Homebrew Dosbox .conf and .map files collection for Wiiflow

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I may have this completely wrong, but you might be able to make banners for wiiflow, really simply, using the key mapping artwork you've done. As I recall, the banner file is an array of image files named and played in sequential order. You'd just have to find out the format and copy the same image however many times. Not by hand, obvs, but bang, custom banner.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually, it's just easier to put it on the back of your covers. Still, a thought.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, I think that the idea of custom banners with control mappings is really nice and I would gladly work on something like that but, as far as I know, custom banners are only possible for Wii, GC games and channels, not for emulator plugins.
As for your other idea (to put them on the back of the covers) I prefer not to do it, because my aim was to just make faithful reproductions of the original boxes. But you're free to modify them as you wish and create a cover set with control mappings with very little effort, using some program like GIMP:)

Reactions: kaisersozeh

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks for your reply fella! Didn't occur to me emulators won't have banners. Still, the custom banner code is already within wiiflow and you only need to display an image on the x view and decide whether to play or choose another game. If you think it's functionality worth having, it might be asking a wiiflow dev to see if it's worth the effort. Might be worth tagging the wiiflow lite person, wiiflow is creaking a bit.
Idea for a work around - you could group the games with the same map to a plugin that uses your art on a cover in the source flow menu. I understand the dev is plannig on getting rid of all the source menus except the small source flow, which might be too small a format to feature the detail you'd need. Short term answer til then tho. If I can offer any help, I've coincidentally just downloaded gimp for the first time in years
Edit: Hope it's acceptable behaviour to tag @AbdallahTerro and @fledge68
That's OK?

Last edited by kaisersozeh,

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't know how many people would be interested in such a thing, but one can always ask. A simpler solution IMHO would be to just make an alternative set of covers with mappings, keeping the same names, and overwite them to the originals

Edit: Something like this
Commander Keen 4 - Secret of the Oracle.conf.png

Last edited by Tetsuo Shima,

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how many people would be interested in such a thing, but one can always ask. A simpler solution IMHO would be to just make an alternative set of covers with mappings, keeping the same names, and overwite them to the originals

Edit: Something like this
View attachment 120185

I say make it happen.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You know what would be really amazing? the ability to access a jpeg, pdf, even just some text file, by pressing the home button while running an emulator.
Like viewing the e-manual in VC games. Something like this:
DOSBox_Home_Button_Menu.jpg
This would be expecially useful for pc games (dosbox and scummvm) to view control mappings, manuals, walkthroughs or codes.
I don't know if this is even possible, but I think that if no one has made it yet, maybe it's because it can't be made.

Last edited by Tetsuo Shima,

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As you ha e everything, do you fancy throwing it all in to a zip, conf, covers map artwork, upload it and message me a link?
Also, a document viewer is a great idea. I reckon usbloader gx is an outstanding bit of software and wiiflow services only chance if being relevant in the future is as a emulator and media browser.
Wiixplorer is open source and displays texts... wiiflow we know displays images!
The guy who did abz help plugin did it using images of text on the back of the biggest covers in a custom cover flow. Clever.
It could certainly do with losing a few weird setup idiosyncrasies, maybe it's just part it's charm! I use it loads, the wiiflow lite update is definitely welcome.
Talking about wiiflow and wiixplorer wiiflow already includes wiixplorer code - it's in the thank you notes. But a big pain the arse setting it up is not being able to select paths. If wiiflow booted wiixplorer with an argument label asking to boot wiiflow with a selected path in an argument with the returned label. A wiixplorer plugin for wiiflow instead of reinventing the wheel.
Wiimc+ got quite sophisticated, accepts arguments. Loads of opportunity to expand wiiflows functionality using film and TV, music artwork from existing databases, using code already written there. As a wimc+ plugin, I mean. It's finding someone with the knowhow, the time and the inclination! :-)

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Of course, I will send you a PM with the link ;)
Regarding the ability to open game docs, what I was saying is that it would be ideal to be able to do it in-game instead of doing it in wiiflow. However, the real problem is that it would require important modifications to the dosbox original emulator, then converting it all into a new wiiflow plugin. However it's very unlikely that the original authors will take the time to do it, many of them are no more active on the wii scene.
One thing that comes to my mind is that the newest ScummVm plugin (mod15 by Wiimpathy) has the abiity to use a Gameboy advance as a secondary screen/controller to do a similar thing for scumm games, using a link cable in the first gamecube port.

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That wiimpathy guy is a flipping genius. I see, use the home menu to invoke a text reader without leaving the emulator. If someone did code it, once, and included a menu option to continue to the homebrew normal home key menu, you could maybe use it as a standard across wii plugins, the same piece of code dropped into open source homebrew that hijacks the home key.

By implementing a standard, I mean calling it an acronym you can put on the end of something to denote it has this standard. Maybe include wiiflow or argument accepting capability.
So for example text in game, tig. Text in menu, tim.?
VbagxTim

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Unfotunately there are no emulators with such a feature:(
I mean to say, all of them are open source, and of those that are in active development, you can just ask them to drop in this standardised home menu code that can open their menu or include their own buttons for the same bit of code. Wiixplorer definitely reads texts of various format so the code exists. In fact lots if homebrew has a mockup of the standard wii menu anyway, including wiixplorer, I suppose it's finding a small one everyone could use? I dunno. Time to ask a grown up....know any ;)?

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Changes after WiiFlow
list of changes or differences from wiiflow.

Added:
* added custom banners for plugin games. no longer using trialer thp videos as banners for plugin games. put your custom banners in the custom banner folder plus the plugin cover folder and name them the same as the rom with extension plus .bnr just like how you do for the covers. to make a plugin game banner i suggest downloading one of abdallahterro's custom gamecube dios mios booter channels and use customizemii to change the images (and sound if you want). make sure the images match exactly the size of the one's already there. when changes are done extract the banner and rename it and put it in the proper folder as previously mentioned.
I'm going to have a go at getting this to work and do the covers if I fail....

Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'll get an A title working, you can start from Z! ;)
TBH I'm setting up dosbox for the first time so I may have a little learning curve to get through first....

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'll have to install wiiflow lite first, I never used it before. I'd like to know if it can coexist with the old wiiflow on the same usb device, or if it can create conflicts in my wiiflow data folder. I really don't want to mess up things with my setup

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've had them side by side before without issue

That's just FYI, don't blame you for being cautious!

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No problem, man :-) I wanted to do some extra research because I have priiloader configured to start wiiflow at boot. Now I found out that there's the "wfl as wiiflow" version.
However I tried creating a banner for x-wing following fledge68's instructions but it doesn't show. Tryin' to figure out why...

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Been caught up with quake gx usb mod type thing. The app works off usb!
Will post when completely ready, but wanted to get working as a plugin with wiiflow and then make one update rather than faffing everyone about.
As I'm stuck on that, I'll have a go at this!

Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem, man :-) I wanted to do some extra research because I have priiloader configured to start wiiflow at boot. Now I found out that there's the "wfl as wiiflow" version.
However I tried creating a banner for x-wing following fledge68's instructions but it doesn't show. Tryin' to figure out why...
can you show me the filename of your rom/game and the filename of your custom banner? and where are you putting your custom banner? i'm busy with real life but may find time to help.

example:

rom filename - donkey kong country.zip
cover filename - donkey kong country.zip.png
custom banner - donkey kong country.zip.bnr

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey fledge68 thanks for helping me out!!:)
The game name is X-Wing.conf
cover filename: X-Wing.conf.png
custom banner: X-Wing.conf.bnr

I put the banner in the custom_banners folder and in the cover folder but it doesn't show in wfl
I made the banner following the instructions on Wfl's thread
It' this one if you want to take a look

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1