed up by the removal of the battery. The cable would also have to have a non-standard end on the DragonInjector side, as there's no way you could fit the end of a USB cable inside the top of the card slot to plug it in. If you have to remember to bring that cable with you, you might as well opt for one of the larger injector solutions and just bring that.

However, the idea isn't a complete dead-end. I've been doing a lot of research on super capacitors lately, especially after learning the SX dongle uses them. We already know the game card slot has pins for +3.3v and GND. If the slot is energized when the Switch is in RCM mode and it can supply enough current then this would be an ideal excuse to swap the battery for a supercap. Technically, having no power to the game card when in RCM is still plausible, but only for jig users; with AutoRCM, a depleted DragonInjector would leave you with no way to charge it and a Switch that can't boot without a working dongle.

There's unfortunately no public datasheet for the flash chip Nintendo uses for Switch game carts, but a quick search on the manufacturer's site for high capacity flash chips (8gbit or higher) yeilds only 3 models, all of which can pull as much as 30mA. I'd be really surprised if the Switch game carts use less, especially since the chip they're using is 40% larger than the other ones I mentioned above.

Based on some quick fuzzy math, 20-30mA would be enough to charge the cap and power the trinket if I used a 3.3v 0.22F supercap. With sleep mode drawing a paltry 90uA it should last a few days out of the slot if you forget to turn the power off and charging would be under an hour. When I get some more time, I'll rig something up to test for voltage in the card slot during RCM, and if that works I'll see how much current a Switch cart pulls. Currently slimming down the board even more since, after getting my hands on a real cart, I found out the dimensions are actually 21.4mm x 31.2mm x 3.4mm.

I've been thinking about this a bit too - what to do if there's lots of interest, since the feedback so far has been really positive (thanks everyone!). I know for sure I want to release the gerbers and parts list and maybe the model too for free so that anyone who wants to can make their own. That said, while it's far too early to plan anything, I get that SMD soldering is a rare hobby. So, if this thing turns out well enough I'm open to making more to sell to the community. If I remember right, there's a license for this kind of stuff that allows me to give out the designs and stuff so you can use them for anything short of selling them yourself.

Last edited by MatinatorX, Jul 19, 2018
  20. MatinatorX
    OP

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    Main post updated! Finally finished squishing everything down to fit the new dimensions and got the enclosure modeled. New boards on their way, will order the case bits from Shapeways this week.

21. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
    day one

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

oh
    day one anyways

Last edited by Asia81, Jul 23, 2018
  22. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Dang OP that's super smart! You should try to see if you can mass produce these. I bet you'd make the muns. It is so convenient to have it on-hand in the cartridge slot.

23. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
    :yay:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Real Jdbye likes this.