1. 10,729

Front-page
    header.jpg

If, for whatever reason, you ever wanted to purchase the the original digital release of Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, you will no longer be able to do so. Square Enix has delisted the game on both Steam and the PlayStation Store, following the release of Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition. The new version, which initially was a timed Nintendo Switch exclusive, was ported over to the new platforms on December 4th, and added much more content, including a 2D mode, battle speed multipliers, an orchestrated version of the soundtrack, and more. While this seems like a sensible choice, the original Dragon Quest XI features better textures and graphical detail, as it wasn't designed for the lower-spec'd Nintendo Switch like the Definitive Edition was.

On the left is the PC version of Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition, while the image on the right is the same area in the 2018 PC release of Dragon Quest XI.

El6X7huWMAEJXvf.jpg El6X7idXUAAHbkz.jpg
    For those bothered by the changes, there is a possibility of modders re-adding the old graphics to the PC version, or you can simply play the physical release of the original on PlayStation 4.

:arrow: Source

raxadian, HylianBran, cearp and 6 others like this.
  2. Discussion (83 replies)

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    why the hell would you even want the original anymore? the DE is just so much better in every way it fixes a lot of flaws the original had as well as add new stuff. so what if it's switch graphics it's still worth it you'd be mad to want the old version. also the 4k version of the original on the ps4 was fucking terrible it had so many graphical flaws like when you were running through the grass because it was fake 4K :P

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Dec 5, 2020
    Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  4. Scarlet

Scarlet Pretty Pretty Princess
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Completely aside from the topic of the thread, but I always love the smiley faces appearing next to the dead bodies.

upload_2020-12-5_15-39-56.png

He's just so chirpy.

phreaksho, Seliph, eriol33 and 12 others like this.
  5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    That's fucking dumb. Extra content is nice and all, and I don't really care about the gimped graphics that much (though it certainly looks like ass vs the original IMO), but delisting the old version? C'mon now Squeenix, you literally could've just slashed the price and made some extra cash off people who can't afford whatever they're charging for the "DE"/don't care.

6. McPringles

McPringles Member
    Newcomer

United States
    There's a pinned thread in the Steam forums for XI S that explains to users how to close the game. That pretty much says all that needs to be said about the new port.

felix.200, Ricken, Brigand and 3 others like this.
  7. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    DON'T PANIC GUYS, you can still re-download the game from game list.

sarkwalvein likes this.
  8. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Seems not that weird to me. (Must be overlooking something for this to be that news worthy I guess?)
    Definitive edition SHOULD be better then OG edition right?

9. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    Yes but it's literally a port of the Switch version so the graphics are worse than the OG one.

10. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Ahh that explains a lot ... thanks for clearing that up!

felix.200 and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  11. RedoLane

RedoLane Unemployed Punmaster

Israel
    So they're releasing the Switch version, slapping a 40$ price on it, and then delist the original version,
    When they could INSTEAD just release the Definitive Edition as an upgrade, for a slightly cheaper price, for those who own the original version.
    My problem is that I have to buy the same game twice(first time when the OG version was the only choice) in order to fully experience all the content that was at the time, either japan-version exclusive, or simply didn't exist.
    Normally that content should be offered as DLC.

I've been a loyal DQ fan for years, but looks like this is the end of the road.

12. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    And why should ppl buy the game twice? I already paid the original in full price Hope this shit gets cracked. Only bright side is we don't need to use the Orchestra mod for the original anymore.

13. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    Why would you need to buy it again anyway?

14. MasterJ360

United States
    B/c its a separate game. The original is nothing more than a blueprint now

Last edited by MasterJ360, Dec 5, 2020
  15. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner The Edge of the Soul

United States
    IF you bought it first.

If not, well...you know...

16. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    I got the original and I'm not planning to buy the definitive edition, I'm good with the "blueprint".

PS: I guess the same could be said about Persona 5 / Royal.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Dec 5, 2020
    Scott_pilgrim and Silent_Gunner like this.
  17. MasterJ360

United States
    Same here im patient even tho it has DRM I'll just wait it out. Or deal with the switch version. Just prefer PC b/c of mods support

18. DJPlace

DJPlace the hater of something i can't recall.

United States
    extra content's for worse graphic's? that is the stupidest market gimmick i have ever seen in my life.

atoxique, Scott_pilgrim and felix.200 like this.
  19. Mythical

Mythical GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I'm just mad owners of the original don't even get a discount of any sort

20. alexander1970

alexander1970 Thank you,Santa.

Austria
    That is that kind of Behavior I do not like and thats it for me...no more Dragon Quest for me....
    Instead of giving Owners the Chance/Option for an cheap Upgrade (from the Option to make an DLC I do not speak at all..) ,the Game is "vanished" and you can buy it again,because of the additional Content...that is simply :shit:.

What a Shame,I like the Dragon Quest Series,but with this Behavior - Thank you,I am no longer a Fan of it and I will no longer play it....they do not need to be surprised if the Game is maybe now mostly downloaded "illegally"....

Usually I do not say this,but now - fuck.gif Square Enix,I will never buy a Game from you.

If someone can help me please:
    Is there a Way to give my Dragon Quest XI Game from Steam to another User ? Maybe someone have now more Fun with this Game.

Thank you.:)

felix.200 likes this.
  21. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

It's not the scummiest de-listing Squeenix has done. That still goes to Final Fantasy Dissidia Duodecim mysteriously vanishing from the PS Vita storefront the day Dissidia NT launched. And of course now that you can't buy older games on the website any more, you'd need a PSP to access the PSP store (assuming that's still a thing), buy it, and then download it onto your Vita. The saddest part is that Duodecim is a far better value prospect than NT. More depth, characters, an actual plot, and it's only 8 quid. No wonder they didn't want people knowing that still existed, it blows NT out of the water.

atoxique and felix.200 like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Definitive, following, delisted