Hacking Downgrading.

vegemikee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, i have a wii with boot1b and boot2v3, SM4.1E. originally came boxed with 3.4, but used TBR to enable trucha on 36.
im not too keen on using cioscorp, so i want to downgrade back to 3.2 since startpatch allows backup loading via the disc channel. Is it safe to downgrade from 4.1 to 3.2? Im not too fussed with SDHC compatibility, SD loading etc since my other gen1 wii is at 4.1 and completely hacked.
ive searched around for answers on whether its 'safe', but cant really find a solid answer.
thanks in advance

bjorno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dunno if its safe but, why mess with your wii if you can play backups via backup channels? I dont see a reason why you would run via the original disc channel. Just dont do anything to it.. messing with the wii too much ends up with a brick, especially by downgrading happens lots of bricks. (Console that cant do anything)

ratamahatta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
bjorno said:
why mess with your wii if you can play backups via backup channels?
He has a good point here, I was on 3.2 for ages for the same reason, but honestly, updating to 4.2 imo was the best thing i ever did, i had a few probs with 3.2 with certain games, but i have had zero problems since updating.

bjorno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
vegemikee said:
true, but its games like rock band that require disc channel loading for DLC to work.

I think that you only need to install Hermes Cios and then run the game via the hermes Cios.

leondmsmith

Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty sure if you downgrade your likely to brick, depends if the required IOS's are stubbed or not.Can you not go up to 4.2 starting afresh cos your start patch hack can run from that instead of 3.2

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DeadlyFoez said:
It is safe to downgrade your wii as long as you dont have any stubbed IOS's

No it's not. It's safe for somebody who had the menu he is going to downgrade to. If you have one of the newer Wiis, a downgrade to something before 3.4 with the matching IOS will result in a brick. It's the system menu IOS that's critical here. Oh and yeah, you have to be sure the "new" system menu has a not stubbed IOS.

leondmsmith

Trophies
XP
Country
So if i wanted to revert to system menu 3.2 from 4.2 i would install old versions of IOS 30 (NON STUBBED) and the required menu, but only if i was on this previously?

Why can a new (4.X NEW) one not be rolled back if you remove the Stub IOS's then install the required IOS, before the correct system menu?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Downgrading ain't needed for anything
If you want 3.2 just for the hacks, you can better update to 4.1 or 4.2 (which can have startpatch as well)

The reason why some wii's can't downgrade (even without stub ios) is because they have a new version of Boot2 (the thing that boots the system menu). The older IOS (aka the ones for below 3.4) cannot work with this new boot2 version (due timing differences). That results in a brick, no matter what.

Also, 4.2 installs boot2v4 on ALL wii's that don't have it already, so once you got 4.2, never downgrade to below 4.0!

leondmsmith

Trophies
XP
Country
tj_cool said:
Downgrading ain't needed for anything
If you want 3.2 just for the hacks, you can better update to 4.1 or 4.2 (which can have startpatch as well)

The reason why some wii's can't downgrade (even without stub ios) is because they have a new version of Boot2 (the thing that boots the system menu). The older IOS (aka the ones for below 3.4) cannot work with this new boot2 version (due timing differences). That results in a brick, no matter what.

Also, 4.2 installs boot2v4 on ALL wii's that don't have it already, so once you got 4.2, never downgrade to below 4.0!

Thanks TJ Cool, wasnt going to do it anyway, just wanted to know why it shouldnt be done for newwer system menu Wii's =)

vegemikee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
sounds too risky for me, so ill stick with backup launching via neogamma, etc
ill probably invest in a modchip in the future if im going to make more use of the 2nd wii.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
leondmsmith said:
So if i wanted to revert to system menu 3.2 from 4.2 i would install old versions of IOS 30 (NON STUBBED) and the required menu, but only if i was on this previously?

Why can a new (4.X NEW) one not be rolled back if you remove the Stub IOS's then install the required IOS, before the correct system menu?

A Wii would be bricked, because nintendo reduced the hardware costs and something in the IOS boot process takes slightly longer now. All new IOS are written with that in mind, the old ones not and do not work on these Wiis.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1