Shano56

noobie
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
A new version of devkitPPC and libogc was released a few days ago. According to the changelog it fixed bugs that Daco and I bitched about relentlessly which broke DOP-Mii and priiloader. This resulted in a lot of rewriting on both our parts (probably for the better though to be honest) to comply with the newer libogc. Unfortunately, DOP-Mii was still not perfect for everyone. I probably get at least one or two messages a week from someone reporting a crash and I usually can't distinguish if it's a rare case not being refused to be handled that exposes a libogc bug which I don't check for or if it's someone incorrectly using DOP-Mii.

Anyways, I'm really overtired so I'll stop blathering. If you can, please try out the BETA .dol linked to at the end of this post. Let me know if it fixes stuff for you, gives you new problems, or if nothing changes for you. Assuming that this fixes stuff (syscheck no longer crashes on my end) for everyone I can probably get rid of most if not all of the code I wrote in to not load certain IOSs with certain patches and then try another beta release ... and if that works then do an official release and then finally get back to adding features to DOP-Mii instead of fixing existing stuff.

As always thanks for your patience on this and for all of the support. I would've given up on this project a long time ago if it weren't for all the awesome people out there.

Download: http://dop-mii.googlecode.com/files/boot.dol
Source: http://arikadosblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/d...i-v16-beta.html

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's funny how people who don't know what they're doing blame all their problems on libogc, when they can't even pinpoint the bugs.

OArikadoO

Trophies
Website
arikadosblog.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
It's funny how people who don't know what they're doing blame all their problems on libogc, when they can't even pinpoint the bugs.
That's a tad uncalled for. When a program works perfectly when compiled under an older revision of libogc but crashes upon doing something as rudimentary as an loading an IOS under a newer libogc revision than even a non-coder could tell you what's causing the problem. I've been busy with school so I apologize for doing little more than sending Daco some stack traces I ran. If I have anymore issues with the new release I'll be sure to work to more descriptively pinpoint the source of the problem and contact you directly if necessary since I actually have some free time on my hands now. Thank you very much to you and the other libogc developers for fixing the problems within the SDK. I really do appreciate it.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OArikadoO said:
That's a tad uncalled for. When a program works perfectly when compiled under an older revision of libogc but crashes upon doing something as rudimentary as an loading an IOS under a newer libogc revision than even a non-coder could tell you what's causing the problem. I've been busy with school so I apologize for doing little more than sending Daco some stack traces I ran.
That demonstrates exactly what I'm talking about:
- Loading a new IOS in the middle of execution is not rudimentary. It never happens in non-homebrew (only at the beginning or end of execution) and overwrites a large chunk of MEM2. If you've malloc'd any memory at all (framebuffer? IOS subsystem heaps?) there's a chance it will get trashed.
- Unless you've debugged a problem, you shouldn't be placing the blame on anything. Problems like stack overflows or overwriting read-only memory can go undiscovered for months and then suddenly appear out of nowhere when you recompile.
- Several times I've heard people blame libogc for being buggy but examination of their code reveals mistakes like polling pads in the vsync callback or returning a pointer to stack memory from a function.

Good programmers find bugs and submit patches, bad programmers point fingers and lay blame. Experience has left me with little patience for the latter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro