Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Yep, as the title says, the Dragon Quest IV remake for the DS sold 360.000 copies just on it's first day in Japan.. and there's yest DQ V and VI remakes to come.. I should have bought some Square-Enix stocks..

And this is a remake! Imagine what will happen when DQ IX is out!

well.. source: http://www.jeux-france.com/news22885_drago...e-au-japon.html

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Insane amount of copies were sold 17 years ago when this was on the NES. There were early reports of this selling out before it had even gone on sale. Switching the series to the DS is the best decision they've ever made! Doubt the same will happen when it comes out over here but it'll do better than most RPG games.

RPG games seem to be the only "hardcore" genre that sells really well, even Mario Galaxy is being surpassed by the sales of Mario Party DS!

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In other news, Mario vs Sonic at the Olympic Games sold only 15,000 on it's first day in Japan.

But I'll defiantly play this when it hits American shores. I've never played any of the Dragon Quest main games. I don't need to play 1-3 first do I? I think it's like Final Fantasy from what I hear about continuity.

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In other news, Mario vs Sonic at the Olympic Games sold only 15,000 on it's first day in Japan.

But I'll defiantly play this when it hits American shores. I've never played any of the Dragon Quest main games. I don't need to play 1-3 first do I? I think it's like Final Fantasy from what I hear about continuity.

there all seperate stories there not connected

1 and 2 were good stories 3 sucked lol

i remember 4 not having a good story either :-(

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I still don't see how they expected it to sell any good. While it may have Mario and Sonic in one game, the olympics stuff totally kills it.
Sonic is dying in Japan, Sonic Rush Adventure sold very poorly. I loved Sega boasting that it will do 4 million! No idea why it needed the license, the Olympics aren't on for ages. Just call it Sonic Vs Mario: Summer Games or something. Would have cost less to make.

The DS version should do better though.

engruzii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
well that not surprising for me at least DQ games always sells high even better than FF (DQVIII sold more than 5 million copies)

plus imo DQ is the best RPG when it comes to gameplay i like it even better than FF.

DQ is all about gameplay nothing can beat it when it comes to gameplay
smile.gif

jayminer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've never played any of the Dragon Quest main games. I don't need to play 1-3 first do I? I think it's like Final Fantasy from what I hear about continuity.

Well, 1 - 3 are sort of connected. I really enjoyed having played the first two when playing the third. DQ4 is the first game in the Zenithia-triology, and they are more separated than the first three. All games can be played completely seperately though, it's just that you'll recognize stuff from the other games which I personally really like, like visiting old places and stuff. and things. and crap.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Full weekly top 10:

01. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV (Square-Enix) - 597,000 / NEW
02. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami) - 294,000 / NEW
03. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami) - 141,000 / NEW
04. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo) - 110,000 / 460,000
05. [PS2] Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (Square-Enix) - 68,000 / NEW
06. [WII] Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) - 63,000 / NEW
07. [NDS] Dinosaur King: The Seven Fragments (Sega) - 57,000 / NEW
08. [NDS] Mega Man Star Force 2: Berserk × Shinobi (Capcom) - 37,000 / NEW
09. [NDS] Mega Man Star Force 2: Berserk × Dinosaur (Capcom) - 37,000 / NEW
10. [PS2] Pachinko Assassin III: Iron Pachi-Chonmage 13 (Hackberry) - 36,000 / NEW

Amazingly Mario Party has sold a lot more than Mario Galaxy despite reviews.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying