GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are obviously many threads related to Dragon Quest IX. We've got one dedicated to bugs, one for what cards it currently works on, and of course, the release thread, which quickly devolved into a discussion about AP and lag issues. But I think some folks -- who have been waiting for this game for several years now -- would actually like to focus on the gameplay of DQIX. So, here it is. My inspiration for creating the thread isn't born from a need to boost my post count, either. There are things I would like to know myself, so let me kick this off by asking:

1. How do you initiate Tag Mode?
2. Where do you go to change your class?

I'm about seven or eight hours in, but I still haven't stumbled onto these elements of the game.

Thanks and enjoy!

EDIT: Just want to add this link for folks having trouble locating grottos in their game. Enjoy!

http://www.shinetworks.net/cgi-bin/img-up/...49904637011.png

quezcotl

Trophies
XP
Country
You change your class later by defeating a "boss" (in the main story) and later by talking to him when he goes "back" (dont wanna spoil). you can't miss this.

However, to change class to for ex Paladin,RangerGladiator and others you need to complete unique quest by a quest giver, so far I only Unlocked one class and it was the Ranger. It was to kill 3 birds by poison, which was easy, just take defend on party and let your thief use his "posion attack ability".

So my party now is...

MC- Ministrel
Priest
Mage
Ranger with bow. (previously Thief)

manoelpdb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't like to spoil anything so I'll try to answer the best way to avoid that. Basically your questions will be answered while you play the main story of the game. Just keep playing the main story and Tage Mode and Change Class options will be "unlocked". You don't need to worry because they are not side-quests stuff.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CrimzonEyed said:
what skills do a Ministrel have? weapons? skills?

They can do a lot of things, just not that well. They can equip swords, fans, and whips, but with swords they're nowhere near as strong as warriors, armamentalists, etc. I never tried fans or whips, but they give less attack so I'd expect them to be less effective. Minstrels also learn some healing spells like Heal and Zing, and some offense spells like Frizz and Crack. Basically, they're not the toughest class you can get, but they're highly versatile.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
can someone give me some info on all the classes?
Weapon of choice
skills
armor
and general info.

It's my first dragon quest gameplay
tongue.gif

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CrimzonEyed said:
can someone give me some info on all the classes?
Weapon of choice
skills
armor
and general info.

It's my first dragon quest gameplay
tongue.gif

There are quite a few classes, but here are the ones I've used:

I already described Minstrel.

Warriors have high HP, can equip a lot of great armor that no one else can use (making them amazing tanks, with most enemies hitting them for 1 hp if they're equipped properly), and they have a huge strength stat and can use swords, spears, and knives, but no magic stats and low MP. Of course, they rarely use MP anyway. They have very low agility, but this can be countered with gear like agility rings and Mercury's bandana. If you stocked up on items, 4 warriors could probably make a very effective party.

Priests primarily are healers. They can equip decent armor, but still will be often behind on defence thanks to their somewhat low resilience stat. They have moderately high agility, so they strike fast. Their strength is decent, and they can use spears, wands, and staves. Their attack is better than a mage's, but a warrior and minstrel will probably both be better at attacking. Their true strength lies in their high Magical Mending and MP, and abundance of healing spells. You want a Priest in your party.

The Mage has pathetic physical stats. Low HP, resilience, and strength. He also has limited armor choices, meaning his defence will always be lower than the rest of your party. They can equip wands, knives and whips, but with such low strength, I recommend a wand for MP absorption. They have high agility and will very often strike first, plus they have a huge MP and Magical Might stat. Mages can be a little harder to protect than your other classes, but they make up for this with strong magical spells that hit multiple targets, plus useful buffs and debuffs like Acceleratle and Sap.

The Armamentalist is like a hybrid between warrior and mage. They have no offensive or healing spells, but they can use a large variety of buffs and debuffs like Kasap, Acceleratle, Decceleratle, Dazzle, etc. They can also use the Fource to raise a party member's attack and defence and give their attacks an elemental affinity. Armamentalists are actually very useful to have around, as they can use the mage's buffs and debuffs, but their physical power is almost as high as a warrior's, and they can use swords, bows, and wands. Use wands to absorb MP (Their MP is somewhat low) if you're only going to use their buffing and debuffing spells, or a sword if you want attack power. They have a nice selection of armor, and will often be up there with your warrior in terms of defence. However, their agility is somewhat low, and they will often be the last or second-to-last to go. Acceleratle counters this easily.

I haven't used any other classes yet.

Zekolot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any easy ways to unlock Armamentalist? I've been running around Qurantomb and I can't seem to find a metal slime that will let me kill it
frown.gif

Skorch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Zekolot said:
Are there any easy ways to unlock Armamentalist? I've been running around Qurantomb and I can't seem to find a metal slime that will let me kill it
frown.gif

You could probably use a code to unlock them, other than that you just need to do the quest. And not only do you need to kill it, the person who cast wizard ward has to be the one who got the killing blow on it.

I've got 4 classes unlocked, So far my party is:

Mage (Hero) - Probably gonna change to Sage once unlocked
Priest (with a bit into Paladin) - Probably make them into sage (or at least temporary) once I unlock it
Gladiator (was warrior before class change)
Entertainer - Might make it into a Super Star, not sure

100 Tension + Oomph + Clap Trap = HOLY SHIT

My gladiator (lv 22) 1 shot a boss (1500 damage exactly) doing that. The boss at the snowy boarding school in the north to be exact.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I like my main char. as a minstrel. I haven't gotten to where I can change my characters classes yet, but my party so far:

Hero: Minstrel wielding whips
2nd: Mage wielding wands
3rd: Priest wielding spears
4th: Warrior wielding swords

czekers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
online shop is in Storwind's Inn, you have to talk to the lady standing near stairs.

Can anyone describe me thief? Currently my team is
MC - thief
Monk (i don'r reallly remember the name"
WIzard
Priest

TBH, thief doesn't have any good casts or abilities, nor he's weaker than Warrior and Monk. So, propably I'll change him to Ranger
Same about Wizard - his attacks are worse than Monk's, will change him to gladiator...

PS Where can I find metal slimes?

XLarge

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This game is really fun. But the main quest is kind of repetitive. You go to a new city, find out their problem. Raid a dungeon, kill the boss. Problem solved. Backstory gets finished. You go to another city.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XLarge said:
This game is really fun. But the main quest is kind of repetitive. You go to a new city, find out their problem. Raid a dungeon, kill the boss. Problem solved. Backstory gets finished. You go to another city.

Welcome to the world of Dragon Quest. Nah, you're right. I mean, that's pretty much DQ in a nutshell, and you either dig that sort of thing or you don't. That being said, the story elements that color the gameplay are quite varied and deep. That's what, for me, makes these games so engrossing. Each of the little segments you mentioned play out like episodes of a TV series. The formula is always the same, but if you dig the formula, the vignettes are very entertaining. There's also a ton of stuff to break things up with -- alchemy, vocation training, side quests, online shopping.

pitman

Addicted to Magical Girls
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
XLarge said:

That is basically 80% of JRPGs, but the story is nice although sometime predictable (*cough* *cough*) and the gameplay is fun.

Can any one list the attributes and what they represent ?

isamux

Trophies
XP
Country
I found this on another website and I thought it was very helpful: (taken directly from the site, it was quoted from Mr. Arcaeris) Again, NOT me who wrote this, just reposting.
---
Some generally useful tips are that everyone should get 12 points in Monk/Fighter for tameru/BuildUp so they can increase their tension. Also, 100 points in Sage class skill for the -25% MP and +60 MP are rad.

I'll tell you the best classes or best party composition, if you care so much about min/maxing. If you don't want to know, don't mouse over this.

[title:Dragon Quest IX Character Classes/Spoilers?] The only really "easy" strategy for the bonus content bosses (and some tough rear end enemies) is this:

CHARACTER ONE is a Paladin, with the "nioudachi" skill. I'm not sure how to translate this, like, imposing stance, but it's the 82 point Paladin skill. It allows this one character to take every attack for the entire party. It should be noted that attacks that hit the whole group will hit this character 4 times.

You want this character to have all the class skill abilities that give it defense and HP.

You also want this character to have either the Metal King Armor set (Metal Slime gear in A-level treasure dungeon chests and then alchemy to Metal King) or the 4-5 star really rare rear end armor set from killing treasure map bosses (Oroboros's shield, Mythical Armor) depending on the boss. Metal King armor/shield blocks 30% (together) of all types of damage. The other set does I think 35-40% but no Earth or Light resistance. If you don't have this, the Gigant Armor you can buy in St. Stein (the castle town with your inn) is passable. It's +15% against fire ice lightning, I think. The genma (atomic?) shield (atomic shield? you take a magic shield and alchemy it with a crystal and then alchemy that with an evil looking crystal) is also 10% resistance against most stuff.

You want 100 points in Shield, and as high dodge as you can get. This character will never attack, so you should get them either barehanded skills or the fighting staff skills so they get +3% dodge.

This should not be the main character, because the "Cheer" skill is MC only and extremely useful.

CHARACTER TWO is a Priest, with all of the +Wisdom class skills from Paladin, Sage, whoever. The Wisdom skill increases the amount each of your spells can heal. You want gear that increases Wisdom. You also want all the +MP skills and the -25% MP Sage 100 point skill. Having 100 in Staff with this guy isn't a bad idea either.

The beauty of this is that this character can use the 6 MP healing spell (after you have the Sage -25% ability) to heal Character One for like 500 HP. If you don't use this strategy, you will be spending 18+ MP a round healing everyone with MultiHeal. You also can cast the spell that raises one character's defense 50% instead of everyone by 25%, on bosses that hit really hard.

This also should not be the main character.

CHARACTERS THREE AND FOUR one of which should be the main character are the damage dealers. You want the main character to use "Cheer" every round to build tension for the attacker. The MC should be fast.

The other character uses the Buildup/"tameru" skill (12 points in Monk/Fighter class) and, when they get high enough tension, attacks the opponent. You can do this with a spell if you want, or just attack. Different attacks have different damage caps. The regular attack goes to 9999 I think, but attacks like falcon sword/hayabusa kiri skill and tiger claw skill cap at 1999 per hit. So the most you can do with one attack is only 3998, but a regular attack would do more. I don't know what the caps for spells are.

Also, every boss has a weakness that causes more damage. Use an ability with this weakness for each boss.

The 100 point Battlemaster skill scroll is also really useful, as sometimes you will randomly do 2x the damage when you have it in your character's items.

Some bosses use Ice Wave to remove your tension, so you might have Characters Three and Four just both attacking every round. None of the regular story bosses use Ice Wave.

There are other strategies that work, but given how every treasure map boss is more difficult than the main story last boss, this is the strategy that made it the easiest. Anything other than using a Paladin to defend means you spend tons more MP healing and buffing and all that crap, and many classes (like Mage/mahou tsukai) just don't get much defense and the armor they get provides no resistances.
---

Anyone else with any map geared builds?

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just met this fainted guy on dragonquest when you almost find the sculpture guy, and there is this guy fainted and wants a special herbs. I gave him the herbs and then he says "Thank you and here is your reward". Then poof, the game pauses
mellow.gif
. What a bitch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/ajurvXsCdbo?t=225