DQIX Gameplay Discussion

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by GeekyGuy, Jul 11, 2010.

Jul 11, 2010

DQIX Gameplay Discussion by GeekyGuy at 5:24 PM (29,747 Views / 0 Likes) 181 replies

1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    There are obviously many threads related to Dragon Quest IX. We've got one dedicated to bugs, one for what cards it currently works on, and of course, the release thread, which quickly devolved into a discussion about AP and lag issues. But I think some folks -- who have been waiting for this game for several years now -- would actually like to focus on the gameplay of DQIX. So, here it is. My inspiration for creating the thread isn't born from a need to boost my post count, either. There are things I would like to know myself, so let me kick this off by asking:

1. How do you initiate Tag Mode?
    2. Where do you go to change your class?

I'm about seven or eight hours in, but I still haven't stumbled onto these elements of the game.

Thanks and enjoy!

EDIT: Just want to add this link for folks having trouble locating grottos in their game. Enjoy!

http://www.shinetworks.net/cgi-bin/img-up/...49904637011.png

2. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    would be nice with a faq on how to unlock all extra classes

3. quezcotl

Member quezcotl GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    You change your class later by defeating a "boss" (in the main story) and later by talking to him when he goes "back" (dont wanna spoil). you can't miss this.

However, to change class to for ex Paladin,RangerGladiator and others you need to complete unique quest by a quest giver, so far I only Unlocked one class and it was the Ranger. It was to kill 3 birds by poison, which was easy, just take defend on party and let your thief use his "posion attack ability".

So my party now is...

MC- Ministrel
    Priest
    Mage
    Ranger with bow. (previously Thief)

4. manoelpdb

Newcomer manoelpdb Advanced Member

Brazil
    I don't like to spoil anything so I'll try to answer the best way to avoid that. Basically your questions will be answered while you play the main story of the game. Just keep playing the main story and Tage Mode and Change Class options will be "unlocked". You don't need to worry because they are not side-quests stuff.

5. CrimzonEyed

Japan
    what skills do a Ministrel have? weapons? skills?

6. PeregrinFig

Member PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

United States
    They can do a lot of things, just not that well. They can equip swords, fans, and whips, but with swords they're nowhere near as strong as warriors, armamentalists, etc. I never tried fans or whips, but they give less attack so I'd expect them to be less effective. Minstrels also learn some healing spells like Heal and Zing, and some offense spells like Frizz and Crack. Basically, they're not the toughest class you can get, but they're highly versatile.

7. CrimzonEyed

Japan
    can someone give me some info on all the classes?
    Weapon of choice
    skills
    armor
    and general info.

It's my first dragon quest gameplay [​IMG]

8. PeregrinFig

Member PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

United States
    There are quite a few classes, but here are the ones I've used:

I already described Minstrel.

Warriors have high HP, can equip a lot of great armor that no one else can use (making them amazing tanks, with most enemies hitting them for 1 hp if they're equipped properly), and they have a huge strength stat and can use swords, spears, and knives, but no magic stats and low MP. Of course, they rarely use MP anyway. They have very low agility, but this can be countered with gear like agility rings and Mercury's bandana. If you stocked up on items, 4 warriors could probably make a very effective party.

Priests primarily are healers. They can equip decent armor, but still will be often behind on defence thanks to their somewhat low resilience stat. They have moderately high agility, so they strike fast. Their strength is decent, and they can use spears, wands, and staves. Their attack is better than a mage's, but a warrior and minstrel will probably both be better at attacking. Their true strength lies in their high Magical Mending and MP, and abundance of healing spells. You want a Priest in your party.

The Mage has pathetic physical stats. Low HP, resilience, and strength. He also has limited armor choices, meaning his defence will always be lower than the rest of your party. They can equip wands, knives and whips, but with such low strength, I recommend a wand for MP absorption. They have high agility and will very often strike first, plus they have a huge MP and Magical Might stat. Mages can be a little harder to protect than your other classes, but they make up for this with strong magical spells that hit multiple targets, plus useful buffs and debuffs like Acceleratle and Sap.

The Armamentalist is like a hybrid between warrior and mage. They have no offensive or healing spells, but they can use a large variety of buffs and debuffs like Kasap, Acceleratle, Decceleratle, Dazzle, etc. They can also use the Fource to raise a party member's attack and defence and give their attacks an elemental affinity. Armamentalists are actually very useful to have around, as they can use the mage's buffs and debuffs, but their physical power is almost as high as a warrior's, and they can use swords, bows, and wands. Use wands to absorb MP (Their MP is somewhat low) if you're only going to use their buffing and debuffing spells, or a sword if you want attack power. They have a nice selection of armor, and will often be up there with your warrior in terms of defence. However, their agility is somewhat low, and they will often be the last or second-to-last to go. Acceleratle counters this easily.

I haven't used any other classes yet.

9. Zekolot

Newcomer Zekolot Member

United States
    Are there any easy ways to unlock Armamentalist? I've been running around Qurantomb and I can't seem to find a metal slime that will let me kill it [​IMG]

10. Skorch

Newcomer Skorch Member

Canada
    You could probably use a code to unlock them, other than that you just need to do the quest. And not only do you need to kill it, the person who cast wizard ward has to be the one who got the killing blow on it.

I've got 4 classes unlocked, So far my party is:

Mage (Hero) - Probably gonna change to Sage once unlocked
    Priest (with a bit into Paladin) - Probably make them into sage (or at least temporary) once I unlock it
    Gladiator (was warrior before class change)
    Entertainer - Might make it into a Super Star, not sure

100 Tension + Oomph + Clap Trap = HOLY SHIT

My gladiator (lv 22) 1 shot a boss (1500 damage exactly) doing that. The boss at the snowy boarding school in the north to be exact.

11. Leamonde.Halcyon

Member Leamonde.Halcyon 6x9=42

United States
    I like my main char. as a minstrel. I haven't gotten to where I can change my characters classes yet, but my party so far:

Hero: Minstrel wielding whips
    2nd: Mage wielding wands
    3rd: Priest wielding spears
    4th: Warrior wielding swords

12. noahhaon

Newcomer noahhaon Member

United States
    where do i find the online shop? or doesnt the shop work in the rom? (xenom)

13. czekers

Newcomer czekers Advanced Member

Poland
    online shop is in Storwind's Inn, you have to talk to the lady standing near stairs.

Can anyone describe me thief? Currently my team is
    MC - thief
    Monk (i don'r reallly remember the name"
    WIzard
    Priest

TBH, thief doesn't have any good casts or abilities, nor he's weaker than Warrior and Monk. So, propably I'll change him to Ranger
    Same about Wizard - his attacks are worse than Monk's, will change him to gladiator...

PS Where can I find metal slimes?

14. XLarge

Member XLarge GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    This game is really fun. But the main quest is kind of repetitive. You go to a new city, find out their problem. Raid a dungeon, kill the boss. Problem solved. Backstory gets finished. You go to another city.

15. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Welcome to the world of Dragon Quest. Nah, you're right. I mean, that's pretty much DQ in a nutshell, and you either dig that sort of thing or you don't. That being said, the story elements that color the gameplay are quite varied and deep. That's what, for me, makes these games so engrossing. Each of the little segments you mentioned play out like episodes of a TV series. The formula is always the same, but if you dig the formula, the vignettes are very entertaining. There's also a ton of stuff to break things up with -- alchemy, vocation training, side quests, online shopping.

16. pitman

Member pitman Addicted to Magical Girls

Israel
    That is basically 80% of JRPGs, but the story is nice although sometime predictable (*cough* *cough*) and the gameplay is fun.

Can any one list the attributes and what they represent ?

17. NDStemp

Member NDStemp GBAtemp?! No! NDStemp

Canada
    Uh..I just beat the game. Can someone tell me what's new in post game?

18. pitman

Member pitman Addicted to Magical Girls

Israel
    I know that there are downloadable quests which are given every week(?) (or use a save editor to unlock them), other than that I have no I idea.

19. isamux

Member isamux Advanced Member

Japan
    I found this on another website and I thought it was very helpful: (taken directly from the site, it was quoted from Mr. Arcaeris) Again, NOT me who wrote this, just reposting.
    ---
    Some generally useful tips are that everyone should get 12 points in Monk/Fighter for tameru/BuildUp so they can increase their tension. Also, 100 points in Sage class skill for the -25% MP and +60 MP are rad.

I'll tell you the best classes or best party composition, if you care so much about min/maxing. If you don't want to know, don't mouse over this.

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    ---

Anyone else with any map geared builds?

20. gamefreak94

Member gamefreak94 GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster

United States
    Just met this fainted guy on dragonquest when you almost find the sculpture guy, and there is this guy fainted and wants a special herbs. I gave him the herbs and then he says "Thank you and here is your reward". Then poof, the game pauses [​IMG] . What a bitch.