Downgrade Successful, but Stuck with emuNAND/CFW...

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by AzMa, Jul 11, 2016.

1. AzMa
    OP

AzMa Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Hey guys,

I was following this guide (http://wololo.net/2016/01/04/3ds-system-software-downgrade-tutorial/) and got all the way to the downgrade. Now my Old 3DS XL is successfully sitting at 9.2, but I can't seem to figure out what to do from here.

The only other thing I had done was start trying to get my emuNAND/rxTools functioning by backing up my NAND with the Gateway Browser launcher (instructions from http://3dshacks.wikia.com/wiki/RxTools), which I did successfully, but I've hit a wall now.

Trying to find info on how to actually get rxTools functioning is a headache. The most recent build doesn't seem to have the core rxTools.dat file in it, but the 2.6 build doesn't have a functioning way to fetch the firmware for the toolkit. While the cdn_firm.py from the latest beta build seems to work, the files it generates don't seem anything like what the installation instructions ask for (firmware.bin).

This is what the 3.0 build generates for me...
    [​IMG]

And this is what the 2.6 cdn_firm.py reads when failing to fetch firmware.bin[​IMG]

Am I missing something? Is there something else I should/could be doing? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. hyno111

hyno111 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2014
    Switzerland
    leerz likes this.
  3. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
  4. fikatr

fikatr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
  5. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Umm, sorry but my guide is far from outdated - it's just not a9lh but menuhax. And still absolutely up to date.

6. fikatr

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
    tell me this is a joke

7. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
    Menuhax, by definition, is out of date. Its obsolete.

Use a9lh OP. Its leagues better

8. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    the joke is you saying that my guide is outdated. it's not outdated, like menuhax still is absolutely valid for anyone not wanting to take the risk.
    go write your own guide please and make it not outdated

9. fikatr

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
    bud you got it wrong i was saying this guide was outdated http://wololo.net/2016/01/04/3ds-system-software-downgrade-tutorial/ english is not my main language so i got it wrong too

10. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
  11. John2568

John2568 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    which guide is the easiest guide for noobs like me. I just want to play 3ds games don't care about homebrew and stuff.

thanks for the hard work

12. simba115

simba115 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2010
    United States
    https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

John2568 likes this.
  13. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    "THE" guide mentioned above is the best. It is long, but incredibly broken down into step-by-step so you don't really need to understand what you're doing. And at the end you have the best method currently available.
    Menuhax theoretically takes less time, but requires an understanding of what you're doing since there's so many guides out there and they don't always have the entire picture so you would spend heaps of time troubleshooting and Googling for guides that will help your specific set of circumstances, that it may actually take longer than just doing the best way to start with.

John2568 likes this.
  14. John2568

John2568 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    thanks. and this will do coldboot too

15. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes, best part of a9lh is it needs no special boot, it behaves like a stock console.

16. AzMa
    OP

AzMa Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Hey guys!

Thanks for all the replies. I think I've gotten quite far in the RedNAND steps... but I'm stuck at step 22. I was able to get it to show 'Emu' in the version through Luma, then I restarted into homebrew to format through TinyFormat. Seemed to work out just fine, and so I went to try and get back into homebrew launcher, but I can't seem to get any method to work. I've tried setting it up by changing themes, holding my button on restart, and infinitesimally trying the browserhax website to the point that I've memorized it... but for whatever reason I can't seem to get back into it!

Are there any common mistakes with this step?...

17. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Try the QR code as well. It should go to the same address but at least it's a little faster.

18. AzMa
    OP

AzMa Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    So I should essentially just keep trying? The first few times I used BrowserHax it worked within the first 3 or 4 tries... I must've tried 30+ times now and it's yet to go through. Is that not implausible?

19. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Check your firmware again, I hope you didn't accidentally update :-(

20. AzMa
    OP

AzMa Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Ver 9.2.0-20U

Should be the same with my Emu redNAND... I just can't get to it again because I can't get into homebrew. Just to clarify, I'm at this point...
    1. Open TinyFormat
    2. Press Y to format your SysNAND (Don't worry, everything is still saved on RedNAND)
    3. Go through initial setup without linking your Nintendo Network ID, you want it to remain linked only to RedNAND to prevent issues
    4. Reinstall menuhax on SysNAND as the format will have removed it
    I figure this refers to getting into homebrew again and reinstall menuhax so I can more-easily access homebrew... but for whatever reason I just can't get back into it... :c