Homebrew Dosbox .conf and .map files collection for Wiiflow

marduk666

THE INFINITE NOOB
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yous guys ever heard of HX DOS extender, It's suppost to let you run win32 games through DOS

Here's a Cut and paste from here http://www.japheth.de/

"The HX DOS extender is pretty well known in the DOS world. It has some features quite unique among these kind of products, allowing to run Win32 console and (some) GUI applications on DOS systems."

there's a conversation about it going on over at DOS ain't dead, but it's over my head.
http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/mix_entry.php?id=10642

Anyway Thanks for the config files it's alot of work to make things run at the click of an icon--but worth it.

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
marduk666

That is very interesting. I'm gonna look into that further windows is such a resource hog and is not very reliable on a dosbox platform if win32 apps can be run from DOS this would be ideal especially for dosboxwii users :) .

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Never heard about it, thanks for the suggestion. However dosbox-wii itself should need some more optimization, because at present state it can emulate only a slow 386, so I have doubts about good performances for win32 games, but who knows...:)
If only some dev could add a dynamic core in dosbox-wii (not sure if it's even possible), performances would greatly increase opening new possibilities.

marduk666

THE INFINITE NOOB
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little follow up on the HX extender...
It's been a year or so since I dicked with it last, and I never got anything to run...
That being said If memory serves the problem with running it on dosbox was dosbox loads the file HX is replacing or something to that effect. But I'm sure there is a way to get it to work, it may take compiling it yourself.? Also I think it will only open programs that only draw one window.

Anyway I'm not strong in Dos, like I say I was just dicking around trying to get a Sharpx1 dos emulator to boot on my wii, which I did successfully, but the emulator was in japanese and I couldn't figure out how to load anything. I belive the trick was to use the DOS/32A extender. I here that helps several games.

One more thing ECSS was modifying/updating DOSbox wii on this thread http://gbatemp.net/threads/dosbox-wii.153653/page-11 I don't know if it was ever merged with the main DOSboxwii or what there hasn't been any action on that thread for over a year, but it's worth looking into if you haven't seen it.

wheeew... Long Post

XICO2KX

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Great work, Tetsuo Shima!;)
Do you have a list of the Wiimote/Nunchunk/Classic Controller button codes that we can use to modify/create our own custom key mapper file?:yaywii:
Where did you found those secret codes, by the way? :P

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks mate. Sorry, I don't have button codes. I made all my mapper files myself from Dosbox-wii, if you have an USB keyboard, press ctrl+F1 and then set your keys and save the mapper.
Before you do it, remember to edit your .conf files adding under the [sdl] section mapperfile=nameofthegame.map and under [joystick] section joysticktype=fcs
This way you can do arrow binding to the d-pad

Reactions: MassiveRican

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
marduk666 Yes I was aware of that version, but I see that it's based on Dosboxwii 1.6. so it's a bit outdated. Also, like Excelsiior said in that thread, that arm7 optimization adds no real benefit for the Wii ppc architecture. But to be honest I must say that I never tried it.

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can find a list of the keyboard codes here. The list for the buttons there.

For example, you want [N] key assigned to the first wiimote button +.
The 1rst wiimote is identified as 0. Look for 'SDLK_n' in SDL_keysym.h. It gives you '110'.
Button + is '5'. The result is : key_n "stick_0 button 5" "key 110"

This way you can do arrow binding to the d-pad

Last time I tried, you couldn't assign keys to the wiimote pad. Tantric comfirmed this in his bugtracker.
Maybe I missed something though. Epic pinball, which is unplayable with a joystick, was 1 of the few games I tried the mapping to no avail and had to harcode the keys in the source code.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
With joysticktype=fcs in your .conf file you can. Most of my map files have arrow keys binded to the wiimote pad, and I can confirm that they work.
The nice thing is that you can assign keys to wiimote, nunchuck and CC separately, this means that if you have the wiimote and CC plugged together you have a total of 34 keys at your disposal.
Very good for many dos games, as they often used a lot of keys

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If only I had known this sooner! Too much time looking for complicated ways when the solution was so simple.
Well, at least I know now, so thanks.

jinx2131

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't believe I have not seen this thread until now! This is awesome! Thanks Tetsuo for doing this! I would love to try and figure out how to do this myself, help you add to the collection! I'll be on holidays in another week. Will test and research then.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Using them with the Wiiflow plugin is much simpler and you have the advantage of separate game configurations, plus a wonderful interface with 3D covers
With the standalone emulator you are limited to use just one dosbox.conf which is in the folder where you .dol is located.
If you don't want to use Wiiflow copy the content of my .conf file and paste it in your dosbox.conf, copy the map file in usb:/dosbox and put your game in usb:/dosbox/games/another
(I assume from the other topic that you want to play Another World ;)).
But I repeat, give Wiiflow a try. It' simply gorgeous

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys how are ya? So The 11th Hour still isn't compatible with ScummVM, bummer :glare:

Ok been awhile since I visited the thread and since I finally got my HDD and am currently re-doing my entire setup, I decided to put even more dosbox games and configure them properly. I've taken lots of tips from your pre-made .conf files Tetsuo Shima and spent more time than I've wanted going through DOSBox tutorials and learning some basics of how this works lol. I've been able to get most things working with good sound and no problems.

There are a few commands/parameters I wanted some info on, if you or @sion_zaphodcould clear things up, time willing, that would be great. My main concerns are a .conf for the 11th hour which I see sion_zaphod has provided which is great, any chance we could get the mapper file too? :creep:

I understand all the commands in autoexec for the 11th hour it seems normal and is what I've learned through tutorials on how to mount and play ISO files. In Win7 I already have it up and running.

Now I d/loaded a pre-made pack off a site with Star Wars Dark Forces in it, and it had it's own .conf file, an img file and path. My main question is wtf is this?:
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup
@ Echo off

mount -u c:
mount -u d:

imgmount c: usb:/dosbox/hddimg/dos.img -t hdd -size 512,16,2,960
imgmount g: usb:/dosbox/hddimg/swdf.img -t hdd
-size 512,63,4,568

boot -l c
#mount d usb:/dosbox/games/swdf

cls
#d:

#dark

#Path=c:/;c:/dos;c:/windows
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
The orange bold parts are what I don't understand, mostly why dos.img is being mounted and what are the -size parameter which look like sector sizes to me. boot -l c eludes me, can't find its uses on Vogon and why the hell are the last mount line & d:/dark commented out? Other than that I just had a question regarding the .conf for lemmings posted here.
Code:
lemvga -v -o (What are the -v -o  for?)
and what does ↓ do?
Code:
@ Echo off

Is this .conf file even going to work on the Wii?

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
That conf file looks mighty familiar :0) . I wrote it! I found that booting into a native Dos environment to run Dark forces had slightly better results i.e game ran faster. It is still playable directly from dosboxwii. I will provide you with a mapper file for 11th hour (not really necessary for that game though because it uses the mouse as primary controller and the wiimote is sufficient to replicate mouse functions) and a better conf for Dark Forces. Give me a bump tomorrow evening I've got to go to bed now and got a long day planned with my daughter tomorrow, but I'll sort you out those files in the evening.

P.s the lemmings conf has command line parameters that start the game in vga mode as opposed to ega from what I remember. Can't remember what the other switches are for at the mo but I think they were to skip certain prompts while the game was loading to allow you to go straight to the game. Try removing the switches to see what happens when you run it.
Also the @ Echo off command is a dos batch command that hides all commands executed in batch (just to make the screen look neat and tidy :0))

I'm a bit of a Dos veteran so if you have any questions relating to commands or how to make a dosbox conf please pm me rather than post to forums.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
U got it! It's great to be able to have someone knowledgeable to turn to. Have fun with your daughter tomorrow, I'm watching the adventures of Tin Tin with mine right now lol, today was my long day with her. No biggie if you don't have time tomorrow, I'll catch up with you soon, thanks for the help and info.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol