vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He could dump the NAND and then replace the o3DS NATIVE_FIRM with the n3DS NATIVE_FIRM, which would be a step in the right direction, but there's still all the o3DS system titles that would almost certainly not load on the n3DS
Well there is one way to find out, I could load a o3ds with n3ds files and see what happens. I can't do this immediately though, tomorrow I have PS3's to downgrade and fix. If anyone had one that is bricked already, they could send it in.

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there is one way to find out, I could load a o3ds with n3ds files and see what happens. I can't do this immediately though, tomorrow I have PS3's to downgrade and fix. If anyone had one that is bricked already, they could send it in.

You could if you wanted, but I very much doubt it would help because the home menu CIA is for the n3DS instead of the o3DS. Hard bricked 3DSs probably won't be able to be unbricked until we either have working Arm9LoaderHax or a way to decrypt NAND files. (Don't hold your breath for that second one).

Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the only thing Nintendo has to do right now to prevent that in future software versions, is to release them with NATIVE_FIRM minor version higher than the current one, ie. 2.51?
It's to my understanding it would have to be a pretty major update? That what I've gathered reading various comments.
Kind of. NATIVE_FIRM can be updated to a new Major Version, a new Minor Version, and a new revision. We can only go between revisions, such as 10.5 to 10.2

It actually doesn't require any really major changes to the system. All they really need to do is push update 10.6.0-30 with 3 file changes. Updated CVer with the 10.6.0 string and updated native_firm and Home Menu titles with VERY minor changes to both. In the case of home menu they update the firm check in the exheader to check for 0x3302. For native_firm it can be functionally identical to the current one, just with a new MINOR version: 2.51.

In fact, they SHOULD have done this when they patched mch2. Not entirely sure WHY the updated native_firm was only a revision update and not listed as a minor version change.

While they cannot realistically patch the exploit this make use of since it is a hardware vulnerability, they can make it functionally useless for us by simply updating the minor version number of the kernel/firm when they patch an arm9 or arm11 exploit. Such a change would then prevent the very thing we are doing in this thread.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You could if you wanted, but I very much doubt it would help because the home menu CIA is for the n3DS instead of the o3DS. Hard bricked 3DSs probably won't be able to be unbricked until we either have working Arm9LoaderHax or a way to decrypt NAND files. (Don't hold your breath for that second one).
The home menu is actually universal between regions. Same file is loaded on O3DS/2DS and N3DS. The bigger problem would be some of the N3DS specific system modules (like NIM and AM, oddly enough NS is universal). Though if he can at least get as far as the home menu and access system settings he MIGHT be able to fix it with a system update, since both home menu and system settings are universal. Again though the lack of a N3DS AM module might fuck him.

I stand slightly corrected. After checking yls8's site it seems there are actually very few N3DS unique system modules (ALL of the safe_mode ones are, but we are interested in the normal ones). Looks like GSP, i2c, MCU, PTM, spi and qtm are the only ones that he would need to be worried about. I know GSP is a sound module so its probably not essential (though depending on how it errors you could get anything from no sound at all to a full stop of the system loading). Not sure about the others but I THINK qtm is the head tracking module (not 100% sure though).

Last edited by Aroth,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yea! Because this Exploit automatically installs a Hardmod to their system

I admire your attempt at a rude, sarcastic remark.. However, I don't believe you can do this without a hardmod.. So, good try though. A for effort.

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Home Menu has unique title id's per region. So no, Home Menu is not the same for each region. NATIVE_FIRM however is the same for all region consoles as far as I can tell.
I see the info on U vs J vs E as far as home menu goes, but I don't see anything that says new and old are different.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Home Menu has unique title id's per region. So no, Home Menu is not the same for each region. NATIVE_FIRM however is the same for all region consoles as far as I can tell.

Most of the core system titles are actually universal between hardware, though occasionally unique for a region. Native_Firm is one of the few that is NOT universal and has unique versions for O3DS and N3DS, though that is to be expected since it is the kernel and has to handle interactions between the system modules and the hardware itself.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I see the info on U vs J vs E as far as home menu goes, but I don't see anything that says new and old are different.

You mean Home Menu for n3DS and o3DS? In that case they are the same. n3DS does indeed use the same title id for Home Menu as the o3DS does.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, what I said was false. As far as I can tell from https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Home_Menu, the home menu CIA is the same for both n3DS and o3DS. Now I'm wondering how much of the system you need functioning to perform a CUP...

It is not different between New and Old at all. Nearest I can tell the guy in question SHOULD be able to get his system to boot in some manner (albeit not fully functional by any means) as long as he can get a proper firm0/firm1 partition injected.

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not different between New and Old at all. Nearest I can tell the guy in question SHOULD be able to get his system to boot in some manner (albeit not fully functional by any means) as long as he can get a proper firm0/firm1 partition injected.
Exactly. Which is why I said I was wondering how much of the system you'd need to work to get a CUP (Card Update off a game card) to work to then update everything to work properly.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This just got me really hyped omg! I really need a hardmod! To bad they're like 55$ or higher to get a hardmod service :unsure:

Contact me, I have 2 different prices. A downgrade only option / and a leave installed option.
Exactly. I offer different prices depending on the service chosen. There are permanent installs or just downgrade/unbricking services.

Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. Which is why I said I was wondering how much of the system you'd need to work to get a CUP (Card Update off a game card) to work to then update everything to work properly.

Well, considering that it looks like most of the system modules I listed earlier (GSP, MCU, i2s and spi, specifically) are what handle memory mapping and reading/writing from the various registries (at least from what I am seeing on 3dbrew) I think he is probably fucked. It wouldn't hurt to try and if he get can at least get the home menu to load then he MIGHT be able to use a CUP or even access system settings and update that way (actually he would need to in order to fix several N3DS unique files that are only touched by NUPs, like NVer and the browser).

That said I strongly suspect that even if he got the right data in firm0/firm1, his system would still fail to load since it seems those N3DS unique modules would be needed to properly access the cpu and memory. Make sense to considering the N3DS has a faster cpu with larger registers and more ram, all of which would not be properly mapped or accessed by O3DS versions of those modules.

Last edited by Aroth,

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, considering that it looks like most of the system modules I listed earlier (GSP, MCU, i2s, PTM and spi, specifically) are what handle memory mapping and reading/writing from the various registries (at least from what I am seeing on 3dbrew) I think he is probably fucked. It wouldn't hurt to try and if he get can at least get the home menu to load then he MIGHT be able to use a CUP or even access system settings and update that way (actually he would need to in order to fix several N3DS unique files that are only touched by NUPs, like NVer and the browser).

That said I strongly suspect that even if he got the right data in firm0/firm1, his system would still fail to load since it seems those N3DS unique modules would be needed to properly access the cpu and memory. Make sense to considering the N3DS has a faster cpu with larger registers and more ram, all of which would not be properly mapped or accessed by O3DS versions of those modules.

It's a long shot but maybe. I know for certain NUP is pretty much out of the question, but a CUP might just work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone +2